Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Building base model into premium

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2006, 05:03 PM
90lxstang
4th Gear Member

Default Building base model into premium

I was wondering if it is worth the extra cash to buy the premium model from factory, as opposed to buying a base model and replacing parts myself. My list would be the heated seats out of an 07, the leather, shaker 500 and interior upgrade package and the new mirror with goodies from the 07. I want the heated seats and new mirror a lot, but the prices on 05-06 models are sooo appealing these days. So would you think its worth it? How much of the work could an average Joe do in the garage?
Old 05-01-2006, 06:15 PM
saud alzaabi
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: Building base model into premium

I would've never cared if i had the deluxe or the premium... the only think that stopped me is that they had that satin silver... im not into that color ... anyway here is what will make ur mustang look better than a premium ...

Dash Trim Kit a satin nickel dash trim kit..

MGW products few inserts such as radio vol **** and hand brake part.. and the cup holder bezzel ...

and something like this

CAR PC GT

and if you know a place that can custom wear ur seats... you should let them put black leather on the steering other than that rubber ...and do a 2 colored seats ...

and there you go .. a mustags interior that looks 100 times better than stock premium ...
Old 05-01-2006, 06:31 PM
jt14894
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 90lxstang

I was wondering if it is worth the extra cash to buy the premium model from factory, as opposed to buying a base model and replacing parts myself. My list would be the heated seats out of an 07, the leather, shaker 500 and interior upgrade package and the new mirror with goodies from the 07. I want the heated seats and new mirror a lot, but the prices on 05-06 models are sooo appealing these days. So would you think its worth it? How much of the work could an average Joe do in the garage?

To compare which is the better value, you would have to get a list of all the items that you want to add and get prices (via parts catalogs, etc.) for each of them. Then, look at an itemized list of everything that comes in the Premium package and get the price of those.
To me it would be more expensive and time consuming to get all that and put it in, if its even feasible.
It may seem like its a piece of cake where you just plug-n-play, but its never going to happen because there's always the bugs. So, once you've got everything installed, you have to make sure that everything works and thats another tedious process.
If its going to save you a lot of $$$$ and you're willing do deal with the issues of installing, then go for it, but if its not, just buy the Premium and save yourself the headaches.
I'd rather be driving it and enjoying it rather than it sitting in the garage because I can't get the stereo or info center to work or because of problems with the heated seats. Hypothetically speaking.
Good luck!
Old 05-01-2006, 06:49 PM
6xStang
3rd Gear Member

depending on how long you are gonna keep the car, taking the cheap way now will hurt you on resale. And DIY mods, even good ones, almost always hurt resale. If you are going to keep the car forever then it doesn't matter.
Old 05-01-2006, 07:51 PM
90lxstang
4th Gear Member

Well im going to keep the car forever so resall isnt really an issue. I took what jt said into consideration about skipping the headache by buying it from factory. I think i'll end up doing a half and half. Getting the most expensive pieces as options and upgrading as i like. For instance all the interior things that saud alzaabi listed were great! So I can skip in the interior upgrade package. Thanks for the info, I knew you guys would help me incase I made a big mistake.
Old 05-01-2006, 08:16 PM
Claytone
2nd Gear Member

I was wondering the same thing, as I did not get the full premium package, so I decided to go in to ford and ask the parts dept. The guy told me I was better off just buying a premium stang, as to take mine apart and purchase the parts individualy would be a huge headache, and he couldnt guarentee 100% satisfactory install. Thats with Ford installing all parts. So I would say either love her for what she is, or trade her for the upgrade.
Old 05-01-2006, 08:57 PM
LEJAY
I ♥ Acer

We ain't talkin' millions, or even tens of thousands.

Your question makes me want to vomit. You don't deserve a 'Stang when you count pennies. Betcha you are lookin' at recaps also.
Old 05-01-2006, 09:59 PM
90lxstang
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: LEJAY

We ain't talkin' millions, or even tens of thousands.

Your question makes me want to vomit. You don't deserve a 'Stang when you count pennies. Betcha you are lookin' at recaps also.
Your attitude makes me want to vomit. Every penny counts. If you arent so concerned, then let me borrow 1 million pennies...I mean, its only pennies right?
Old 05-02-2006, 12:59 AM
jt14894
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 90lxstang

Well im going to keep the car forever so resall isnt really an issue. I took what jt said into consideration about skipping the headache by buying it from factory. I think i'll end up doing a half and half. Getting the most expensive pieces as options and upgrading as i like. For instance all the interior things that saud alzaabi listed were great! So I can skip in the interior upgrade package. Thanks for the info, I knew you guys would help me incase I made a big mistake.

No problem.
Half and half would be the logical choice.
Save the hard aches and add the less expensive and easier upgrades.
Old 05-02-2006, 01:49 AM
06GT4RAD
5th Gear Member

It will be cheaper to buy the car with all the upgrades already in it. The Leather seats alone will cost you at least 3k Trust me I have priced this kind of stuff out and it is not cheap by any means. It is even cheaper to buy a Premium with certain options as opposed to buying the Deluxe and then getting the same options separately to make it equipped the same as the Deluxe. There is about a 2k difference doing it this way.

Lejay you have got to stop not taking your meds man. [sm=happybounce.gif]

Richard

Quick Reply: Building base model into premium