Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

new mustang vert question

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2006, 05:18 AM
rhein
1st Gear Member

Default RE: new mustang vert question

That's odd, my passenger side is the hard one as well.. What about the other Ragtop owners?
Old 04-15-2006, 09:54 AM
Leddhedd

Mine was really hard to latch on the passenger side about the first 10 times I closed it, but it gradually got easier and now it's a snap. I also had a couple of wrinkles on the drivers side between the front support rib and the next one back, but they went away after about six weeks and now the top is completely smooth. I still don't know what to use as a cleaner or preservative, though. Anybody got suggestions?
Old 04-15-2006, 10:21 AM
btorlv
2nd Gear Member

Yes ragtop dressing. Mine had rain spots from the dealer the car was only on the lot 1 day so it happen during transport. The vinyl dressing made my top a rich black and took about 5min to do the whole thing what a difference. You can get the dressing @ autogeek or online my top looks better then new.
Old 08-01-2006, 01:57 AM
Larmo
4th Gear Member

Interesting. I am about to purchase a new Mustang GT vert. I am getting a great deal but I'm not sold on the blue/tan combo. I'm wondering how difficult it would be to swap out the top for a black one. Thoughts anyone?
Old 08-01-2006, 02:02 AM
backinblack06
3rd Gear Member

Mine is still really hard to latch on the passenger side also. Maybe it's just the way these things are built I duno. I dount all of us have crooked cars lol.. I also have creases in my top. Looks pretty ugly but oh well I guess i'll to live with it, besides you can only see them really close up.
Old 08-01-2006, 01:12 PM
Professor Wizard
MF Moderator

When I got mine, the passenger latch was extreamly hard to latch... I waited a couple of months.. then the dealership replaced it - the new one cranks down like silk!

Yes... when the tops are new they are VERY VERY Tight.. and may have some krinkles in them... a few says UP in the HOT Sun will smooth them out nicely.
Old 08-01-2006, 01:32 PM
ScottRNelson
2nd Gear Member

My original top was hardest to latch on the driver's side. It was that way for a full year. It was easiest to latch the passenger side first, but that's likely to leave the driver's side misaligned.

Since my top had other alignment problems and ended up wearing a hole in the fabric on the driver's side, the whole thing was replaced at Ford's expense a couple of weeks ago.

The new top is much easier to latch, but seems to be not as tight as the old one. I see different wrinkles when it's down than with the old top. I left it up most of the time for the first couple of weeks, but it's only going up now when I wash the car or the next time it rains.

I bought the convertible to drive top down, it stays down as much as possible.
Old 08-01-2006, 01:48 PM
6xStang
3rd Gear Member

My top is often tight to latch...but it often stays down for weeks at a time. Every wrinkle, no matter how small, makes the top a little "smaller" until it is stretched out.

My rear window, though, "shakes" or pulsates a bit when I drive with the top up and a window open. The top feels tight to the touch, but I guess the pressure changes in the cabin from the open window cause some diaphragm-type pulsating when riding. My '89 ragtop did not do this. Anybody else's do it?

Old 08-01-2006, 02:30 PM
Newbreedgt05
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 6xStang

My rear window, though, "shakes" or pulsates a bit when I drive with the top up and a window open. The top feels tight to the touch, but I guess the pressure changes in the cabin from the open window cause some diaphragm-type pulsating when riding. My '89 ragtop did not do this. Anybody else's do it?

Mine does this also, but it only happens once in a while at certain speeds. I usually have the top down most of the time anyway. My top was hard to latch for the first week, but got easier as it stretched.
Old 08-01-2006, 07:53 PM
bodyputtyless
3rd Gear Member

The manual tells you to "first close the drivers side latch while pulling down on the roof grip located in the center of the windshield. I followed the instructions and found my passenger side closes perfectly. It was tough when I tried to close that side first.

Quick Reply: new mustang vert question