Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

SPECULATION ???

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2006, 02:14 PM
LEJAY
I ♥ Acer

Default SPECULATION ???

My neighbor asked me this.... (I said I din't know, but, I could find out from some experts around the country.)

If an '06 GT is kept clean and pristine, and has 35-40K miles :

What will it be worth in 5 years ?

Will limited availabilty continue in future model years ?

Will the current craze continue, stay the same or diminish ?
Old 04-29-2006, 04:43 PM
rattsj
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: SPECULATION ???

Given that in comparison to sales and production of earlier late model stangs, lets say 95-04. It would be reasonable to assume that they will have the same retention of value as they do.
Now given the current market for used cars it seems that vehicles are retaining much more value for a longer period of time. That being said I believe that an 06 GT with 30-40k miles on it in the year 2011 Will be worth about 15-20k.
I don't think there is really a limited availability I think there is an abundance of mustangs as there always is. The only difference is at present is that people are unwilling to wait.
I read an article on in MM&FF about the sales of mustangs over the last 10 years and the S197 are not really selling a whole lot more than the prior years. They are only selling faster.
Will the craze continue. History is the best source for predicting the future. Mustang sales have constistently been good therefore one could predict that yes the craze will continue.

This is all edumacated guess. Take it for what its worth.
Old 04-29-2006, 04:51 PM
ThisBlood147
5th Gear Member

I think something of the value in years to come may hinge on what Ford does with the mustang in 2009-2010. I've heard alot of talk that they will go back to a more contemporary, aerodynamic body as opposed to the retro style we have now. If I could find the link to the article....I read somewhere where a Ford representative said that the classicly styled S197 mustangs are gonna be a one generation deal only. Now, I wouldn't put tooo much stock in that.....as I can't see Ford going thru the wringer to totally redesign the Mustang all over again after just 5 years. But we can't rule out any possibility right now.

That having been said.....if the current retro styled mustangs stop rolling out of the factories in 09, then I think we may see a slightly better retention in value on our cars in the next 10 to 15 years than what have seen on mustangs in the past 25 years or so.
Old 04-30-2006, 02:25 AM
Orion_240
6th Gear Member

I hope you're not planning on buying one for an investment!
They will depreciate each year, and if you manage to keep your from getting scratched (impossible) or wrecked (possible) it might be worth $20K in 5 years? Just a guess... That's for the Premium GT, loaded, with low mileage.
If you want an investment do what I'm gonna try and see iof you can get a line on one of the GT-H models that Hertz will be selling in a few years! Only 500 of those, I think!
Old 04-30-2006, 02:38 AM
mustangman2424
I ♥ Acer

ORIGINAL: rattsj
I read an article on in MM&FF about the sales of mustangs over the last 10 years and the S197 are not really selling a whole lot more than the prior years. They are only selling faster.
I read that too. It's because at their two factory's that are making the Mustang's one is dedicated to another car also (I can't remember what it was). They are selling what they have very fast, but they aren't making that many to begin with.
Old 04-30-2006, 03:56 AM
hogpowr
3rd Gear Member

The flat rock plant also makes the mazda 6.
Old 04-30-2006, 10:30 AM
6xStang
3rd Gear Member

Well I have a 1989 5.0 convertible, with 51K original miles. For those of you too young to remember, in 1989 people were waiting an average of 15 weeks to get their 5.0's. I recall ordering mine (a different car than I currently own) in mid feb, and taking delivery late may.

A loaded '89 5.0 ragtop stickered for about $19K if memory serves. I bought my current one, used but in pristine condition, in 1996 for $8500 (with 30K miles). Now you can find 1989 ragtops for anywhere from $1500 for a parts car to $11,000 for something that someone considers a prstine classic (mine can be had for $5K, but that is a different story).

2005-2006 Mustang GT's will always be in demand in the used car market, but they are not rarities and will not, in the first 5-10 years, retain much more value than any other popular american car. Clean ones will be easier to sell at the high end of book value, but you should not bank on anything "unusual" in terms of value retention.
Old 04-30-2006, 01:12 PM
LEJAY
I ♥ Acer

The reason I started the thread was because my neighbor asked me when I was telling him mine was due to be delivered around May 12. He really didn't understand why the delays, demands and such. No, I plan on using my baby.

As far as the Hertz goes, supposedly Dealers will have first shot, and if my dealer can get one, they promised me first shot, at whatever the market is bringing. Hopefully, it will be worth the $$. I'm up in the "air" about buying a car everybody and his brother has driven, and probably, at an inflated price.

My dealer explained the way it will work, Ford or Hertz will come out with a price @ orginal MSRP (with the upgrades) just a guess as far as starting point. Dealers will place an order, and then a lottery occurs to determine the 500 winners. Dealers pay all transportation costs, and reconditioning costs, and then they hit the market. The planned removal from rental service by Hertz is 12/31/07, mileage will vary, as well as overall condition. SOME HERTZ execs may pull as many as 30 from the fleet for their own use. Obviously, "the best ones"

That's all I know.
Old 04-30-2006, 01:45 PM
scubie02

ford has already ramped up production like carzy on these cars. There is still limited availability in some areas of the country, but in others they are sitting on the lots and people age getting them below invoice supposedly. Soon enough everywhere will be caught up, all the people that had to have them right away will already have them, and that combined with gas prices making people think twice about buying a car with a v8 will start slowing sales. Once they are all over the place and available cheap even new, values will start heading south. You can buy a used mustang from the previous generations pretty cheap, right? These models will probably hold value better than those because they are seen as a big step up stylistically and perforamance wise from those, but if you were hoping a car would retain some super value, you'd be better off with some foreign marque.
Old 04-30-2006, 03:46 PM
RedHotMama
1st Gear Member

I purchased a used 2005 rental V6 in March with !4,000 miles for $20,000. Was Ford Certified, came with a 6 yr 75,000 mile drive train warranty, and very good financing. I priced a new 2006 and it was around $28,000 equipped the same as the rental. I figure they will lose value the same as all new vehicles off the lot. If you want to make money on it you will have to live to be 120 and then sell it as an old classic. I'm just glad to have one and I will just drive it until it dies.

Quick Reply: SPECULATION ???