Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Just got back from the dealer (5K service)

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2006, 01:26 PM
dkano
3rd Gear Member

Default Just got back from the dealer (5K service)

I was getting tired of the posts saying some members were removing their new CAIs and putting the stock tune in when they took their cars in for service. I had a CAI on my 02 300M and never had a problem when I took it in for service. I didn't remove anything, even left the tuner in the back seat. Got to the service department for Able Ford (in Oceanside, NY), the guys there were cool, loved the car, even another lady that was there with her 06 silver GT got out of her car went to talk to me about my car. They all loved the Borlas by the way, I was surprised the lady liked them 'cause she's probably in her 50s, she was very nice though. Very positive experience all around, I was outta there in about an hour.

Oh, I was talking to one of the guys at the counter and he told me they had a 05+ Mustang getting some work done, the owner put a nitrous kit in it and the car wouldn't even get out of 1st gear! I guess you should be ok with nitrous if you can get a good installer and don't go crazy with it, just not something I would do to my car.
Old 06-03-2006, 02:56 PM
yur1279
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: Just got back from the dealer (5K service)

So they didn't day anythign about the CAI, ect?
Old 06-03-2006, 03:58 PM
MikeHawke
Retired MF Moderator

You were only in for service. Wait till you have a problem and then see what they say.

You might be still get lucky and have one of the "good" dealers who will choose to look the other way but not everyone can count on that happening.
Old 06-03-2006, 06:52 PM
dtuna42
1st Gear Member

It's actually illegal for a manufacturer to not honor a warranty due to a bolt on enhancement purchased from another business. The only way a modification can void a warranty is if/when the part you put in actually caused damage to something else. in that case, only the part(s) actually damaged by the bolt on part would not be covered. There must be cause proven to be voided. If you put on a CAI and your transmission fails, there's no connection, so your tranny should be covered. They must honor the warranty. This doesn't mean you won't find dealers that are jerks and will look to find any reason to screw with you. And of course Ford probably hassles them to look for signs that people are "racing", which can void your warranty. Typical bolt ons are usually not a problem. If you're encountering problems, I suggest looking for another dealer. I've been buying cars from the same dealer for years, and they (so far anyway) have always treated me well. You're always better off if they consider you a loyal customer.

If you want more information on the law, search for Magnusson-Moss Act. Hopefully I spelled that correctly. If you ever need to use this info, it's probably better not to go in kicking, screaming, and citing the Magnusson-Moss act, but rather sit down with the service manager (or if he's a jerk, and you're a good returning customer, go over his head to the General Sales Manager, because he probably doesn't want to lose your business over a warranty repair) and explain calmly how your simple bolt on had nothing to do with the failure of something totally unrelated. And NEVER say that you put stuff on to make it FASTER, and never talk about "racing". You just say you like the sound better, or wanted a more efficiantly running car, or better mileage, etc.

Also, within the past few months, Muscle Mustangs and Fast Fords had a big article on this. You may be able to look it up through them.

One more thing - I am not stating that I know for sure how this law applies to computerized engine management changes. Since tuning is just a minute or two, it just might be better to put the stock tune back in if you have engine or tranny problems and you don't trust your dealership. Maybe someone else can chime in on this part. I definately would not (and never have) take apart my bolt ons for warranty work.

Hopethis helps.
Old 06-03-2006, 07:56 PM
dkano
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: yur1279

So they didn't day anythign about the CAI, ect?
Nope, one of the guys came out with my keys, told me the car was ready, took me to the cashier thingy and told the lady to give me my receipt. All young guys there too, the one that took my car when I came in was asking me about the Pioneer nav system I have, 'cause he's thinking about getting one. I was actually surprised how quick I was outta there, the other lady with the 06 GT got there before me, she was also just getting an oil change, I think she said she had like 1700 miles on it, but mine was ready before hers. By the way, do they wash our cars when we take them in for service? Sure seemed like they did to mine. Don't remember my 300M being washed at Chrysler!

