Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

serious question

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2006, 01:58 AM
8URWS6
2nd Gear Member

Default serious question

How many Mustang owners here have noticed that thier engines smoke when you start it up?
What color smoke have you noticed it to be?

I ask because of what my dealer has told me about mine. My Mustang smokes blue for about three or four seconds after I start it up in the morning. Please help, I feel like I'm losing my mind, that couldn't be normal. If it were black I could understand.
Old 06-04-2006, 02:24 AM
Shadowhax
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: serious question

Uhmm usuall blueish smoke can mean a cylinder is burning.....does it only happen when you first start up?
Old 06-04-2006, 02:26 AM
JT_Moore05
2nd Gear Member

umm, mine doesnt smoke at all. Especially not Blue smoke
Old 06-04-2006, 02:45 AM
Rt1Rebel
3rd Gear Member

I hadn't noticed. But thanks for giving me something to worry about.
Old 06-04-2006, 03:53 AM
8URWS6
2nd Gear Member

I'm sorry, I didn't post this to get you worried about your Mustang.
I use to be a Ford technician and I built many of Ford engines. I bought this Mustang about three months ago and when I bought it, it didn't smoke, now it does. I haven't been hard on it or anything like that, I just don't drive it much. The car has 2300 miles on it and we've had it for three months.

I know that blue smoke means that oil is burning, black smoke is fuel and white mist is anitfreeze/water.....right?
And I've started to notice that it is about a half a quart low on the dipstick.
Old 06-04-2006, 04:08 AM
Rt1Rebel
3rd Gear Member

Well, you are certainly well credentialed, so I appreciate the heads up. This thread may turn something up.

Maybe the fact that you don't drive it much has something to do with it?
Old 06-04-2006, 09:11 AM
BeeStang
3rd Gear Member

None here either, and I do run her hard. That doesn't sound good. Could it be just the condensation being exhaled at startup? If it's humid or just a little cool, mine will puff for a second or two and go away. White in color, like in the dead of winter. Also, I have a tune and may be a little fuel burn off during initial startup.
Old 06-04-2006, 09:28 AM
BigDave
3rd Gear Member

White is usually condensation, or a by-product of the catalytic conversion. Remember, complete conversion of gas =H2O + CO2. Once the exhaust pipes warm up, water is vaporized and you don't see it any more...but it is always there.
rub your finger inside the tailpipe. If it comes out real sooty you are probably rich, if greasy, oil may be involved.
Old 06-04-2006, 10:44 AM
Sonic Boom NH
2nd Gear Member

Don’t know if this is relevant to Mustangs (4.6 motors) but I had owned a 2003 Lightning (5.4 motor with supercharger) and didn’t drive it much. It generally would smoke when first starting (whitish/blue) for about 30 seconds or so.

Many other Lightning owners, who did not drive their trucks often, or let them sit sometimes for a week or so, would report the same thing. Some of the tuners for Lightning’s and those who also built performance motors for the Lightning’s had stated it was perfectly normal to see smoke at first start up and that is was because some oil may have dripped or leaked past the values (open values) when sitting for a while.

Saying that I can also say I never saw any oil consumption, no oil in the coolant etc and had absolutely no problems.

Another thing to remember is with newer vehicles as in the past 10 years or so your really can’t tell much by the tell-tell signs of the exhaust pipes. It use to be considered that if you had a grayish color your motor was running efficiently and a black sooty color was you were running rich.

Now, or in the past 10 years or so a black sooty color in the exhaust pipes is considered normal as it has to do with how the fuel is manufactured and how the vehicle is designed to run.

About the only way now to tell if your motor is running efficiently, lean, or rich is to read the actual spark plugs themselves.
Old 06-04-2006, 03:34 PM
8URWS6
2nd Gear Member

so it can be considered normal for these engines to smoke blue after startup. It does have a lot of condinsation blowing out a second or two after the smoke goes away.

ORIGINAL: Sonic Boom NH

Don’t know if this is relevant to Mustangs (4.6 motors) but I had owned a 2003 Lightning (5.4 motor with supercharger) and didn’t drive it much. It generally would smoke when first starting (whitish/blue) for about 30 seconds or so.

Many other Lightning owners, who did not drive their trucks often, or let them sit sometimes for a week or so, would report the same thing. Some of the tuners for Lightning’s and those who also built performance motors for the Lightning’s had stated it was perfectly normal to see smoke at first start up and that is was because some oil may have dripped or leaked past the values (open values) when sitting for a while.

Saying that I can also say I never saw any oil consumption, no oil in the coolant etc and had absolutely no problems.

Another thing to remember is with newer vehicles as in the past 10 years or so your really can’t tell much by the tell-tell signs of the exhaust pipes. It use to be considered that if you had a grayish color your motor was running efficiently and a black sooty color was you were running rich.

Now, or in the past 10 years or so a black sooty color in the exhaust pipes is considered normal as it has to do with how the fuel is manufactured and how the vehicle is designed to run.

About the only way now to tell if your motor is running efficiently, lean, or rich is to read the actual spark plugs themselves.

Quick Reply: serious question