Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

SLP LM rattle

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2006, 01:24 AM
RICAKILLA
2nd Gear Member

Default SLP LM rattle

Just installed the LoudMouths about two weeks ago, and have had some rattle ever since.. I went back under and tightened all the clamps and stuff a few days after install, seemed to reduce most of it, but there is still a rattle coming from the rear usually between 1500-2500 rpms-ish...Anyone else had this problem?
Old 06-01-2006, 01:58 AM
Scooter80
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: SLP LM rattle

Check to make sure the hangers attached to the muffler are not too long and protruding through the rubber mounts and contacting the trunk. Mine was too long on the driver's side rear hanger and was in contact with the trunk, causing vibration and rattle at certain rpm's and bumps in the road. I have Corsa but have heard the same problem for other brands including SLP. It is especially a problem if you mounted the exhaust so the tips stick out further than stock would have.
Old 06-01-2006, 05:46 PM
RICAKILLA
2nd Gear Member

sweet thxx ill take a look tooday
Old 06-01-2006, 07:02 PM
jdback19
4th Gear Member

thats what it is man had the same problem drivers side!!
Old 06-04-2006, 06:29 PM
Vcoat
3rd Gear Member

Thanks Scooter that was my problem also! I have the Corsa's. When the car warmed up and i put it under a load going uphill the hanger would hit the the metal of the trunk. Not sure how to fix it at the moment? i guess try to cut off a a piece of the hanger or maybe put some rubber groment there...any suggestions?
Old 06-04-2006, 06:29 PM
Vcoat
3rd Gear Member

Thanks Scooter that was my problem also! I have the Corsa's. When the car warmed up and i put it under a load going uphill the hanger would hit the the metal of the trunk. Not sure how to fix it at the moment? i guess try to cut off a a piece of the hanger or maybe put some rubber groment there...any suggestions?
Old 06-04-2006, 07:39 PM
CrazyAl
5th Gear Member

This happened to me with the Borla stingers.

Take off the muffler and cut off a short piece of the hanger rod, then re-assemble it. Problem solved!

The rubber grommet would help, but it will still transfer some sound to your car. Plus, you constantly have to worry about it falling off or wearing out.
Old 06-04-2006, 07:49 PM
Kaldar142
4th Gear Member

yeah, the damn rattle is driving me nuts but im to lazy to get under there a cut it then i have to realign the pipes again (mine just always seem to be crooked =/) lol
Old 06-04-2006, 07:58 PM
Scooter80
2nd Gear Member

Instead of taking the muffler back off, I just got under there with a recip saw and hacked off about an inch of the hanger... Problem Solved!!!
Saved me having to re-align the thing too...That was a pain WITH someone else to tighten the clamp while I was holding it in the correct position, and I didn't have that person when I troubleshooted the vibe problem.
Old 06-04-2006, 08:57 PM
RICAKILLA
2nd Gear Member

sweet, i just happend to have aquired a reciprocating saw recently, thanks for the idea! i can see how well it works [sm=goodidea.gif]

Quick Reply: SLP LM rattle