Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Maybe we shouldn't be doing GT300&500 stuff...

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2006, 11:01 PM
chevykiller
I ♥ Acer

Default Maybe we shouldn't be doing GT300&500 stuff...

Forgot too mention about the fabulous fords car show at knotts last sunday. Lot's 05/06 stangs and over 1000 cars - really amazing. But the one thing I noticed was the flood of GT500 and GT300 and cobra crap. I have the stuff on my car too, so I'm not baggin on it, but I had no idea how many people are doing it.

I'm not kidding, I'd say 2 or 3 cars out of a 100 DIDN'T have some sort of cobra badges (old school & new) and probably only 20 or 30 out of a hundred didn't have GT300 or GT500 side stripes (or some variation of)

This was my first car show and I didn't really care for it cause I can do the same thing (show my car, look at cars, & meet people) at the track and I get the bonus of racing to boot, but that's just me. Kinda boring IMO.

But from what I gathered, orginality plays a big roll in the shows and if you're thinking of a tribute car to win car shows, then you certainly aren't going to be that original. Just thought you might want to know...
Old 04-13-2006, 11:03 PM
67Sally
4th Gear Member

Default RE: Maybe we shouldn't be doing GT300&500 stuff...

I think that you could still have a chance at winning with a tribut car but you have to have something truly unique with yours.
Old 04-13-2006, 11:12 PM
chevykiller
I ♥ Acer

ORIGINAL: 67Sally

I think that you could still have a chance at winning with a tribut car but you have to have something truly unique with yours.
Agreed. And although a lot of tribute cars where there, only a couple REALLY stood out. One guy in a torch red actually had the old oval racing numbers on the side and vintage rear-view mirrors and the car looked like it came right off the race track in the late 60's. It was VERY clean. I think the most thing that suprised me was the corba badging EVERYWHERE! Engine bays, dashes, every body panel, trunks, wheels, you name it - cobra badges were on everything. Some cars literally had 10 cobra badges on them. I have always said and stand by that if you can make the power (or better) of a corba than you can put whatever badge you want on it but seeing lot's of V6 stangs flooded with corba badges was just plain wrong IMO...[:@]
Old 04-13-2006, 11:17 PM
67Sally
4th Gear Member

Yeah haha I think the cobra badges are starting to give the Mustang owners a bad name. I was making fun of a ricer the other day and telling him that stickers actually dont add hp...it really burned when he told me that cobra badges dont add hp either I dont have any cobra badges but they are overdone sometimes...especially the wheels
Old 04-13-2006, 11:39 PM
hawgman
I ♥ Acer

( oh yea, you know my response to this is going to win friends... )

I have a Saleen supercharger under the hood. But I don't have Saleen badges on my car. I have a Roush rear wing. But I don't have Roush badges on my car. Why? Because it is not a Saleen or a Roush. It's not a Cobra. It's not a GT300, 350, or 500. I am not going to pretend that it is or try to impress someone by making them think that it is. I find it absolutely halarious that if someone drives a foreign vehicle and puts a VTec emblem on it they are referred to as a poser. But if someone drives a Mustang and puts a GT350 sticker on it suddenly it is ok because it is a "tribute".

And for the record, I have tribar pony center caps
Old 04-13-2006, 11:56 PM
chevykiller
I ♥ Acer

ORIGINAL: hawgman

I have a Saleen supercharger under the hood. But I don't have Saleen badges on my car. I have a Roush rear wing. But I don't have Roush badges on my car. Why? Because it is not a Saleen or a Roush. It's not a Cobra. It's not a GT300, 350, or 500. I am not going to pretend that it is or try to impress someone by making them think that it is. I find it absolutely halarious that if someone drives a foreign vehicle and puts a VTec emblem on it they are referred to as a poser. But if someone drives a Mustang and puts a GT350 sticker on it suddenly it is ok because it is a "tribute".

I have to admit this car show changed my view radically. Normally I have said that if you make the power, then you can put whatever you want but I am changing my stand on this after seeing the mockery at the show. No matter how much power I make in my car, it will never be a VIN cobra. My car is a bonafide roush but that's it. All my cobra and GT500 stuff is coming off next weekend. I've decided to just go with a custom badge on the side - BMF - (bad mother fu....) and that will be an honest badge of pride I will wear. So you'll get no flack from me on your post cause it's true...
Old 04-14-2006, 12:01 AM
JD1969
Pro. B.S. caller outer

ORIGINAL: chevykiller

ORIGINAL: 67Sally

Agreed. And although a lot of tribute cars where there, only a couple REALLY stood out. One guy in a torch red actually had the old oval racing numbers on the side and vintage rear-view mirrors and the car looked like it came right off the race track in the late 60's. It was VERY clean. I think the most thing that suprised me was the corba badging EVERYWHERE! Engine bays, dashes, every body panel, trunks, wheels, you name it - cobra badges were on everything. Some cars literally had 10 cobra badges on them. I have always said and stand by that if you can make the power (or better) of a corba than you can put whatever badge you want on it but seeing lot's of V6 stangs flooded with corba badges was just plain wrong IMO...[:@]
Thats a car show geek for you. I swear some of these guys think that the more crap you put on your car, the more unique it is. Most car shows are pretty lame
Old 04-14-2006, 12:02 AM
DUSTI
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: hawgman

AMEN to that.........NO fake Cobra or GT500 stuff on my 'stang.........this IS getting ridicilous for sure as CK stated above !
I STILL believe if want the 'badge' , get the 'real thing'

Old 04-14-2006, 12:24 AM
drbobvs
5th Gear Member

Beauty is in simplicity, don't you think?

[IMG]local://upfiles/16153/E14F0F3917D24DA0A9CE88DE9C338BB1.jpg[/IMG]
Old 04-14-2006, 12:26 AM
spyder7724
4th Gear Member

hahahaha so i should lose my typeR cigarette lighter huh? damn that was my tribute to.....uh something. again you won't see that BS on mine either. for one: it's weight! i'm trying to make this pig lighter not add crap to it. two: i'm so sick of the 500 threads i see about stripes. it seems everybody wants to turn their Mustang into a f'n Zebra. i used to like stripes but i'm utterly sick of them now. i think andyman is getting his striped this weekend but he's going with spotted stripes. anyone got pics of that? for me i'm sticking with my crown air freshener in the back window and a custom decal of calvin pissing on a bowl of rice.[sm=alcoholic.gif]

Quick Reply: Maybe we shouldn't be doing GT300&500 stuff...