Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Take it slow and save big on gas

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2006, 10:55 PM
JJ_Stang
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: Take it slow and save big on gas

ORIGINAL: viking396

We have 55 here in IL on most roads close to Chicago, so of course everybody is doing 85 when they can, the only thing that happens is ticket revenue goes up, gas consumption stays the same. My Mustang gets better MPG at 68 mph than it does at 55, this isn't 1978 when cars were lucky to get to 80 without croaking, the lowest HP cars of today are capable of much more performance than the piles of crap we were stuck with in the 70's and early 80's.

I made a simple change, no more driving "just because" in my main ride which is a 2006 Fusion and I cut back even further in my Mustang. I'll save about $150.00 per month, the Mustang gets les miles and we conserve all at the same time.

Gas prices aren't about how much gas we have, it's about China, India and other emerging economies willing to pay what ever it takes. It's about moron speculators driving prices up, it's about OIL companies seeing a way to drive profits when their margins were much smaller a few years back.

It's about lobbyists taking our politicians into their back pockets because they are driven by greed and not by helping constituents (us).

Hybrids are great, until they reach the point when they are at end of life and none of the big car companies have instituted the recycling programs the Federal Government mandated when these cars became certified for sale in our country.

Those that want to argue that point look to the computer industry, mandated computer recycling has turned into garbage dumps in third world countries where there are…can you guess? You got it, politicians making money on these dumps because it’s cheaper to ship the crap there, dump it and if fined it’s still cheaper than doing the right thing right here.

Getting back to gas, the OIL companies are getting us used to much higher average gas prices so when they do reduce it, it will be on average a dollar or more than it averaged last year and the Federal Government (No, not Bush, the problem is ALL OF THEM) won’t doing anything but posture because they know if they SAY they are doing something about it the average Joe won’t say a word. 4 billion a quarter isn't insane it;s just fine per the Government yet big OIL says they are squeazed, yet profits are at a record pace for all of them, if their being squeazed I'd like to know how?

We as a country have gotten soft, sure we spout off but who really has stepped up to do anything about the status-quo that is our system? Don’t mention the likes of Michael Moore and his ilk, he creates lies for his agenda.

This country needs to start making gas from Coal, Corn and the several other avenues already proven to be profitable. Using the capability to mostly clean drill in our own country limits short term would help and FORCING BIG OIL and the Government to work on alternative fuel cars friendly in the environment and what’s left behind after end of life will help.

Not allowing lobbyists to pocket politicians would be another HUGE STEP, but our system isn’t ready for that….
That has to be one of the most well written perspective of this whole gas price problem that I have read. It is so true that we as Ameicans have gotten soft we take the word of politicians as the truth, they tell us what we want to hear when they need us and then they do what serves them the most when they are in office.

Old 05-02-2006, 11:39 PM
Scaught
2nd Gear Member

Look, most people are not that affected by 3$ a gallon. If you are making minimum wage, sure, it hurts. I bet most of the Mustang owners are not. So we are paying more, well, we can afford to pay more. Just look around every time you drive. It sure does not look like there are any less cars on the road. the average person in this country can afford 3$ a gallon.
Old 05-03-2006, 12:16 AM
mongrull006
2nd Gear Member

yes but a lot of people afford it because they have to. i meanhave to as go to work, take kids to school, go grocery shopping, et cetera. the extra $1.50 comming out of our pockets now, used to be spent elsewhere. for some of is it would be mods and for others, food, clothing, and possibly even trading the new stang(or any other vehicle for that matter) for vehicle which is less expensive, and gets better gas mileage.

i am one of those people who does have to sacrifice other things in order to help pay for gas now, and if gas does end up another dollar or two higher i might even have to consider trading in the stang. or maybe buying a bike and riding the country roads into work which there are many crazy idiots driving on every day.

Ty
Old 05-03-2006, 12:34 AM
AirForceGeorge
1st Gear Member

Ya, there's no doubt that high energy hurts the economy in that we would be spending money elsewhere boosting it.

