Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Curb Damage Repair - Anyone recommend?

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2006, 02:07 PM
SonicStanGirl
2nd Gear Member

Default Curb Damage Repair - Anyone recommend?

Hey guys (and gals)....

I saw a truck yesterday that had a sign on it advertising "curb damage repair for wheels". Said they come to your home/office and fix wheel damage right there. Anyone use this type of service in Souther California before (or anywhere for that matter)?

My GT kissed a curb shortly after I got her [sm=oopssign.gif](a fairly small spot on the lip of the rim) and I'm wondering if this type of mobile repair is worth looking into?

Any thoughts? Or referrals for a good company?

Thanks! [sm=thanx.gif]

Old 04-12-2006, 03:11 PM
hottymustang
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: Curb Damage Repair - Anyone recommend?

I haven't heard of such a thing, although, what would they do do a ding or scratch in the wheel? And are they aftermarkets or stockies? If they are stockies I wouldn't worry too much about it if you are going to replace them. But if they are aftermarkets, first I would be yelling at myself, then I might look into it.
Old 04-12-2006, 04:07 PM
SonicStanGirl
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: hottymustang

I haven't heard of such a thing, although, what would they do do a ding or scratch in the wheel? And are they aftermarkets or stockies? If they are stockies I wouldn't worry too much about it if you are going to replace them. But if they are aftermarkets, first I would be yelling at myself, then I might look into it.

What would they do to a ding or scratch in the wheel....they would most likely buff it out so it is not as apparent. Yep, my stockies bit a curb and have a scratched up spot on the lip of the rim. Ya...they are just stock rims...but to me...the blemish annoys the crap out of me.
Old 04-12-2006, 04:08 PM
TinPony
3rd Gear Member

do a search on "curb rash" and you will find a couple threads that will help you.
Old 04-12-2006, 04:17 PM
hottymustang
2nd Gear Member

I would ask to see some pics of the wheels that they have previously fixed. I have a scratch on one of my wheels from the tire shop when I rotated the tires the first time. I didn't see it right away, so they said that they didn't do it, go figure.

And do a search, that might help....lol.
Old 04-12-2006, 06:41 PM
Menace
5th Gear Member

Damn women drivers... I'll tell ya...

Lol, jk.

It would be somewhat strange for them to come out and be able to fix the wheel in your garage... Depending on the damage, they might need to remove the wheel from the tire, so they either do it the old fashioned way and potentionally damage the wheel even more, or they have a machine... Which means they have like a van/or tow their equipment...

It's kinda tricky... I'd call them up and see what they have to say... Also, see if they come out and do free estimates.
Old 04-12-2006, 06:45 PM
TinPony
3rd Gear Member

Its totally dependent on the severity of the damage.........minor ones are fairly easy
Old 04-12-2006, 08:14 PM
SonicStanGirl
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Menace

Damn women drivers... I'll tell ya...

Lol, jk.

It would be somewhat strange for them to come out and be able to fix the wheel in your garage... Depending on the damage, they might need to remove the wheel from the tire, so they either do it the old fashioned way and potentionally damage the wheel even more, or they have a machine... Which means they have like a van/or tow their equipment...

It's kinda tricky... I'd call them up and see what they have to say... Also, see if they come out and do free estimates.
You are sure lucky you wrote "jk" after that comment buck-o! LOL! And no I didn't just hit a curb by not paying attention. It was a crazy curb set up coming out of a parking structure with a piece of the curb that came into the lane in a very odd place...one I couldn't see form the driver side of the car. It killed me when I felt it.

I'll be calling that number I saw and inquiring. I can't imagine they would want to work on a rim when the tires on there anyway...and the advertisment on the guys truck said they "come to you". We'll see.

I take it no one on this board has used this type of service before.
Old 04-12-2006, 09:22 PM
Stang Skeleton
3rd Gear Member

You might want to go down to the local wheel/tire shop and see what they say. They can usually refinish minor scratches etc. Sometime they will also weld metal into the chip and then refinish it. If it is small, just refinish it to get most of it out and u may just have to live with the rest. Or else get a new wheel/wheels ;-) As for the mobile company, i dont know about that. That seems a bit sketchy.
Old 04-12-2006, 09:54 PM
MikeVistaBlue06
I ♥ Acer

My GT kissed a curb shortly after I got her [sm=oopssign.gif](a fairly small spot on the lip of the rim) and I'm wondering if this type of mobile repair is worth looking into?
Sorry to hear that SSG. [sm=sorry.gif]

I did the same @%@$#W$%ing thing last Sunday exiting a drive through ATM. They had "dog legged" the exit and I didn't see it so I tried to "4 wheel" the curb as I left.

Everyone in a 3 block radius could hear me cussing when I got out of the car and saw the scratch. [sm=headbang.gif] Fortunately it is just right on the edge of the wheel. I don't see how folks with 20" rims keep them intact!

So I too am looking for a little repair on my Bluebonnet!

Thx,

Mike

Quick Reply: Curb Damage Repair - Anyone recommend?