Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tuners vs. Warranty

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2006, 07:28 PM
razol
1st Gear Member

Default Tuners vs. Warranty

I do not have any performance based mods on my car right now, just appearance and electronics stuff.

I was thinking about buying the DiabloSport Predator tuner for my car and just running the 87 octane tune. I also plan to put wider/lower profile rubber on the car and would like to be able to adjust the speedometer myself.

That said, will flashing a new tune void the warranty? Will I need to reset it to stock before taking it to the dealer for any work? If I do reset to factory, won't it be obvious that the PCM has been reset?

Any input would be much appreciated
Old 04-26-2006, 07:59 PM
acsteele
1st Gear Member

Default RE: Tuners vs. Warranty

It all depends on the dealer.

If your dealer sell/installs the goodies (yea, I want 'em too, typical 41 year old teenager!) then I would say youhave a good chance at keeping your waranty.
Old 04-26-2006, 08:03 PM
NastNaso
2nd Gear Member

ACSteele hopefully you were kidding about the Burn part on that girl you once knew. I prefer the Suck Squeeze Bang Blow method myself it's less illegal and less permanent.
Old 04-26-2006, 08:27 PM
razol
1st Gear Member

I have never seen a tuner for sale through any dealer.
Old 04-26-2006, 08:54 PM
acsteele
1st Gear Member

Actually, I got BURNED first, then BLOWN off.

But it really is how a four stroke, and even jet engines work.

But honestly, I'd be happy to give you her phone number[:'(]

I have rever gone to a class reunion, but I gotta go this time (just to laught at the jerks I never really did lik!)
Old 04-26-2006, 09:27 PM
mustangman02232
6th Gear Member

if you need warrenty work, just flip the tune back to stock, and by federal law, the after market part must be the cause of the warrenty issue in order to void the warrenty, so you flash the computer, and the skipper 500 still doesnt work, even with the tune, the warrenty is still vaid, by federal law
Old 04-26-2006, 10:50 PM
LEJAY
I ♥ Acer

C'mon,......... be realistic here. FORD has built the "Best Mustang ever", as per ROAD and TRACK, it's been called the "most powerful stock Mustang ever" by Motor Trend. Ford engineering has done their job.

Yet, when ppl decide that's not good enough, and want to add their own personal goodies, they expect FORD to take care of it when something fails. If you choose to "modify" your car, you are basically saying, I'm smarter, I know more, and Ford Engineering knows "nothing", so I'll do whatever I want.

Remember, this car was built to impress and gain popularity with 97% of the "sports car enthusiast". The remaining 3% that feels the Mustang needs to be faster, better, louder, and more HP...... Do so at their own peril. Read your warranty, don't quote federal law, and cry, when they say "you changed factory specs, so we won't cover it"

Go to a fine steak house........ the menu says "not responsible for well done steaks"
Buy an appliance...it says "warranty is void if used for commercial / rental purposes"
Is it your Dr's fault if you over eat, drink, and smoke when he tells you not to ? and you still die ?

If you got the $$ for the add ons, you can afford (no pun intended) to pay for the havoc they create. 300hp and 320#torque is God's plenty while under warranty, as you are driving the "best high performance sport coupe on the planet, for the money", 2nd to NONE!

I'm ready for replys, and if y'all wanna "toss" me from the forum. I'll gladly leave. (probably not easily)
Old 04-27-2006, 12:46 AM
mongrull006
2nd Gear Member

lejay, i totally understand your POV as i believe most of us do. i think the point of the voided wrrenty being made is if you put a cai on and your alt goes bad is the alt still under warrenty. some dealers will try to get out of this. similarly 2k05gt's alt went bad with every indication that it was a manufacturers defect (tsb's, error codes, et cetera youve read the thread). but because he has (well, had) the udp's the dealer and ford were trying to deny him of the warrenty without PROOF that the udp's did the damage, just the dealers word.

i think most people that mod their cars understand that it could cause problems. ie a blower has a good chance of blowing out your stock bottom end. never the less it still doesnt not void your warrenty and f your alt, water pump, or a/c compressor goes bad its highly unlikely that the s/c was the cause even though they are physically attatched via the acc belt.

you dig?

Ty
Old 04-27-2006, 12:56 AM
freefallpat
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: razol

I do not have any performance based mods on my car right now, just appearance and electronics stuff.

I was thinking about buying the DiabloSport Predator tuner for my car and just running the 87 octane tune. I also plan to put wider/lower profile rubber on the car and would like to be able to adjust the speedometer myself.

That said, will flashing a new tune void the warranty? Will I need to reset it to stock before taking it to the dealer for any work? If I do reset to factory, won't it be obvious that the PCM has been reset?

Any input would be much appreciated
I think it’s a valid question. I live in Canada so I’m not sure about laws in the U.S.

I recently started doing mods to my car. A couple of weeks after my Vortech was installed, my engine failed. One head actually ran out of oil and everything burned up in there. All my mods where done at a Ford dealer. A couple of weeks later (3100$) I went back to pick up the car. The head failed again after 2 minutes. I never left the dealer.
It turns out the cheap “ford” oil filter they put on fell apart and one piece block an oil passage that goes to that head.

Of course Ford is denying warranty…. I agree if you can’t pay, don’t play but there is limit to what an installer can get away with.

I’m probably going to take the dealer to small claims court. I would bet money they will have to pay up.

It’s all about why it fails….
Old 04-27-2006, 01:45 AM
LEJAY
I ♥ Acer

Gotcha TY,
It seems rediculous if they say a CAI ruined the alternator, or some other goofy thing like that. This sure ain't the good 'ol days when guys "souped up" their engines.

But, no one can say for sure that even subtle changes don't affect other parts with the sophisticated computors that constantly monitor, and adjust the engine. Maybe some of these aftermarket items do affect factory parts. The whole system was built to Ford's specs and computor.

If they tell you not to do it, and you do, well..... that just puts them in control with an easy out.

Great point.

TY

Quick Reply: Tuners vs. Warranty