Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is There ANY Hope!!!!!????

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2006, 01:57 AM
cstigger04
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: Is There ANY Hope!!!!!????

Ok, there is a way but it probably means changing out every piece of the Mustang's suspension. Larger swaybars, urethane bushings, Springs, upper and lower control arms (front), Pan hard bars, (forgive if thats a boo-boo), upper and lower control arms (rear), Shocks, Sub frame conectors, strut tower braces. All of this plus a few more that I have forgotten. Not to mention yes it would take a 90 degree turn at 40 mph but you would feel every pea sized rock and crack in the road. and the wear rate of all these parts would bankrupt most of us. but the G's you could generate going into turns.......Priceless...LOL
Old 04-17-2006, 02:00 AM
ThisBlood147
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Rezalien

02 Carrera?! Now that explains a bit...lol, I could see how the b'mer falls a little short of that. All in all, as good as I felt like it performed, it was definitely a little "numb" like I wasn't really driving the car...it was driving me, if that makes any sense.

points taken CK, (thanks for the "final answer"...that's what I thought) I can definitely love my Stang for what it is, WHILE I'm upgrading the suspension a bit...LOL

I'm someone who's NEVER considered messing with suspension/handling in my Stang, I guess this has made me want to improve it as much as possible...I'll be searching this forum for posts on suspension upgrades...something I usually skipped over until last weekend.
Well Rez, take it from someone who has owned and driven previous generation mustangs....these new cars handle like a DREAM compared to the outgoing generation of ponies. I can only image how much tighter it would get if I did a full suspension workup on my GT. Of course, I haven't had the priveledge of driving something as tight as a Porsche....so my viewpoint is a bit different from others like CK. But my 05 GT is by far the best handling car I've ever driven.....and that INCLUDES a bevy of import passenger cars (Maxima, Camry, Celica...)
Old 04-17-2006, 02:41 AM
rattsj
2nd Gear Member

Turns at 40mph you just need good tires but you will have a lot of body roll. To deal with that you have to do what tigger said and upgrade you suspension. According to MM&FF the SC Saleen hangs with the c6 on the track so if you do all of that you wll likely outperform the Beamer.
Old 04-17-2006, 02:46 AM
93BlackNotch
2nd Gear Member

Old 04-17-2006, 04:10 AM
chrisc
5th Gear Member

i hear that the saleen's handle really well compared to the stock GT's

http://www.saleen.com/SC101_Services...10-1300-A11503

just thought i would throw that out in the open
Old 04-18-2006, 01:43 AM
PonyGT2005
2nd Gear Member

I've driven my GT hard at the track as well as several others at various levels of mod on the suspension...everything from stock to just springs to what I have now. Tires alone are a great help. Add springs and you are getting there. But to get the pure excitement out of the car, go all the way (or at least as far as I've gone

I won't go back that's for sure.

To caveat everything, I am not a pro driver by any stretch, but I grew up learning to drive by pros so I am no sloutch - hope to do club racing when the kids are out of school and I can afford to do more than put around with the cars

....lets put it this way...
in the last 14 (25minute) sessions, I have yet to go off the track (well 2 tires once and a damn close call with a vette , have recorded the best or near best lap times (uhh...for the record we dont actually record lap times and it is strictly non-competitive in my run groups, and have watched 525is, M3, Z3, Camaros, C5, C6, Vipers and S2000s go swirling off the track trying to keep up with me, so the GT can hang with an aweful lot of cars....and I have probably not pushed the car past half of what it is capable of running.

I am hoping to get GPS/telemetry set up in the fall so I can record exactly what the car is capable of, but the indications are that suspension is no longer a problem...still some room for improvement for sure...but it will be a while before I need any more and for most people I suspect it would do as well.

Anyway, there was a post about mod'ing the stock front swaybar (which I have not replaced...its hollow - I think - but beefy), and that sounds promising, other than that I am very happy with the mods I have and a 90 degree turn at 40mph to my stang is like walking around a corner is to me (when I am not drinking).

