Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

CAI Causing Check Engine Light *Update*

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2006, 03:12 PM
Tracedaddy
4th Gear Member

Default RE: CAI Causing Check Engine Light

ORIGINAL: Herknav

I eventually (after a day) went back to the stock tune and reloaded the CAI specific tune from the Pred website and reloaded... no CELs since.

Done this already. I have 1 tune without a CAI and 1 with. I had the "W/O'" tune on at first with no problems. After I put the CAI on I retuned it to the "With" tune and saw the problem after the first restart.

Seems to me I've been reading on here that nothing is really needed if you get a CAI and skip the tune. If that's the case, why should this be presenting a problem now?
Old 05-04-2006, 03:19 PM
sowaxeman
Retired Moderator

You can't add a CAI kit without a tune - you will get a lean CEL [&:], unless it is not a TRUE CAI. What brand tuner did you get and what brand CAI?? Either of those mfr's should be able to email you the proper tune to load into the handheld to be flashed. A Dyno Tune shouldn't be necessary for just a CAI, but at the very least a proper canned tune is needed to adjust for the increased air flow.
Old 05-04-2006, 03:36 PM
Herknav
3rd Gear Member

Agreed. If you got the CAI with a handheld tuner, you should have also gotten the correct tune. I would contact the manufacturer and ask for it.
Old 05-04-2006, 04:04 PM
Tracedaddy
4th Gear Member

I have made a call. The setup is a Steeda tune on an SCT Xcalibrator and a MAC Straight Shot CAI.
Old 05-05-2006, 10:48 AM
Tracedaddy
4th Gear Member

A quick update.

Steeda called with no help. According to them their tunes ONLY work with Steeda CAI's. Guess it's an all or nothing thing. I'm not real happy. Have not read that piece of info anywhere.

I did contact MAC Performance to see if they had any answers. I'll let you know if they're any more help.

In the mean time...Anyone want to swap a brand new MAC Straight shot with about 200 miles on it for a Steeda CAI? I'll pay shipping!

[]
Old 05-05-2006, 11:31 AM
MusiccityGT
4th Gear Member

Not sure on the SCT, but with my Predator, if I make any change, my tuner hooks up my predator, does a couple of cruise data logs and then a couple of WOT data logs and then lets me know if we need to adjust the A/F. He doesn't have to put it back on the dyno to check my A/F
like when he did the custom dynotune for me.
Old 05-05-2006, 11:50 AM
Tracedaddy
4th Gear Member

That's kind of what I was hoping Steeda would say. Didn't work out that way.

I was able to contact the guy who sold me the tuner and he's willing to swap his Steeda CAI for my MAC. I think we should be good now.
Old 05-05-2006, 01:01 PM
sowaxeman
Retired Moderator

Steeda creates tunes for their CAI's - this is true. Who sold you a MAC CAI with a Steeda tune [&:] That makes no sense! Call Brent at Brenspeed as he is a dealer for MAC and SCT - he's probably got a canned or custom tune that will take care of you. I wouldn't give up on the straight shot just yet - you just need the correct tune.

Old 09-27-2006, 10:14 PM
stargazer468
1st Gear Member

Is driving with the CEL (lean conditions) for short periods of time really bad?
Old 09-27-2006, 10:58 PM
Sonic Boom NH
2nd Gear Member

A lean condition at any time, even for a short time, is bad for the motor. A lean condition means much higher temperatures in the combustion chamber then normal and that is not good for the values, cylinders, rings etc…

Higher then normal combustion temperatures can also cause pre-ignition (knock) that is VERY bad for the rods and crank. If the knock is not bad enough then generally the computer can correct for that by taking timing out which takes horsepower away. However the computer can only correct or compensate so much for a problem…

Quick Reply: CAI Causing Check Engine Light *Update*