Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Has anyone tried this?

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2006, 08:57 PM
Sean3667
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: Has anyone tried this?

ORIGINAL: blk05stang

However if done correctly there's no danger in cutting your springs.
Therein lies the key disclaimer ... if done correctly. If one doesn't have the proper experience, or equipment, to do it, it's probably more hassle and risk than it's worth.
Old 05-09-2006, 06:39 AM
Orion_240
6th Gear Member

I don't get it. I mean I know it's a V-6 and all but you probably have a car that cost over $23K w/ taxes. Why ruin it with cut springs? You plan on crashing it and getting your money back (minus the $1000 deductible that most of us have)?
Do it right, shop around, try lowballing someone on E-bay or wait for a good sale on springs. Find a reputable dealer who has a guarantee. Otherwise you are messing with the resale value of your mustang! Look at the $$$ guys here are spemding on their rides! Save up and do it right! Nuff said!
Old 05-09-2006, 09:35 AM
QuickShortBus
I ♥ Acer

ORIGINAL: Wicked Pony

I don't know where you guys got your springs, but it adds up and becomes very expensive: $200-$250 for set of springs, $100-$150 for adjustable pan hard bar, If I get the front springs put on I need to pay for installation and a front end alignment. So we're talkin about 500 for springs and I cant afford that right now.
Sorry but I have a hard time seeing the problem with spending a little bit of cash on a $20-30k car. Leave cutting and heating springs to the idiots with rice rockets.

Using your numbers it will still run you $300. Because you will still need the adjustable panhard bar, you will still need to pay for installation and for the springs to be cut if you are lowering the front and you will still need the alignment. So you might save $200 and your ride will suffer and it really won't handle that much better.

If you can install the rears then you should be capable of installing the fronts they aren't hard. Rent a spring compressor from your local parts store and you won't need to pay for installation. You will still need the alignment and the panhard bar could wait until you have additional funds.
Old 05-09-2006, 09:51 AM
hawgman
I ♥ Acer

I don't know where you guys got your springs, but it adds up and becomes very expensive: $200-$250 for set of springs, $100-$150 for adjustable pan hard bar, If I get the front springs put on I need to pay for installation and a front end alignment. So we're talkin about 500 for springs and I cant afford that right now.
So are you somehow thinking that making your stock springs shorter will not require a pan hard bar and an alignment? Think again.
Old 05-09-2006, 12:05 PM
Wicked Pony
3rd Gear Member

Thank you all for all of your comments/opinions. I have decieded to wait and do it right. Maybe someone will give me springs for my birthday (its in Aug) LOL! I guess I am done modding for this year and wait till my money builds up again next year.

Thank you again! [sm=icon_cheers.gif]
Old 05-09-2006, 12:25 PM
fullspect951

I cut my springs last summer and haven't had a problem. I cut 1.5 coils from the back and 1 from the front and it sits very nice. Ride quality is the same as aftermarket springs.
\

i dont understand this at all. if you cant afford to do it all at once, do it over time. after market springs are not that expensive anyways, and if your willing to cut your factory springs to savve a couple of bucks. well i would hate to see what you do to other parts of your car to modify it. take it from me i tried shortcuts in the past and ended up screwing myself over. do it right if you want myy oppinion.
Old 05-09-2006, 01:44 PM
PullMeOverRed05
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: hawgman

So are you somehow thinking that making your stock springs shorter will not require a pan hard bar and an alignment? Think again.
Isn't there also some type of adapter that is needed after lowering the car that is required to get the caster/camber alignment correct?