Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2006 GT vs 2005 wrx bpu

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2006, 03:25 PM
sl8anic
1st Gear Member

Default RE: 2006 GT vs 2005 wrx bpu

Right on. I love move convertible, with all it's shortcomings If I wanted to replace WRX with something faster I would've gotten an STI or Evo. I did test drive Elise 3 times, now THAT is a nutty car...

AD

ORIGINAL: mikewillsmith

A stock GT vs a stock WRX or STI... the GT would be smoked in the corners. I'm owned one of each and the Mustnag I love, but it doesn't handle for crap unless you do lots of mods (compared to a WRX or STI).

As long as the road is straight I can get my buddies WRX, but no chance with an STI. (stock vs stock)

If a coener comes up... watch the Subaru leave you stranded.

I'm a Mustang lover, but facts is facts.
Old 06-02-2006, 04:12 PM
davemurray
1st Gear Member

I know my wrx will outhandle the stang easily, and I've beaten the hell outta most 4.6 ltrs with my 2.0 turbo.
Cornering and offroad the mustang is no match for the subaru.
Old 06-02-2006, 09:38 PM
bl1nk
5th Gear Member

Thats because youre putting a 3500 lb car thats 8, if not more inches off the ground up against a 2500 lb car thats about 5... its physics from there...
Old 06-02-2006, 10:00 PM
Sleeper05
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: mikewillsmith

I used to drive a 2005 Subaru STI. That is fater and handles way better than my 06 GT vert, but one of my mechanics has a Subaru WRX with an exhaust, a blow off valve and a few other tricks (nothing wild though). My bone stock GT vert eats that thing alive, especially on the top end. He has a slightly better launch with the all wheel drive but soon atfer the launch it is "bye- bye".

We all frequently race when we leave the shop together at the end of the day.

for the cost of the sti its rediculously easy to make that 06 much faster, and even handle better. i've dominated a few sti's through canyon roads in my stang, and its cost me 30k including all my parts installed.

mikewillsmith--a stock gt is no slower than a stock sti from a roll, nor is it slower from a dig unless the sti driver is ballsy enough to do wreck shop on his tranny. with just 4.10s i handily walked a couple evos/stis. with my current mods, its been a while since i had a good race (drive less often could be part of it lol)
Old 06-02-2006, 10:23 PM
davemurray
1st Gear Member

Mine weights 3,126 its 374 lbs less on the subaru, I would say its the suspension components that make the diference, needles to say the AWD is a must when taking tight corners. Bottom line the Mustang really impressed me and it's a awesome car, really cheap to mod, powerfull......the wrx is a performance bargain and the handeling is outstanding.
If only I could afford both.......
Old 06-02-2006, 10:25 PM
sl8anic
1st Gear Member

Well, I've driven WRX for 3 years last 2.5 were with a UTEC. Maybe you're a really good driver... IMHO there's no comparing WRX/STI to Mustang, sorry, stock or not... GT does feel stronger on a straightaway, anything with curves - it's a toast.
Old 06-02-2006, 10:56 PM
Hiboost
2nd Gear Member

I have an 06 GT and I am going to have to spend a crap load just to get it to handle no where near close to the WRX...

If the new WRX is like my 02, a $3 part will make a world of difference on top end. The stock cars have a weak wastegate spring which will allow for less boost the faster and harder you drive. Also, a slight modification can be done to the stock valve to avoid boost leakage by the valve.

BPU goes for turbo cars and usually consists of: Turbo back exhaust, upgraded intercooler, better BOV or recirc valve(if the stock has a weak spring), and an intake.

Do we have to have another Mustang vs. WRX/STi thread.... as long as your in the desert on a straight road...the Mustang can't be beat...[8D]
Old 06-02-2006, 11:26 PM
281GT
3rd Gear Member

I'm not too sure why people are comparing a Subaru WRX to a Mustang GT. They are completely different cars made for totally different purposes. Both have their advantges and disadvantages. Both are great cars but not comparable at all. Just my 0.2 cents.
Old 06-03-2006, 12:48 AM
SweetGT
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 281GT

I'm not too sure why people are comparing a Subaru WRX to a Mustang GT. They are completely different cars made for totally different purposes. Both have their advantges and disadvantages. Both are great cars but not comparable at all. Just my 0.2 cents.
I owened an 04 STi with the TBE(turbo back exhaust, not cats) and it was fast as sh#@ from a stop, but from anything less that a dig i got beat by my buddys 99 TA 6 spd(CAI and Loudmouth) it was a car and half to two cars lengths but not much more than that till 100 mph. My buddys 03 WRX with TBE couldnt even hang with us till 80mph, we were puttin car legnths on him in every gear.

But like everyone said...U cant compare the two. they are meant for different crowds. I personally love RWD, but had to try the AWD thing. It was great but i liked burning out on occasion and having the badaZZ v8 sound. So needless to say here i am.

Oh and by the way that guy who said somethin to the effect of "nor is it slower from a dig unless the sti driver is ballsy enough to do wreck shop on his tranny" The STI 6 spd tranny is one of the strongest transmission I have ever heard of in stock form, and never heard of anyone blowin one up. Theres a guy that has an STi street driven in the 8s from Puerto Rico that has over 900 awhp. That was on a Mustang AWD and he is using stock 6spd with upgraded clutch(obviously)...

Just my two cents

Old 06-03-2006, 03:45 AM
davemurray
1st Gear Member

That's Big valley's STI running on stock transmission wich will run at Englishtown's Evo/subaru event.
Both are nice cars on their own.

Quick Reply: 2006 GT vs 2005 wrx bpu