Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Questions for you '05/'06 owners

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2006, 09:29 PM
viking396
5th Gear Member

Default RE: Questions for you '05/'06 owners

ORIGINAL: flieger67

I posted this in the new member area but I thought it might get more traffic here. So here goes:

I'm new to the forum and to be up front, I don't have a Mustang... yet. My current "ride" is a tired ol' '96 Saturn SL-2 that has actually served me well. However, I will be buying a new vehicle at the end of this year.

That brings me to the point of joining this forum. I'm looking for my first new car and I want it to be a sports coupe. My wife currently has the practical car (a Subaru Forester) so I get to have the fun car. To that end, I've been considering the Mustang (either the V6 or V8, but for sure with the Premium package and a hard top) as well as the 350Z, the Acura RSX-Type S and possibly the Mistubishi Eclipse.

So Mustang fans, tell me why I should want the 'Stang over the others. For what it's worth, I intend to use the car for regular driving, including in the winter. Also, as the car needs to outlast the loan, I'm concerned about getting 6 years of reliable usage. I'd appreciate any comments about any problems with your '05/'06 Mustangs as I want to go into this purchase with my eyes wide open.

Thanks for your responses!
If you want to be bored out of your skull buy the Acura, Type-S or not, it's a very boring car.
Old 05-24-2006, 10:16 PM
BradInFl
2nd Gear Member

Mustang! I was sucked into the Mustang world by the sound of the exhaust. There is nothing like the sound of a Mustang.
Old 05-25-2006, 02:18 AM
Newbreedgt05
3rd Gear Member

Well, definitely don't get a new eclipse. That's more of a girl's car. As for the other cars, after you test drive them, you will want the mustang. It's just so addicting and appealing, it's hard to resist.
Good luck!
Old 05-25-2006, 02:44 AM
ss
2nd Gear Member

Do you have kids? the back seat is a little small, but I think all sports coupes have small rear seats. ( My other car is a large SUV) We still like to take the Mustang GT with the whole family. The kids like the "race car"
If you have an infant seat in the back you can't move the front seat back very far. I don't know if this is true of the other cars, but I was born & raised in big trucks, so I'm, spoiled for roominess.

Really...you will like the mustang. It will probably hold it's resale value longer too. It is a classic already.
Oh...not for nothin' but have you seen the new Challenger? I hear it's coming out next year. maybe another one to consider.
Old 05-25-2006, 04:44 AM
2smokinbarrells
1st Gear Member

The only way to know what is right for you is to test drive them. It all depends on what you want from the car. If you need room, great gas milage, fun, luxury and so on. I was in the same boat as you 1 year ago. I researched and test drove. Decided I wanted the mustang, but was going to wait until the 07 came out. The mustang was in my blood, so I broke down and bought an 06 three weeks ago. I am more than pleased with my decision. I look forward to driving now.

Here is a link to compare the GT, 350Z, and RX-8. Maybe it will help you in some way.http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/do.../model=Mustang
Old 05-25-2006, 10:07 AM
pcdrj
2nd Gear Member

Practical - The Mustang V8 was rated a "best buy" by consumer reports. Frakly they're priced well to compete with 350Z's, G35's, and GTOs (discontinued). I've also driven mine in the snow and found it very acceptable as compared to my dad's M3. I fold the rear seats down and take my kids to overnight hockey tournaments with no compromises. The new design shares the same platform as the Lincoln LS and is a very good handling daily driver. Seats are comfortable on long trips.

All of the above are what you tell you're wife. I was planning on buying a G35 until I drove one. It left me feeling sort of empty. I refused to drive the Mustang because it's a Ford. But the looks... I eventual took the test drive was was sucked into the Mustang vortex kicking and screaming. Once you drive this car it's a very slippery slope. One that'll leave a big smile on your face.
Old 05-25-2006, 11:03 AM
wildabouthorses
2nd Gear Member

This 05 is actually our very first Mustang...we both love it and fight over who gets to drive it!

Here's some reason's why we turned away from the 350z... It was the other car we were interested in until I read about this stuff on the 350z's

http://www.sheller.com/Practice.asp?PracticeID=145

http://www.nissantireproblems.com/20...-questions.htm

http://townhall-talk.edmunds.com/direct/view/.ef18c9a

http://www.350zmotoring.com/forums/a...x.php/f-5.html

http://calemons.com/nissan.htm

http://www.nissantireproblems.com/media.html
Old 05-25-2006, 11:23 AM
flieger67

Many thanks to all of you and your responses. To answer some of the questions you've all asked, here goes. My wife and I have no children and won't be having any in the future. I've not had a chance to test drive any of the cars that I've mentioned. As we won't be buying until maybe October at the absolute earliest, I'm really trying to get a big headstart on research so that when I start test drives, I'll go in with some knowledge.

But if I had the money right now, I'd be SORELY tempted to just take a quick test drive of a Mustang and work out a deal.

Please keep the comments and insight coming. I'm finding the feedback very informative and even though some may say that people on this forum are biased, I do think I'm gleaning useful info. And I did see the thread concerning problems with the Shaker stereo system, so I think there is a lot of valuable info here. Thanks again.
Old 05-25-2006, 08:19 PM
BLACK06GT4ME
2nd Gear Member

If you don't want to buy until October then don't test drive a Mustang until late September. Once you drive a Mustang GT you will suffer from problems concentrating, constantly looking for Mustangs to drool over, sleepless nights, the uncontrollable urge to drive by Ford dealerships to look at em and finally after you buy it a sore butt. The sore butt is from kicking yourself for not buying one sooner. Trust me they're more than addictive.

Good Luck

P.S. I give you 6 weeks, 8 tops before you have a pony in your garage.
Old 05-25-2006, 08:26 PM
rebelyell06
2nd Gear Member

When I was considering which car I wanted I looked at most of the cars you did. When it came down to it I decided on the Mustang because it was American and had a great deal of hp for a very, very, VERY, reasonable price. I wanted something that sounded like it had muscle, not a dentist drilling teeth. Besides there is 42 years of history behind this car, why not get your own piece of American automotive history.

Quick Reply: Questions for you '05/'06 owners