Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

aluminum drive shaft

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2006, 07:42 PM
spyder7724
4th Gear Member

Default RE: aluminum drive shaft

most of the vendors claim 20+rwhp improvment over stock. the stock shaft weighs about 45lbs. vs. mine at 16.5lbs. i tested them at the same track, conditions and tires with a net improvment of .21 seconds in my basically stock auto GT. there is no doubt you can tell the difference the first time you hit the throttle while driving. the engine responds quicker especially at slow speeds like <40mph. i don't know about spending $1200 on a c/fiber shaft but it was definitely worth the $300 i have in mine.
Old 05-26-2006, 07:47 PM
Rezalien
2nd Gear Member

Thanks rench and spyder...think this might be the next mod
Old 05-26-2006, 08:50 PM
Rench
1st Gear Member

Yes Spyder, judging by my times with different mods, tires and track conditions, I'll buy 2 tenths. On a slick track pror to the latest mods my best time was a 13.4. On the same track and the same conditions I pulled the 13.2. I think that backs up your gain as well.
20 hp increase seems about right as well. It is more noticeable. I think that's why I'm having more trouble controlling my launch and second gear spin. Also, I get a harder spin shifting to 3rd now, what used to be a chirp is now a kick sideways.

This blood, the harmonics aren't bad. It's a little noisier but not enough to be annoying. It kind of transmits road noise a little more.
No vibrations noticed at all.

If the weather would co-operate I could get to the track with the drag radials. Can't wait to test those out.

Initial street test was awesome...............
Old 05-26-2006, 10:12 PM
RMGraphics
Banned

where did you get one for $300??
Old 05-27-2006, 04:54 AM
Airborneflyguy
2nd Gear Member

pretty sure his was a ranger shaft conversion

anyone gotta link to the powerhouse shaft or a distributer?
Old 05-27-2006, 05:03 AM
Rench
1st Gear Member

Go here POWERHOUSE
Old 05-27-2006, 05:46 AM
RMGraphics
Banned

$700.00 for a driveline is just stupid. I bought one for my 02 GT from Ford Racing for like $200.00 maybe even a little cheaper. I now have the 06 GT but don't want to overpay for a simple part. I actually called Ford Racing to see if they had one out yet and they don't. I would imagine it will be cheaper than $700 when it comes out (if it does).
Old 05-27-2006, 01:44 PM
ThisBlood147
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Rench

Go here POWERHOUSE
I can't seem to find the info on the website..........do you know what the max. torque rating on the Powerhouse aluminum shaft is?
Old 05-27-2006, 02:44 PM
saud alzaabi
3rd Gear Member

Guys i swear my mind is going to blow up ....

im trying to the aluminum driveshaft from CHE performance and there occured the problem .... I tried using my addres and p.o.box here in uae and everything went right but after i checked out it said " We're sorry, but we were unable to process your credit card for the following reason:

This transaction has been declined. (Reason Code - 2) '

so then i went to sleep and an sms message woke me up saying that 699.99 has been taken from my account and then i went online at my local bank site and checked my account and it didnt show if something was taken ... so i sent them an email just to check and then went to sleep and today i received the email and them from CHE saying that they didnt get anymoney from me so i went to aramex and made me a us p.obox and addres in NY and then i tried again and it said the same thing after i checked out , but this time i received a message from my local bank saying cant proceed and reason is insufucient funds... WTF is wrong did i just lose 700 usd ? comun guys help ....
Old 05-27-2006, 04:47 PM
spyder7724
4th Gear Member

correct mine is a ranger shaft conversion. i was the first to do this and i have had mine in now for over 6 months with zero problems. problem is now alot of guys are doing this and the supply of ranger shafts is getting depleted. FRPP # M4601R shortened by 9" and change the companion flange over to M4851B(03-04 cobra style) or use the late model ranger yoke/companion flange. these are usually available from roland at Bryant Motorsports(rbracing) on ebay for $235shaft and $40flange. getting the shaft cut and balanced has been the hardest part for most guys doing this. if you are in the DC area i can send you someplace close that will do it right for about $50-75. final weight of mine=16.5lbs. vs. stock 45lbs.
my dad used to work for ford and he has found numerous times that the engineers at fomoco try to keep things somewhat interchangable. knowing that the ranger and mustang used the same trans and rear and sometimes suspension components i started looking there and found that in 2003 ford switched the rangers to an aluminum shaft with a slip joint due to some vibration problem they had then. heck we used to use ranger front rotors on fox body mustangs to convert them to 5lug. who would have thunk it? pick up truck stuff is performance stuff....well some of it.

Quick Reply: aluminum drive shaft