Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Buying a Mustang GT process?

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2006, 11:52 AM
Juntech
3rd Gear Member

Default Buying a Mustang GT process?

Ok, so do i order one, put $1000 down, then put more downpayment down when it gets to the dealership? How does that work? Do i have any bargaining power if i order a mustang? I know if the car was already on the lot, i could talk it down, but do they not negotiate if you order?
Old 04-13-2006, 12:01 PM
LEJAY
I ♥ Acer

Default RE: Buying a Mustang GT process?

My dealer ordered for me at $0 down, your dealer could be different.
YOU can negotiate at ordering, in fact it's "presold", so the dealer knows it's gone when delivered. So, you can negotiate a price. In fact, I'm getting mine at invoice, with the dealer keeping the "holdback"
You had better hurry, you are probably too late for an '06, and '07's will be a different situation, as far as negotiating a price.
GOOD LUCK !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 04-13-2006, 12:05 PM
6xStang
3rd Gear Member

when it gets to the dealership, you BUY it. If you finance the car then the amount of "additional" downpayment depends on your financing deal.

You can always negotiate a price. Often dealers will try to convince you to buy a car out of stock, since it costs them money to have inventory.

You can usually get just as good a deal on an ordered car as on one in stock. An ordered car, even at a steep discount, is a low risk transaction for them since the car is paid for, with a profit, almost immediately. The get the $$ over invoice, they get their holdback, they will likely get the service/warranty work, and it helps the dealer's overall numbers.
Old 04-13-2006, 12:11 PM
UrS4
4th Gear Member

I would think $1000 down is too much to put an order through, $200-500 should be plenty. The dealership will most likely do it with a credit card. When the car comes in, it is yours first unless you decide to pass, it happens, sometimes the wait is too long and you buy something else. Remember, you might think you are ordering one and the dealer just gets lucky and finds one with the same options at another dealership and does a trade to get that particular car. Of course they tell you that, so they shouldn't lie to you. Do you still have barganing power, yes! If they trade another dealer for it and it is not a perfect match, you have plenty of leverage. If you are ordering an 06, you have leverage when the car comes in because it will show up right before the 07 and you are buying a 1 year old 'new' car when you could have waited. You always have the opportunity to get a better deal until the keys are in your hands and you already paid for it. If you say no after they find the car you wanted, they may think you are a jerk but they can always sell it to the next guy so don't feel too bad if you hold out for a better deal.

Hope this helps.
Old 04-13-2006, 12:59 PM
skm52670
1st Gear Member

I ordered my '06 after the dealer couldn't find an exact match. Put $250 down to secure the order. Could've paid more down at arrival and financed the balance. I actually used the equity in my home to pay for the car. I'm paying interest either way, why not get a tax deduction for it, eh?

My salesman is really cool and I've bought several vehicles from him so he gives me the low down on how his dealership works.
He told me that you can actually get a better deal if you order vs. buying off the lot because the dealership sees it as an instant sale, and they pay no inventory fees. Knowing this bit of info, I'll never buy another off the lot. As they say, Patience is a virtue. I'll gladly wait 6-8 weeks if I don't have to haggle over the price.

I did my research on Edmunds to get the price. Made my offer (invoice) , and my salesman comes back with the counter offer that was just $200 over my asking price! All because I orderd the car. Being a repeat customer is a big plus as well. It helps when the salesman knows he has a definate buyer.
Old 04-13-2006, 01:12 PM
LEJAY
I ♥ Acer

I'm no expert, but, I'm pretty sure that interest deduction won't fly with the IRS. If you ain't filed yet (like me) Check with your accountant, or read your tax book.
Old 04-13-2006, 02:30 PM
persistantthug
2nd Gear Member

I still don't understand why many of you people are having to order 2006 mustangs and its the middle of April already.
Old 04-13-2006, 02:37 PM
LEJAY
I ♥ Acer

What do mean ?
Old 04-13-2006, 02:43 PM
Juntech
3rd Gear Member

Man, thanx soo much for the info. I was told at every dealer to give 1k down to order and ive always been suspicious. Thanx again guys
Old 04-13-2006, 03:30 PM
Leddhedd

I ordered my 06 convertible in Sept of 05, mainly because there wasn't one on any of the lots in the Northwest that had everything I wanted. The dealer was really nice about it, and I got it for $250 over MSRP, which seemed like a good deal to me. He didn't ask for any specific amount of down payment, either. I just offered to put $1000 down 'cause that's how much I had at the time. I ended up paying cash for it when it finally arrived, since I had come into some extra money. My only problem was that it took three and a half months to get the car. Well worth the wait, though!

Quick Reply: Buying a Mustang GT process?