Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Stupid windshield glass!!!

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2006, 05:56 PM
Shard Phoenix
2nd Gear Member

Default Stupid windshield glass!!!

Ok, so I was driving home on the highway today and a semi (Of course no mudflaps, hauling gravel) Comes zooming by me on the right side. So already I am thinking WTF, why is this guy passing me on the right when the left lane is open and the right lane has people not a 1/4 mile up. So he proceeds to shoot in front of me, in the process chucking a nice BIG rock at my windshield and piting a 1/2" spidery pit into my windshield. The trailer has no tags so I zip around to get his front plate, which is a temp, and completely covered in mud... couldnt read any of it!

So I am thinking, that was a battle lost, I will just take it home, clean the car up wash the windows and fix the chip myself... no big deal. So I go to the car wash, spray her down, dry the poor thing off and drive home. By the time I pulled into my garage I had a 4" crack running from the chip! This is less than a half hour from when the chip hit the car!!! its not cold so I know water didnt get in and freeze, and I kept the chip itself masked off (Masking tape) throughout the wash anyway. So now my 3 week old GT has a huge crack in the windshield! ARGG, I can probably get it fixed by the insurance company, but this is still just MADENING.
Old 04-19-2006, 05:59 PM
xRockThePonyx
6th Gear Member

Default RE: Stupid windshield glass!!!

That sucks! I would have followed the truck and gotten some sort of business location or something on it if I had to. Hopefully insurance will cover it though. []
Old 04-19-2006, 06:04 PM
silverbull1tt

Luckily when it happend to me, my windshield did not crack any further. I had it filled by SafeLite and it is hard to notice where it happend. If you've met your deductable you can have your insurance replace the windshield. I also had the fortune of running over some kind of plastic wrapping paper in the road and had it stick/melt/wrap itself around my pipes underneath the car. That was also very fun to get under there and peel it off.
Old 04-19-2006, 06:16 PM
Traken
2nd Gear Member

Sorry to hear that, man. The gravel trucks around here are just as bad. Driving recklessly and flinging stones all over the place. I've got several decent sized paint chips thanks to them.
Old 04-20-2006, 05:40 PM
STANGT
1st Gear Member

I'd rather get a huge crack to justify getting a whole new windshield...
Old 04-20-2006, 05:46 PM
Derf00
Gentleman's Relish

ORIGINAL: silverbull1tt

Luckily when it happend to me, my windshield did not crack any further. I had it filled by SafeLite and it is hard to notice where it happend. If you've met your deductable you can have your insurance replace the windshield. I also had the fortune of running over some kind of plastic wrapping paper in the road and had it stick/melt/wrap itself around my pipes underneath the car. That was also very fun to get under there and peel it off.
yeahhhh but you need to be careful about using insurance to cover that kind of stuff. My wife has a rock chip her windshield. She called the insurance company (we have the optional 100% glass coverage here in AZ) and as it turns out, that coverage is worthless becuase it counts as a claim. Two claims (our fault or not) and our rate goes up. A claim is considered any type of repair where the insurance pays out.

Needless to say we're going to cancel that part of the coverage.