Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Why Drive by wire?

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2006, 11:52 AM
stangster06
I ♥ Acer

Default Why Drive by wire?

I'm not sure what "drive by wire" is but is seems the 2005+ Mustangs use this. It appears to cause throttle lag and response issues. Just wondering why Ford went with this - Is there some advantage to it? What was used in the 2004 Mustangs?

Thanks to all for any feedback.
Old 04-28-2006, 11:59 AM
QuickShortBus
I ♥ Acer

Default RE: Why Drive by wire?

A standard throttle cable was used prior to 2005, drive by wire eliminates the need for a throttle cable from the throttle body to the pedal. It allows the computer additional control over the car and makes the traction control system more effective because the computer can then control the throttle body instead of you controlling it when the car senses it has lost traction.
Old 04-28-2006, 12:47 PM
hogpowr
3rd Gear Member

It also gives ford more control over drivetrain life. There must be other advantage too, because honda has it now also.
Old 04-28-2006, 02:43 PM
austijc
2nd Gear Member

It also helps to reduce emissions and increase mileage.
Old 04-28-2006, 02:46 PM
persistantthug
2nd Gear Member

I still don't understand. What is a "DRIVE BY WIRE"? I've been curious about this as well.
Old 04-28-2006, 03:00 PM
Fourth Horseman
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: persistantthug

I still don't understand. What is a "DRIVE BY WIRE"? I've been curious about this as well.
This is probably over-simplistic, but instead of a cable running from the throttle pedal all the way up to the throttle body, you now have a sensor on the pedal that tells the computer how hard you are pressing on the pedal. The computer then actuates a stepper motor to open/close the throttle body and control how much air is getting into the engine. So with drive by wire there is no physical link between your right foot and how much air/fuel the engine is getting.

It's called "drive by wire" because now you're controlling the throttle with an electrical signal sent over a wire. Sort of like "fly by wire" in modern fourth and fifth generation jet fighters where there is no longer any physical link between the joystick and rudder pedals and the flight control surfaces on the aircraft.
Old 04-28-2006, 03:33 PM
jkstang
1st Gear Member

Yep...that's it. "You are correct, Sir."
Old 04-28-2006, 07:24 PM
ScottRNelson
2nd Gear Member

I'm still waiting for someone to figure out how I can get the drive by wire system in my manual transmission V6 Mustang to shut the throttle completely when I let my foot off of the throttle, rather than keeping it open a bit until it feels like it. It can be really annoying when going down steep roads in the mountains. I have to either rev the engine way up or use the brakes to slow down until the engine computer decides to close it all the way.

I've watched the tachometer when coasting up to a stop light when I've popped it into neutral without using the clutch, and it will keep the engine running somewhere between 1200 and 1800 rpms until the car comes to a complete stop, then it drops down to the 600-800 range. The Ford dealer says they can't do anything about it.

Oh well. I guess that's the price of progress.
Old 04-28-2006, 08:54 PM
scubie02

Ok, if "drive by wire" is the gas thing, then what is it when the steering is controlled in a similar manner? I was thinking the gas thing was called "throttle by wire" or some such thing, and "drive by wire" was the steering?

Anyway, I really hate such "improvements" as throttle by wire, drive by wire, etc. I have had cars with the throttle controlled by the computer rather than a simple cable or whatever where the throttle seems to "stick" sort of like a previous poster, only it did things like you were at a light, the light turns, the person in front starts to go so you start to give it some gas, bu tthen they somewhat suddenly stop and turn a blinker on for a left say, you take your foot off the gas, but the car still accelerates, and you have to jam on the brake. With steering by wire, what if the car stalls while driving? With the old fashioed system the steering was of course harder without the power assist, but you could still steer. With the computer controlled system, you wouldn't have any steering at all, right? No likey.
Old 04-28-2006, 09:10 PM
ScottRNelson
2nd Gear Member

The Honda S2000 has electric assisted power steering and it still works if you kill the engine. The engine has to have been actually running for it to work, but I verified that it still works when you let the clutch out while stopped and in gear.

Still, I don't want any other by-wire controls. I'm not sure I even want the one I have.

Quick Reply: Why Drive by wire?