Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Techs at Dealership are freakin IDIOTS!

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2006, 02:01 AM
bunit9685
1st Gear Member

Default RE: Techs at Dealership are freakin IDIOTS!

ORIGINAL: backinblack06

I have my Sea Ray routine serviced often, and I tell you what I love my mechanics, They are meticiculous about every little thing and treat every boat and everything as if it was their own. They are the best bunch of guys that I have ever met, but the thing I respect most about them is that they call me and ask my express permission If they can take my boat out and if I want to go with to oversee/make sure repairs were done. I love those guys and that to me is quality workmanship and I wish car dealers would do the same. Now grantid my boat costs 4 times as much as my mustang and calling for test drives would be ridiculous after awhile but I wish people would just take the same amount of pride in their work with cars as they do with my boat.
Ya were the same way, nice to know that there are some stand up marine service shops out there.
Old 05-17-2006, 03:34 AM
Fly
2nd Gear Member

If you want to get back at the tech, that's real easy and you won't even go to jail. Here's how... Get in touch with the General Manager of the dealership, tell him about the rubber on your quarter panels, then tell him you want him to personally supervise when you bring it back to the dealership to download the tattle tale from the processor. He will see that his tech is hammering his customer's cars, and the customers get blamed for it if a warranty claim arises. If I'm not mistaken, there is telemetry stored in that Spanish Oak processor.
Just a thought...
Old 05-17-2006, 04:09 AM
rex7010
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: bunit9685

Techs just hook computers up to vehicles and find out whats wrong, they dont really know anything. Thats what you find at most dealerships.
Sorry .. but I disagree with you on that.. I was in the auto industry for over 20+ years and it has not been that long since I have been out of it.. ( appox 5 years )
and I still have buds in the industry..

we know what we are doing.. I never needed a computer to find a problem for me unless it was a code I had to pull from the ECM in order to clear the code and find out what made the code come on..

have I ever put a scratch on a car..?? sure I have .. but I did tell my Service Manager about it and told him I was sorry and that I am not perfect...!!! nobody is..!!!! and they fixed the scratch with a pro..

burn outs.. yeah I have taken a car out and seen what it will do .. but I have never beaten a persons car to death or done a burn out..!!

they are correct.. by just yelling.. you are not getting your point across the correct way.. yes I know you are ticked off.. and I would be also.. but you have to give them a chance to "make it right"

get a new dash.. I will guarantee that they will put there BEST tech. on your car and you will be more that happy..

it is all about TSI numbers ( Total Customer Satisfaction Index ) you will get a letter from Ford.. Ford wants to know if they done a good job...!!! the dealer doesn't want that bad rap.. or there TSI goes down.. there are BIG prizes for the dealership with the best TSI.. esp. for the Service Manager.. he will get a free trip to Hawaii or something like that (everything paid for.. not one red cent out of his pocket for him and his wife)

I would give then ONE more try .. then I would take it to another Ford Dealer.. it is also wise to get to know your Tech. and ask for him every time.. plus throw a couple bucks his way if he done a good job.. he will remember you next time and WANT to work on your car once you get to know each other..

trust me.. what do I have to gain..?? nothing...

best of luck.. send me a PM when it is all said and done with.. if you try MY WAY.. it works, you will just have to give it a try and trust me on this..
again I should know.. as I have been there and done that..

Rex
Old 05-17-2006, 09:15 AM
madmike
1st Gear Member

My last trip to the dealership was a nightmare. The mechanic scratched my door sills with his big f'un feet. I didn't notice it until the next day when I was washing the car. Of course since I didn't bring it to their attention before I drove away, they will not take responsibility. If I found rubber on the rear panels along with that, I would have went to jail! There is no excuse to "dog" a customers car that way, for any reason.
Now, I wait for the car to be serviced/repaired, this keeps the mech from playing "test pilot" with my car and insures it's not parked in the ready lot where people live to throw open their doors against your car.
Sorry about the rant, the lack of respect from dealerships drives me nuts.
Old 05-17-2006, 09:53 AM
BLACK06GT4ME
2nd Gear Member

I agree with rex7010. I'd probably be just as upset as you are, my Mustang is my third child and treated very well. Dealerships are independent and can't survive long with bad service. We all are really hyper sensitive about our cars, but most dealers will make good on their mistakes if you deal with them in a professional manner. It's a real battle not to start screaming, but that does nothing for you. I've established a good relationship with my dealership and with three Mustangs getting serviced there, I get pretty good results. They scratched the crap out of my son's 96 bumper and when I brought it to their attention actually replaced the bumper. If your dealer can't satisfy you go to a different dealership.

Good luck with the repairs.
Old 05-17-2006, 11:04 AM
sowaxeman
Retired Moderator

This is why I NEVER take my car to the dealer unless I obsolutely have to. I won't slam techs because for the most part they do know what they are doing, the just aren't over precautious with our rides like we are. If I EVER have to take my car in it will be on appointment with the parts ready and waiting - no leaving it without me. And any/all test drives will be done with me in the drivers seat, or at the very least in the passenger seat with a CLEAN technician who is wearing clean shoes, no cells, pagers, leathermans, etc...

