Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Problem with lower control arms

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2006, 07:18 PM
Hiboost
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: Problem with lower control arms

I am in nightmare hell myself. My first new car: 02 WRX > I don't have a time to list the issues. Second new car: 06 GT > Tranny and rear end sounds like SHI*, Needs TSB for fuel pump, rattle at low rpms at the tranny, the driver's seat feels like its broke or lose, the bumper covers don't really meet the body, front right suspension sounds like its going to fall apart, etc. Oh well, guess I will have to buy a Camry next. I should have never left Toyotas... I am glad I didn't sell my 85 Supra.

I did get a good price on it with my Z-plan tho.
Old 05-29-2006, 07:22 PM
W1ldcat
3rd Gear Member

Sounds like if you didn't have bad luck, you'de have not luck at all..
Sorry to hear that..[]
Old 05-29-2006, 11:59 PM
06GT4RAD
5th Gear Member

BMR is a great company to deal with and i am certain they will help you with your problem. I had and issue with there upper Panhard Support hitting the mid pipe and they actually have gone back and redesigned the bar with more of a drop in it to solve my issue. I along with a few other people have had this issue while others have not. But BMR has been great to deal with thus far.

Richard
Old 05-30-2006, 12:28 AM
mongrull006
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: CrazyAl

ORIGINAL: mongrull006

aparently the axel is not centered from the factory. the panhard bar sets this position, not the LCAs

Ty
This is unlikely. We don't know the setup on Steve's car, there is no way we can be sure what the cause is yet.

If he's lowered his car without switching to an adjustable panhard, then it's possible it's just the Panhard bar. It is extremely unlikely for the panhard length to be wrong if the car is not lowered.

Also, if the lengths of the LCAs are not correct (or not the same) then it can skew the axle to one side or the other--in addition to, or in place of, the panhard bar.
actually it very likely, think about how the panhard works, as the suspension compresses the panhard pushes the axle to the side, ford probably set the axle to one side purposly to make up the difference when the suspension is compressed fully, making the axle centered then at 1/2 compression. this would also be a benifit to wheel clearence. besides, there have been several people who have measured theres and it is off center from the factory https://mustangforums.com/m_1402729/tm.htm

i would imagine the LCAs would have to have a significant difference in length in order for them to push the axle to one side making the wheel way off center in the wheel well.

Ty
Old 05-30-2006, 12:55 AM
olym4gery
1st Gear Member

If I had all those problems with a car.................. I would fix those first, instead fo trying to put mods on.
Old 05-30-2006, 01:02 AM
Steven6095
3rd Gear Member

Mods were before and non related to the problem.
Old 05-30-2006, 01:04 AM
Steven6095
3rd Gear Member

Hey guys and gals:
Tonight at a ball game I took a look at a stock 06 V6.
Walk up to the back right (wheel facing you) and look down. This car's wheel was also toeing in a bit. About as much as mine.
Maybe this is "normal". Maybe just something I am seeing due to the curvature of the vender, but my fiance also saw it. I never noticed it on mine until I put the LCAs on, but then again I never really looked.
Old 05-30-2006, 10:31 AM
Steven6095
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: Problem with lower control arms (updated - yours too?)

**********bump************
I think I may be loosing my mind..[sm=dontgetit.gif]
Old 05-30-2006, 10:54 AM
CrazyAl
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: mongrull006

actually it very likely, think about how the panhard works, as the suspension compresses the panhard pushes the axle to the side, ford probably set the axle to one side purposly to make up the difference when the suspension is compressed fully, making the axle centered then at 1/2 compression. this would also be a benifit to wheel clearence. besides, there have been several people who have measured theres and it is off center from the factory https://mustangforums.com/m_1402729/tm.htm

i would imagine the LCAs would have to have a significant difference in length in order for them to push the axle to one side making the wheel way off center in the wheel well.

Ty

That's a damn good point. Ford may well have purposely offset the axle. However, what I meant was that it should be the same before and after the LCA install, if he didn't lower the car or make any other mods. If he just switched to the BMR LCAs, then the "offset" of the rear axle should have been the same as it was before.

As well, we're not just talking about the offset (left and right) of the axle. In his original post, Steve says:

Looks like my back right is turned a little bit inward.
That implies that the axle is somehow "rotated", (from a bird's-eye perspective looking down at the car). This could happen easily of one control arm were longer than the other--for example if he had adjustable LCAs and they were set to different lengths. But, with 1-pc LCAs, if indeed this is going on with Steve's car, then something is REALLY wrong.
Old 05-30-2006, 11:03 AM
Steven6095
3rd Gear Member

I am not worried about the wheels being off centered. The fact the back right wheel looks to be pointed inward toward the car has me concerned.
I am going to put the stock ones back on and see what happens then. Nothing against BMR but I want it back to stock and see what it looks like then.

Quick Reply: Problem with lower control arms