I will say gas is an extremely psychological expense. I think it's because the average American doesn't believe, subconsciously almost, that they should pay for mobility. And watching that little ticker go up every time you pay for it is very psychological too. I bet if we bought more products while we waited and watched a meter crawl upwards we'd freak out too. If we bought a pair of 40 dollar jeans while pressing a button and watching the cents fly upwards to 40 I bet we'd rethink how much we spend on pants. If we had meters on all the sinks in the house and the toilets and every time we flushed or washed our hads we saw cents and dollars surging we'd be a lot more sensitive and obsessive about the price of water.

I think if the oil industry/gas stations were smart they'd take away those meters and sell prepaid gas cards or find some other way to keep the price out of sight and mind. Then most people would go ahead and thoughtlessly spend and spend like they do with their credit card when they don't see anything.

Let me give an example... A younger junior enlisted guy at work who drives a little vert 300 series BMW was planning a trip home to Minnesota last year when gas prices where around these levels. He mentioned he was cancelling the trip because gas was too expensive. Now, it was probably a 500 mile trip so say 1000 miles total or about 40 gallons of gas total. Gas was close to 3 bucks. So basically this trip was gonna cost him 120 bucks instead of 80. Now this guy wouldn't think much of going out to a bar one night and blowing 40 bucks on shots and beer. But for gas to go on a trip back home? Unacceptable.

An extra dollar per gallon probably costs the average American 600 bucks a year at the pump. Which stings. And it's multiplied since it also increases the prices of other things. But the numbers are miniscule compared to the soaring cost of housing and the money people throw at stuff like expensive cell-phones and plasma TV's. While it definitely impacts the economy (though we're still under 5% unemployment, have 6 year highs in the market, and had 4.8% GDP growth last quarter) gas is an extremely psychological expense and that accounts for most of the hysteria.
Old 05-03-2006, 12:41 AM
Andys06GT
2nd Gear Member

speaking off minimum wage, being in the military, i think im roughly $2700 over poverty at my salary. but then again, i have a wife, one income, and a college degree in the works for her. but yet i have my stang. why? because rather than cruising around all afternoon and night, not that id want to and put the miles on, we can enjoy each other at home. and the gas prices STILL dont affect me. its funny, but being with my family, not my car, has made me appreciate both so much more. and then money isnt an issue. so maybe they SHOULD jack up gas, and catch us up to the rest of the natural world. rather than sitting in our precious little country that noone can appreciate anyway, crying about an extra $2.50 for a tank of gas in a vehicle we dont need and an engine we dont use. who cares about gas? it doesnt matter. there's a million problems that should take priority, but sadly, gasoline penetrates everyones protective little shells, so thats the topic that comes up. proud to be an amer.....
Old 05-03-2006, 12:58 AM
AirForceGeorge
1st Gear Member

I've always thought the poverty level military pay issues were silly.

The reason we often are so close to the poverty level is because our housing-utilities/food are either provided free of charge or given to us as a tax free entitlement that doesn't show on our taxes. Rather than being close to the poverty level we actually benefit from the fact that our income is so low on paper because we get more back in taxes and qualify for things like the Earned income child tax credit.

Now my career field is a little unique since it's heavy in special pays but when you take my BAH/BAS into account that's 15k a year extra. So ya, strip that and my salary doesn't look too hot. But count it, and the special pays and as a lowly E-4 I'm making roughly 45k a year. Not bad, especially since that doesn't count the 60k I got for re-enlisting. Even in other career fields though the average E-4 is making in the mid-high 30's. That is nowhere near the poverty level. Especially for someone who is usually in their very early 20's.
Old 05-03-2006, 01:11 AM
Andys06GT
2nd Gear Member

