Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Gas rating recommendation

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2006, 02:59 AM
Firststang05

Default Gas rating recommendation

When I bought the car the salesman told me I could use regular 87. Is that all I have to use or do I need to run higher? 05 GT
Old 04-13-2006, 03:00 AM
93BlackNotch
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: Gas rating recommendation

The car with a stock tune will actually run better with 87...
Old 04-13-2006, 08:40 AM
jts
2nd Gear Member

87 Octane,as in the owners manual.
Until you go the CAI & Tune route.
Old 04-13-2006, 10:31 PM
Stang Skeleton
3rd Gear Member

Depends on how you like to feed her. If you plan on doing a descent amount of performance mods, go with 91. It really helps the engine. If not, 87 will run fine. Maybe a compromise; 89.
Old 04-13-2006, 10:40 PM
viking396
5th Gear Member

87 octane is garbage, Ford tells you the minimum to use, people use it, that doesn't mean it's best for it. If you have a bone stock Mustang, use 89, the extra 2 points helps make sure you are at least at just above the minimum recommended. Also 87 octane contains nothing to keep injecotrs clean, 89 and above does.
Old 04-13-2006, 10:43 PM
93BlackNotch
2nd Gear Member

My car went faster on 87 then it did on 93.... Their is no difference between 87-89 octane... All gas has the same **** in it...Unless you need a higher octane because of a tune run 87... It has the same additives 89 does...
Old 04-13-2006, 10:47 PM
chrisc
5th Gear Member

i fill up 87, sometimes 89, but if you tune your car to something higher (and if you continue to mod you will probably do that evnetually) you will need to use the other kind

but i dont think that it really matters stock
Old 04-13-2006, 10:57 PM
viking396
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 93BlackNotch

My car went faster on 87 then it did on 93.... Their is no difference between 87-89 octane... All gas has the same **** in it...Unless you need a higher octane because of a tune run 87... It has the same additives 89 does...
Congrats, you own the first car to go faster on 87 than on 93 in the history of cars... and no, 87 does not have the same additives as 89 or higher. If it does I'll need proof because around here it sure doesn't. Oh and there is a difference between 87 and 89, 2 points and that can be the difference between knock and no knock.

I have a buddy who refuses to use above 87 octane, and he has the worst engine knock I'e ever heard and he gets lousy mpg, but he is convinced that since GM says use 87, it must be the right choice.

When fuel is injected into the cylinder, compressed and ignited, one of two things can happen. It either burns quickly and smoothly, shoving the piston down with a strong, even push, or it explodes all at once, releasing its energy in a sudden burst of heat and pressure. This explosion is called knocking or pinging, and it's something engineers like to call "really bad."

Knock is usually ill timed, occurring early in the combustion cycle when the crank and rod are still straight up or even worse, still trying to complete the compression stroke. As a result, all the energy released slams into the top of the piston without actually turning the crank.

So, use 87..... but of for my car that cost me nearly 30k, I'll toss in 89, and now 93 becuase it's tuned for it, better safe than sorry.
Old 04-13-2006, 11:47 PM
MusiccityGT
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: viking396

ORIGINAL: 93BlackNotch

Congrats, you own the first car to go faster on 87 than on 93 in the history of cars... and no, 87 does not have the same additives as 89 or higher. If it does I'll need proof because around here it sure doesn't. Oh and there is a difference between 87 and 89, 2 points and that can be the difference between knock and no knock.

I have a buddy who refuses to use above 87 octane, and he has the worst engine knock I'e ever heard and he gets lousy mpg, but he is convinced that since GM says use 87, it must be the right choice.

When fuel is injected into the cylinder, compressed and ignited, one of two things can happen. It either burns quickly and smoothly, shoving the piston down with a strong, even push, or it explodes all at once, releasing its energy in a sudden burst of heat and pressure. This explosion is called knocking or pinging, and it's something engineers like to call "really bad."

Knock is usually ill timed, occurring early in the combustion cycle when the crank and rod are still straight up or even worse, still trying to complete the compression stroke. As a result, all the energy released slams into the top of the piston without actually turning the crank.

So, use 87..... but of for my car that cost me nearly 30k, I'll toss in 89, and now 93 becuase it's tuned for it, better safe than sorry.
Preach it brother! I agree. I have no choice but to ue 93 with my custom tune, otherwise I have to fear the dreaded detonation!
Old 04-13-2006, 11:51 PM
93BlackNotch
2nd Gear Member

The higher the octane, the harder it is to burn.... If you have a stock motor and put 116 octane in it, it will barley run... If your motor is a high compression motor, forced induction, or if the car is tuned for it you need the higher octane, but on a stock motor it's not necessary... I could floor it in 5th gear at 1000rpms and it wouldn't ping at all... 87 burns fast and clean in a stock motored, stock tuned, Mustang... I hate people that think if they run a tank of 93 every few months the car will run better, or it will "clean it out"... All it means is you don't know jack **** about cars or motors....

Quick Reply: Gas rating recommendation