Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ridiculous Quote from Body SHop

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2006, 06:04 PM
POWERS
2nd Gear Member

Default Ridiculous Quote from Body SHop

I got a Quote on painting and installing my roush ducktail spoiler. I was quoted $600 bucks for the paint and install. To me this sounds like a lot just to paint something as small as a spoiler then drill six holes to mount it. Considering I paid less than that for the spoiler itself.

It was $300 just for the paint, does that sound right to anyone? As far as the install I THINK I can do it myself but drilling holes in my baby maymake me a little nervous. Anyone installed the roush spoiler themselves?

Old 04-19-2006, 06:06 PM
Derf00
Gentleman's Relish

Default RE: Ridiculous Quote from Body SHop

there's more than just spraying paint on it. It has to be color blended (unless you want your car to have two shades of whatever color you have)

Have them break down the pricing for you on an itemized quote. Then go to two other shops to see what they say.
Old 04-19-2006, 06:13 PM
Traken
2nd Gear Member

300 for just the paint seems a little high to me. The quote I got for getting my stripes painted on my car was around 300 for the paint, for bumper to bumper stripes, and that should be a fair bit more paint than a spoiler...
Old 04-19-2006, 06:15 PM
POWERS
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Derf00

there's more than just spraying paint on it. It has to be color blended (unless you want your car to have two shades of whatever color you have)

Have them break down the pricing for you on an itemized quote. Then go to two other shops to see what they say.
I didn't mean just paint as in they are just spraying paint on it. I meant it as in that it is such a small job. And color blending shouldn’t be an issue if they use the same color paint. It was a quote from the local ford dealer so they should have HP White on hand, right?. You can order the online pre-painted for around $150 for the painting. Of course the quality that comes out and how well it makes it through being shipped is another story. That’s why I chose to order and have it painted once it arrived.

I’m just looking for some guestimates as to what others have paid or think is a reasonable amount to expect to pay for such work. This is my first experience with having body parts painted.
Old 04-19-2006, 06:18 PM
POWERS
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Traken

300 for just the paint seems a little high to me. The quote I got for getting my stripes painted on my car was around 300 for the paint, for bumper to bumper stripes, and that should be a fair bit more paint than a spoiler...
And I would assume that tapping off the lines and all the work that would go into doing stripes has to be much more intensive than painting a spoiler. So I definately need to get another quote or 2
Old 04-19-2006, 06:20 PM
Traken
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: POWERS

ORIGINAL: Traken

And I would assume that tapping off the lines and all the work that would go into doing stripes has to be much more intensive than painting a spoiler. So I definately need to get another quote or 2
Well, bear in mind, I'm just talking the paint. Not the labor and prepwork.

Total, it's going to be around 1200 bucks.

But yeah, getting more than one quote is always a good idea. Shop around.
Old 04-19-2006, 06:47 PM
SonicStanGirl
2nd Gear Member

I was rearended and just to remove/replace the rear bumper valance was quoted at $575. Half was the cost of the bumper and half for paint/labor.
Old 04-19-2006, 06:50 PM
fairlane292
5th Gear Member

I'm glad you clarified that. whew..... $200-$300 is right for the spoiler. You're just on the higher side. It would cost $200 to have any small item done since there is minimum prep, finish, cleanup no matter what. Materials are expensive but not much is used on a spoiler. Sand your mirrors if you haven't yet; and shop around for a price on spoiler and mirrors. You benefit from some economy of scale this way.
Old 04-19-2006, 07:45 PM
SubsonicBulldog
1st Gear Member

Sounds about right, my whole car is getting painted now for $5500, one place told me it would be $6500, but that was acrossed the street from a Lambo dealership in Scottsdale.[&:]
Old 04-19-2006, 11:16 PM
blackfoot
4th Gear Member

600$ is a number id expect if its canadian

Quick Reply: Ridiculous Quote from Body SHop