Hope I did not rant too much
Old 04-18-2006, 10:01 PM
classj
4th Gear Member

The 5 series isnt anything shocking handling wise to me. The M3's handle very well, but in general, lack excitment to me especially due to their electronic stability/diff package. Nice cars though. The porsche cayman to me has it all over most BMW's in the looks and handling dept. BMW is slowly turing their entire line into blah by my taste. Going by my test drive, the mustang handles pretty well and better than I expected. BUT, everything about it still feels numb in steering, braking, shifting, and throttle when compared to german sports cars like Porsches and BMW's. It needs firming up to be at that level. But for a mustang it is great.

I suspect the tires are the biggest offender on all accounts and I am already planning to get some very sticky wide 18's on it when my GT comes in. But it is a 30K dollar mustang, not a BMW or a Porsche, and for a mustang, it is excellent handling wise. And straight line, it is probably faster than an M3 or a Cayman with an intake and a tune and some nice tires. I was looking at a cayman S seriously, but for a daily driver it is a little unpractical, and the mustang is a performance bargin and is just plain cool and sounds great. I wanted the GT500, but refuse to jump through hoops and pay 15k over sticker/wait months when I can walk into any porsche dealer, be treated properly, and get a nice deal on a car. You have to really love mustangs to buy the gt500.

Hey pony5.0, when my GT comes in I might be doing some suspension work to it to make it a bit stiffer and stick better.

so if I read your mods right, your suspension upgrades are basicly tires, springs, shocks, and sway bar drop links??. Did you up the bar sizes as well? How much did you lower the car? What tires and wheels? Are those brake ducts availible as a kit from someone? How are the stock brakes working for you on the track?

Thanks
Nick
Old 04-18-2006, 10:12 PM
RyanAcosta
1st Gear Member

Claim 1.02 G's with roush's suspension, a bit pricey though at $1400.

http://www.musclemustangfastfords.co..._060100_roush/

Anyone know what the saleen suspension is supposed to do cuz im bout
buy roushs kit.
Old 04-18-2006, 11:29 PM
PonyGT2005
2nd Gear Member

Hey Nick - I did replace the rear swaybar (along with the end links) - I left the front alone but did put in the Steeda end links as well as replaced the swaybar clamps themselves.

Also put in camber plates...made adjustment real easy.

Drop was 1" - I know others run with lower but I barely get up my driveway as it is and the potholes around here are brutal.

Running BFG g-Force TA KDW at the track on my stock 17" wheels...the BFGs did real well.
I'll probably run the BFGs one more time (though they will last more than that - they've held up very well) and then try out a different brand - at this point tires are consumables but I want to get my $ out of them

Currently looking at a set of 18" lightweight Axis rims or something similar.

The brake ducts I got from a local shop...you can get them from various places on the internet - I went with the high temp (orange) ducting.

So far the stock brakes have been very good...stock pads did not last but the systems themselves have done great. The only places I've had troubles is locking up the rear brakes on a couple of off-camber sharp turns (just planting too hard or braking too late on the approach)...I figure if I fix my driver error the brakes are fine. The EBC pads did really good (great bite) but barely lasted 6 sessions. I've run the EBC greens on the street and they are good. The reds on the track. Hawk HPS+ were in last fall and they did ok...think I might do back-to-back days between HPS and EBC and see how they compare - HPS deserve another shot on the car anyway.

If I get much more power and can up my speed on the straights I'll definately be looking at a Brembo upgrade though.

Old 04-18-2006, 11:59 PM
Gig4Fun
1st Gear Member

Is There ANY Hope!!!!!???? - 4/16/2006 9:52:34 PM

Rezalien , PLEASE take your car out to the same place and put it through a few of them 90 deg turns. I would like to know what it has to start with. I think you also NEED to know to ask this question!

I am very curious what you can do.

Quick Reply: Is There ANY Hope!!!!!????