Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

CAI Causing Check Engine Light *Update*

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2006, 11:50 AM
Tracedaddy
4th Gear Member

Default CAI Causing Check Engine Light *Update*

Added the CAI last weekend and now I can't get rid of the Check engine light. I tried detuning it and retuning it and the light went out, but came back after the first restart. Yesterday I took it to Checker and had them read the code. Sure enough it says I'm running lean. (No surprise really with the CAI) He cleared the error and I made it through 2 restarts but this morning it was back again.

Anyone run into this and what did you do to clear it permanently.

Thanks.
Old 05-03-2006, 11:56 AM
Fatblazer
1st Gear Member

Default RE: CAI Causing Check Engine Light

Yes, Don't do anything. The computers will self adjust after 200-400 miles. The check engine light will come off. When I put in my CAI last year, I cam across the same problem.
Old 05-03-2006, 11:59 AM
Tracedaddy
4th Gear Member

That's good news. Thanks. Guess it's time to take a nice long drive somewhere.
Old 05-03-2006, 01:53 PM
ratzila
2nd Gear Member

If it is running in the safe mode wouldn't it damage the engine. I know that when I installed a steeda cai with a sct tune the check engine light came on and then it went into the safe mode. The car would not rev over 3000rpm. I went back to the stock intake and it cleared up. I had problems with the tune for one company that could not be resolved. They blamed sct and sct blamed the tune. So I went with brenspeed's sct & c&l cai tune package and could not be any happier.
Old 05-03-2006, 01:55 PM
Tracedaddy
4th Gear Member

If the indication of safe mode is not revving past 3000, that isn't a problem. The things is DEFINITELY stronger than stock.
Old 05-03-2006, 02:17 PM
ratzila
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Tracedaddy

If the indication of safe mode is not revving past 3000, that isn't a problem. The things is DEFINITELY stronger than stock.
Then you shouldn't have a problem [sm=gears.gif] except the grin on your face.
Old 05-04-2006, 02:16 AM
4wheelkillr
2nd Gear Member

I think a big problem is how much faith we put in these canned tunes we receive with our CAI packages. Although I've heard lots of good things about the tunes that come from Fred and Brent.

I just installed my C&L and Predator and installed the canned tune and I thru a CEL in about 10 minutes too. Took it to my dyno anyway to have it tuned right. The intake WITH the canned tune had my a/f ratio stuck at about 15. After a few minutes on the dyno we had it down to about 12.8-2.9 average- no more CEL.

I also noticed that my intake and Predator along with a dyno tune did very VERY little for my hp. I picked up 12hp and 11tq. That's it!...I was pretty annoyed. That's after fixing the a/f ratio and after adding some timing. I think it's probably the altitude here in Denver-the air has such low oxygen saturation that the CAI just doesn't help that much.

I think "letting the computer self adjust" is a bad idea. If there's something WRONG the computer will decrease timing or spark or change the map volts to stabalize the problem. It's like a bandaid and it's forcing you to leave power on the table. Get it to a tuner with a wide band a/f meeter and they can adjust the maps to make it right.
Old 05-04-2006, 08:26 AM
Herknav
3rd Gear Member

I don't think driving with a CEL and waiting for the computer to "adjust" is the right answer... I think that is a good way to damage your engine... I think you might be loading the wrong tune. I had the same problem when I got my CAI and Pred... I *thought* I was putting the right tune in. I eventually (after a day) went back to the stock tune and reloaded the CAI specific tune from the Pred website and reloaded... no CELs since.
Old 05-04-2006, 10:35 AM
sowaxeman
Retired Moderator

ORIGINAL: Herknav

I don't think driving with a CEL and waiting for the computer to "adjust" is the right answer... I think that is a good way to damage your engine... I think you might be loading the wrong tune. I had the same problem when I got my CAI and Pred... I *thought* I was putting the right tune in. I eventually (after a day) went back to the stock tune and reloaded the CAI specific tune from the Pred website and reloaded... no CELs since.
Ditto - why would you want your computer to "self adjust" (if in fact that does happen - never hear of this on the 3v's) for a lean condition?? Apparently the tune you got with your CAI (you did get a tuner right?) is junk. Get a better tune/tuner and get it flashed correctly so you are not running lean.

What CAI and tuner did you get?
Old 05-04-2006, 01:21 PM
rex7010
3rd Gear Member

Get that car on the Dyno ASAP... for a Dyno tune with somebody that knows what they are doing.. problem gone...

Rex

Quick Reply: CAI Causing Check Engine Light *Update*