But like dtuna said, it's just illegal for them to give you a hard time about a bolt on unless they can prove it caused a problem.
Old 06-03-2006, 08:12 PM
MikeHawke
Retired MF Moderator

ORIGINAL: dtuna42

It's actually illegal for a manufacturer to not honor a warranty due to a bolt on enhancement purchased from another business. The only way a modification can void a warranty is if/when the part you put in actually caused damage to something else. in that case, only the part(s) actually damaged by the bolt on part would not be covered. There must be cause proven to be voided. If you put on a CAI and your transmission fails, there's no connection, so your tranny should be covered. They must honor the warranty. This doesn't mean you won't find dealers that are jerks and will look to find any reason to screw with you. And of course Ford probably hassles them to look for signs that people are "racing", which can void your warranty. Typical bolt ons are usually not a problem. If you're encountering problems, I suggest looking for another dealer. I've been buying cars from the same dealer for years, and they (so far anyway) have always treated me well. You're always better off if they consider you a loyal customer.

If you want more information on the law, search for Magnusson-Moss Act. Hopefully I spelled that correctly. If you ever need to use this info, it's probably better not to go in kicking, screaming, and citing the Magnusson-Moss act, but rather sit down with the service manager (or if he's a jerk, and you're a good returning customer, go over his head to the General Sales Manager, because he probably doesn't want to lose your business over a warranty repair) and explain calmly how your simple bolt on had nothing to do with the failure of something totally unrelated. And NEVER say that you put stuff on to make it FASTER, and never talk about "racing". You just say you like the sound better, or wanted a more efficiantly running car, or better mileage, etc.

Also, within the past few months, Muscle Mustangs and Fast Fords had a big article on this. You may be able to look it up through them.

One more thing - I am not stating that I know for sure how this law applies to computerized engine management changes. Since tuning is just a minute or two, it just might be better to put the stock tune back in if you have engine or tranny problems and you don't trust your dealership. Maybe someone else can chime in on this part. I definately would not (and never have) take apart my bolt ons for warranty work.

Hopethis helps.
I'm certainly NOT trying to tell you what to do. It's your car and you might have a good relationship with the dealer and you may never run into any problems.

HOWEVER, when you make a thread because........
ORIGINAL: dkano

I was getting tired of the posts saying some members were removing their new CAIs and putting the stock tune in when they took their cars in for service.
and make comments like......

ORIGINAL: dkano
I guess you should be ok with nitrous if you can get a good installer and don't go crazy with it, just not something I would do to my car.
I am obligated to let the members know that is not necessarily the case.

We have been through the magnusson moss act a thousand times. MM&FF even did an article on it last month. There are even a few threads here where people have tried that approach. It just doesn't seem to work and you can end up with your warranty voided in Ford's computer so that no Dealer will touch it. Sure, you can go ahead and take them to court but that's expensive and time consuming and there is no guarantee that you will win.

My point was simply that the dealer CAN tell you to go fly a kite if have done ANYTHING to the car. Not all of them will do that, but it does happen.

I'm glad you have not had any problems yet and I hope you never do, but there ARE people who have had problems with their warranty due to simple mods.

My point is that if you want to go ahead and mod your car, that's great but don't count on the Dealer honoring your warranty because it just might not happen.
Old 06-03-2006, 09:21 PM
olym4gery
1st Gear Member

Yes a Ford service manager, dealer manger, dealer owner, etc. can go tell you to XXXXX.

But you can also have a talk with, or send someting in writing, to the Ford Regional rep........................

I suspect the Ford dealers will rather have customers pay for work than Ford. The billing is easier, and at a higher rate from the customer.
Old 06-03-2006, 10:44 PM
BLACK06GT4ME
2nd Gear Member

This horse is glue.
Old 06-03-2006, 11:48 PM
steve vercolio

It"s a whole new ballgame now fella"s. Ford just came out with DRAG-PACKS, if you read the part where it say"s only if the manufacturer doesn"t offer the same part.Guess what"s in the new packages- a tuner,headers,air-intake system, It won"t be long, and everything out there will be avail. at your local Ford dealer,and guess what happens if they see other companies stuff on your car when some thing is wrong with it?
Old 06-04-2006, 01:42 AM
MikeVistaBlue06
I ♥ Acer

Interesting! I traded a 1999 dark charcoal 300M in for my Bluebonnet. It was a good car, but I hate 4 door cars and they didn't have a dark blue color....problem solved with Bluebonnet!!

Quick Reply: Just got back from the dealer (5K service)