This story just makes me pissed off right along with you man [:@]
Old 05-17-2006, 12:39 PM
06GT4RAD
5th Gear Member

Techs just hook computers up to vehicles and find out whats wrong, they dont really know anything. Thats what you find at most dealerships.

I work in Marine Service and from my experience honesty is the best policy (unless you can fix it before the customer comes to pick up the vehicle :P ). If you know you did something you call the customer, tell em the damage, and tell em it's being fixed asap. If you didnt know you did it and get blamed for it you dont deny it, you dont argue, you just accept it and take care of it (unless the customer is really out of line and flat out lieing). Stuff like those scratches happens all the time. That tech was an idiot for lieing/arguing like that and the dealership is stupid if they didnt get on his *** for scratching it first off and then arguing with you.

As far as the burnouts go... out of line, and the rubber should have been cleaned off in the first place by the dealer. Now there could have been a reason for a test drive and there could have not been, other than taking it out to make sure everything is ok. We do it all the time. I can damn well guarantee you when a 35' fountain comes in with twin 500 hp merc motors that we are going to run it even if it wasnt in for a running problem, or the 18 liberator cat with a 300 merc outboard that does 105mph... I wouldnt say taking your car for a ride was out of line to make sure it was all ok, just the burnouts were.

Yelling and arguing isnt going to help either, I know you were pissed but all it does is make all the guys go in the back after you leave and talk **** about you and care that much less about going the extra mile to make things right. You should have let them fix your scratch and if they showed further incompetence then you should take it elsewhere, never go back, and send them a bill.

Just some constructive advice from someone in the service industry.
I did not yell once in fact i remained very calm about the whole thing because I am a service manager at another shop, so I know it is not nice to be yelled at. I was very polite and matter of fact about the whole thing. I also am not saying he shouldn't have test driven the car. No real reason for it since the problem was in regard to the blinker and nothing else's. The fact that he did the burnout is what pisses me off. My car has less than two hundred miles on it and has already been scratched more than more 97 F-150 I have.

Richard
Old 05-17-2006, 09:22 PM
drbobvs
5th Gear Member

I agree w/ sowaxman, i only use the dealer if its absolutely necessary. AS FAR as the burnouts and such I would insist on a written warranty extension by the dealer. 6 mos, 1yr, whatever. They potentially shortened the life expectancy of your powertrain, and if they feel they didn't, they should back it up with a written warranty.

[IMG]local://upfiles/16153/86DCAACE9ACB477190782C7E658CF212.jpg[/IMG]
Old 05-17-2006, 09:31 PM
06GT4RAD
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: drbobvs

I agree w/ sowaxman, i only use the dealer if its absolutely necessary. AS FAR as the burnouts and such I would insist on a written warranty extension by the dealer. 6 mos, 1yr, whatever. They potentially shortened the life expectancy of your powertrain, and if they feel they didn't, they should back it up with a written warranty.

[IMG]local://upfiles/16153/86DCAACE9ACB477190782C7E658CF212.jpg[/IMG]
Well i already have the 7/100k Warranty so I highly doubt they will add to that. I spoke with the Service Writer today and he said he talked to the tech and of course the tech denied he did the burnout. So i told him rather matter a factly yet very calmly that his tech is a F-ing Liar just like he lied about the scratch. He then tells me he does not know what else he can do. So i told him give me the owners name for the dealership. I then called the owner and am awaiting a phone call from him.

Richard
Old 05-17-2006, 09:47 PM
bunit9685
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: rex7010

Sorry .. but I disagree with you on that.. I was in the auto industry for over 20+ years and it has not been that long since I have been out of it.. ( appox 5 years )
and I still have buds in the industry..

we know what we are doing.. I never needed a computer to find a problem for me unless it was a code I had to pull from the ECM in order to clear the code and find out what made the code come on..

have I ever put a scratch on a car..?? sure I have .. but I did tell my Service Manager about it and told him I was sorry and that I am not perfect...!!! nobody is..!!!! and they fixed the scratch with a pro..

burn outs.. yeah I have taken a car out and seen what it will do .. but I have never beaten a persons car to death or done a burn out..!!

they are correct.. by just yelling.. you are not getting your point across the correct way.. yes I know you are ticked off.. and I would be also.. but you have to give them a chance to "make it right"

get a new dash.. I will guarantee that they will put there BEST tech. on your car and you will be more that happy..

it is all about TSI numbers ( Total Customer Satisfaction Index ) you will get a letter from Ford.. Ford wants to know if they done a good job...!!! the dealer doesn't want that bad rap.. or there TSI goes down.. there are BIG prizes for the dealership with the best TSI.. esp. for the Service Manager.. he will get a free trip to Hawaii or something like that (everything paid for.. not one red cent out of his pocket for him and his wife)

I would give then ONE more try .. then I would take it to another Ford Dealer.. it is also wise to get to know your Tech. and ask for him every time.. plus throw a couple bucks his way if he done a good job.. he will remember you next time and WANT to work on your car once you get to know each other..

trust me.. what do I have to gain..?? nothing...

best of luck.. send me a PM when it is all said and done with.. if you try MY WAY.. it works, you will just have to give it a try and trust me on this..
again I should know.. as I have been there and done that..

Rex
I guess no one ever joked about that where you worked then.

Quick Reply: Techs at Dealership are freakin IDIOTS!