okay, even if you add the BAH/BAS/fact that my state doesnt charge state taxes, which wouldnt be much anyway, but it doesnt add up. what exactly can an e-4 do in the air force that warrants 45k a year? unless you've been an e-4 for over a decade, cant see it adding up to quite that much. e-4, just under 3 years, deployment, and recent re-up bonus (which wasnt close to 60k), and im still not really ahead. you figure the time worked, over yearly SALARY, and its screwed. hourly, even back home welding, if i worked as much as i do now, id be bankin. and consider this, my sole purpose in life as a scout is to get shot at. spent over a year doing it, and doing it quite well. but did i see a cent more than someone who sat around all day playing the part of the glorious "fobbits", telling war stories to people back home? hell no. most of em got more decorations for less "war-time contribution". sorry to change the thread topic unofficialy, but the point is, through all that, i got my mustang. and gas doesnt keep me up at night.
Old 05-03-2006, 01:31 AM
jt14894
2nd Gear Member

That's ok. I have a lot respect for all those serving in the U.S. Military. By the way, I have no idea what you guys were saying, but sounds great!

These are great points, but my point about all this is conservation and how you can get you more of your moneys worth per fill up.
I never said that I wanted speed limits reduced and I hated Jimmy Carter.
Of course, it's not the answer to the big picture, but I would rather drive a little more conservatively and pay, for example, $60 to fill up once a month rather than $60 three times ($180) a month. Wouldn't you agree?
I love my Z and my Mustang GT and I didn't get them just plainly for speeding and racing. I got them because of my family's history of ownership and because I like the way they look and perform. Whenver I want to get on them, I will, but the vast majority of the time I'm driving conservatively. My Z gets great MPG and averages just over 24 MPG city and 29 hwy while my Mustang averages just over 22 MPG city and 26 hwy.
I know I can afford $3+ a gallon, but I'm not spoiled rich. I could easily go out and buy a BMW and a Hummer, but I'm not that type of person. With the money I save filling up once a month ($180 - $60 = $120), I could use that to buy other things (i.e. electronics, mods, food, etc.). And saving $120 a month ($1440/yr) can go a long way.
I agree with viking396 and I'm all for the production of alternative fuels, but it doesn't seem to me that there's not much of an urgency.
I remember an old episode of the Dukes of Hazzard where they used moonshine to run a car. I wonder why that isn't being researched more since thats made of potatoes and, I think, sugar. Not I like I know how to make that stuff. Noo!!
So whats it going to take?
Old 05-03-2006, 01:39 AM
AirForceGeorge
1st Gear Member

Sorry about the little off topic spin here guys but...

http://usmilitary.about.com/library/...6enlsalary.htm

There are some annual pay charts linked there so you can compare what you make to civilians. I feel you in that one of my biggest problems with military pay is the Communistic equality of pay regardless of job. Even with the special pays and bonuses someone sitting in a finance office makes about 80% of what people in my career field do. Ridiculous when you consider on average we've been deployed about 24 of the last 48 months and go through 3 years of highly specialized training. I feel even more strongly about the guys on the ground taking fire who sould be making more than everyone.

Still we get paid fairly well. And have awesome benefits. I don't think a lot of people realize it until they get out. E-4 base is 1800, my BAH is 900 here, 260 BAS, 500 between flight and FLPP pay is roughly 3500 a month or 42k which doesn't count tax benefit.

I agree though, I'm not gonna stay up at night worrying about gas prices. Spending 6 months away during your daughters first year will definitely put things into perspective.

Old 05-03-2006, 02:12 PM
Leddhedd

I don't know about anyone else, but I bought my GT because it goes FAST and looks GREAT doing it. Fuel economy wasn't even on my list, or I would have gotten the V6. I figure the price of gas is part of the process and I knew going in I'd be spending a lot, since I drive aggresively almost all the time. That (IMO) is what a muscle car is designed for, and it certainly is what I bought it for. That having been said, my V8 GT gets better mileage than a lot of V6 SUV's including (regrettably) my '95 pathfinder.

Quick Reply: Take it slow and save big on gas