Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2006 GT vs 2005 wrx bpu

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2006, 07:49 AM
Herknav
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: 2006 GT vs 2005 wrx bpu

Hmm, owned my 02 WRX since I bought it new in April 01 and I have *never* heard the term BPU.

re: STi tranny - Already stated, but it is frickin bullet proof. An STi would own most mustangs from a dig, period. AWD launch > RWD launch > FWD launch. Where the STi looses out is in the 6 speed; it has to shift a little sooner, and if you foul that up, you will get smoked. My WRX will outlaunch my GT, assuming the tranny holds up, (the 02 WRX tranny has been known to be a little weak and susceptable to breakage when launched hard).

re: stock wrx handling - I think it sucks. Now, the AWD is awesome, but my WRX has far more body roll than my 05 GT does. I know it is an easy fix, (new endlinks and maybe f+r sways), but stock for stock, my mustang feels better overall. Does that mean I can take the same corner faster? Nope, but when I take it faster in the WRX, it feels aweful. Maybe I should make an order...

re: BOVs - Terrible first mod to a WRX. Only necessary when you put a new turbo on and intend to run a lot more psi than stock. Most people put it on because they like the sound it makes. Best first mod is a catless downpipe, (and uppipe on 05 WRX and earlier), and some sort of EM, (I went with AccessPort). Makes that baby scream. Blow Off Valve = Show Off Valve. This isn't your daddy's honda...

re: Comparing the two - Why not? Why is it two different crowds? I'm not two different people, and I love them both. They both have thier good points and bad. My WRX was far more comfortable than my 99 Cobra, but not as comfy as my 05 GT. My GT has trouble keeping the rain off my head, (where did that damned roof go?) and it SUCKS in the snow. Good thing I have my lil AWD buddy...

Old 06-03-2006, 10:19 AM
dtuna42
1st Gear Member

If I could afford a personal car fleet, I'd have a WRX (and/or STi) in there somewhere. I like them. And I would think that the Mustang vs. WRX comp is a pretty good one. They're raced on the same circuits in some situations, and once you start mod'ing a car, it's more about making the right choices than it is about platforms. You can make the Mustang handle better than a Subaru and you can make a Subaru out-accelerate a Mustang. Depends on what you do to them. Personally I think it's a good comp, because you're taking two different formats and trying to accomplish the same goal. When you compare things like Mustangs to (the MIA) Camaro, you're just comparing different looks and different name brands of basically the same thing: rear wheel drive, front engine, V8, going straight fast. And the STi vs. Evo VIII comp is just comparing two small AWD sedans running around a road course. Not much to compare because you're just comparing two nearly identical cars going for the same goal, which is kinda boring. When you're comparing a WRX (or STi) vs. a Mustang, you're also comparing the ideals of Boxer-type inline 4 cylinder engines vs. V8 engines, forced induction vs. natural aspiration, all wheel drive vs. rear wheel drive, etc. There's a lot more thinking and engineering added to the equation. Two totally different philosophies aimed for the same goal, fighting it out. Sounds a bit more interesting to me, so I say keep it going.

My opinon, as always, is brought to you free of charge today and totally worthless. You may even want the two minutes of your life back once you're done reading this.
Old 06-03-2006, 01:14 PM
davemurray
1st Gear Member

The term BPU is used by tuners, racers for a long time!
Also you will see BPU+ and BPU ++ its used on all modded cars.
One of the reasons I really like mustang and subaru besides performance is that loosing against another performance car makes you want to keep modding it and therefore become a better driver. I could say we were 4 people in the car against a V8 with two people, but that would be just an excuse, he beated me off the line and kept pulling.
I'm just tired of kids in hondas getting beaten by mustangs, wrx's, vette's etc and ALWAYS having an excuse of loosing by 10 bus lenghts. If I loose, so what? that makes me be better and loosing against a 2006 stang is not a shame.
Let's see what happens next round after stage 2.
Old 06-03-2006, 01:14 PM
Hiboost
2nd Gear Member

I have had Turbo Supras and a WRX, sorry you haven't been around to hear BPU...

The Recirc Valve on the WRX WILL NOT hold more boost unless modified. I simply stated that above....It actually has a stiffer spring than the STi valve. The difference is that the reference pressure for the WRX valve comes from the pressure in the intercooler. If you cap that off and drill a hole to use the atmosphere as the reference, you will have the best setup.

I do agree that the stock setup on the WRX stinks. All that is needed is a rear sway bar and it becomes a great car. I also had the STOCK STi suspension. I have began adding parts to the Mustang and the same parts do not equal the same results.

Maybe BPU started with the fast cars, like the Supras.

The WRX started getting the Import companies to build performance cars again, and the Mustang seems to be doing the same for American(Canada and Mexico) manufacturers.

They both will have their place in history. Death to the SUV....it will never kill the sportscar...
Old 06-03-2006, 01:36 PM
davemurray
1st Gear Member

I agree with you HiBoost the wrx came to the american market and gave a lot of headaches to the car companies, after all for some reason the neon srt-4 came out, to compete against the wrx. I always wanted to see the focus RS on the streets but that never happened.
Old 06-03-2006, 02:49 PM
Herknav
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: davemurray

The term BPU is used by tuners, racers for a long time!
Also you will see BPU+ and BPU ++ its used on all modded cars.
ORIGINAL: Hiboost

I have had Turbo Supras and a WRX, sorry you haven't been around to hear BPU...
It must be a FWD import term then. I have *never* seen it used in conjunction with the WRX on any forum I visit, not to mention domestically. I have never seen it in any Mustang magazine, and I have never looked very hard in a import tuner type mag, (as theygenerally don't have articles that interest me)

ORIGINAL: Hiboost

BPU goes for turbo cars and usually consists of: Turbo back exhaust, upgraded intercooler, better BOV or recirc valve(if the stock has a weak spring), and an intake.
This is probably why I havn't heard it. A catless TBE on an otherwise stock WRX doesn't need a new intercooler, bov, or intake. It gets good gains from EM though.

dtuna42 - I'm not nitpicking, but the WRX engine isn't inline, it is horizontally opposed.
Old 06-03-2006, 04:04 PM
Remrats1234
3rd Gear Member

an import driver admitting defeat in a mustang chat room.....thats rare to say the least
Old 06-03-2006, 04:24 PM
Hiboost
2nd Gear Member

I am not trying to say anything about anyone's intelligence, but a SUPRA is RWD.
Old 06-03-2006, 04:43 PM
davemurray
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Remrats1234

an import driver admitting defeat in a mustang chat room.....thats rare to say the least
I guess not all import drivers are the same or all domestic are either.
I also own a 1989 GT and love it, after 200,000 miles it's still alive and powerfull what other car could achieve that?
Most of subaru owners aren't ricers like most honda owners, we do have respect for muscle cars, like I said before if we get beaten just move on and keep moding your car until yours is faster. I'm just really happy my little 2.0 turbocharged car can be that close to a 4.6 V8. I've beaten camaros, evos etc but that one surprised me.
I told most of my friends and they all agree those 2006 mustangs are good and guess what..... they ALL have imports s2000, evo IX, rx8 etc.
Being close minded and believing any car is the best just because it was made in a specific country is just dumb. Mine may handle better or have a better mpg than a GT but he'll kill me top end. Can't have it all.

Old 06-03-2006, 04:45 PM
Sonic Boom NH
2nd Gear Member

Easy principle to remember:

Once you begin to modify any vehicle it is no longer stock and no longer eligible to be compared to any other vehicle.

Once you modify its all about who has the most money…

Quick Reply: 2006 GT vs 2005 wrx bpu