Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

sound deadening

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2006, 12:19 AM
CrazyAl
5th Gear Member

Default RE: sound deadening

OK, I have done my ENTIRE car.

I stripped out the all the trunk items, plastic, all the interior trim, front and rear seats, carpet, etc, down to bare metal. I used SecondSkin Audio Damplifier pro and Spectrum (spray-on liquid).

Improvement is definatley worthwhile. Read about my project here:

http://www.secondskinaudio.com/forum...ead.php?t=1199

For what it's worth, Dynamat works well but it is VERY overpriced. Many of the newer products are just as good, if not better, and are less expensive. Look here for a review:
http://www.sounddeadenershowdown.com/

This guy tested various brands of dampener and tells you which brands came out on top.

The moisture barrier in the doors is easily removed. Just get the electrical connectors out of the way and peel off the plastic sheet. It is very thick and won't tear. The adhesive will come off with the plastic and will stay tacky. You can just stick it back on when you're done.
Old 06-05-2006, 12:23 AM
06GT4RAD
5th Gear Member

Well guys i am going to say to stay away from Fatmat. Not sure what is going on with them but let me explain a little. I have my truck done entirely with the Fatmat and the results were great. So since i decided to do the Mustang i figured i would get the thicker version they sell called Rattle Trap and placed an order last month. Well here we are one month later and numerous phone calls and emails to fatmat and still nothing. I finally had to file a claim with paypal and my bank to try and get my money back. Not sure what the heck is going on with them but somthing is obviously wrong. So i went with this brand instead and it is very nice and about the same cost.

http://www.raamaudio.com/cgi-bin/index.cgi

Richard

Old 06-05-2006, 12:24 AM
Maineiac
1st Gear Member

If anything, Dynamat your doors. Pull off the plastic and stick the material onto the inside of each door. Makes a huge difference!
Old 06-05-2006, 12:28 AM
viking396
5th Gear Member

So let me get this right, people are buying a new hot rod, then trying to make it as quiet as a Lexus???? Easy fix here, sell the car with the rumbling V8 and buy the superstuffed quiet Lexus, problem solved.

Since when is it supposed to be super quiet in a Mustang? I think Ford did a very good job on the new ones, or is this for the stereo system.... or maybe I'm 'ol fashion and like hearing the exhaust and such....
Old 06-05-2006, 01:13 AM
CrazyAl
5th Gear Member

Belive me, even with all the "mat" in the world, you can't kill the sound of the exhaust.

For me, the primary goal was to improve the sound of the stereo. Years of competition stereo building has taught me that one of the things that seperates the excellent sounding cars from the "ok" sounding cars is the quality of the background noise control. Deadening the car, IMHO, is the #1 step to better sound and is more important than aftermarket speakers, fancy head units, or amps/subs/etc.

Furthermore, I am planning on switching to some lower-profile tires and some stiffer suspension parts in the near future. These things are known to increase road noise. I elected to perform the sound deadening first, so that even with my performance suspension mods, the car is comfortable to ride in for long trips.

Currently my car is quiet when crusing--no drone (thanks to my customized exhaust) and very low road noise. But, when the pedal goes down, it's loud and there's no doubt it's American Muscle. That's exactly what I wanted, and the sound treatment helped me get there.
Old 06-05-2006, 01:22 AM
dave186

CrazyAl, thanks for the tip thats what i needed to know. hopefully i can get to it sometime this week or next weekend.
Old 06-05-2006, 01:33 AM
rebelyell06
2nd Gear Member

Why would you want to lower the noise in the cab. Thats the one of the greatest joys of a sports car imo. I love the sound of all thats going on in my stang.
Old 06-05-2006, 01:43 AM
bl1nk
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: CrazyAl

OK, I have done my ENTIRE car.

I stripped out the all the trunk items, plastic, all the interior trim, front and rear seats, carpet, etc, down to bare metal. I used SecondSkin Audio Damplifier pro and Spectrum (spray-on liquid).

Improvement is definatley worthwhile. Read about my project here:

http://www.secondskinaudio.com/forum...ead.php?t=1199

For what it's worth, Dynamat works well but it is VERY overpriced. Many of the newer products are just as good, if not better, and are less expensive. Look here for a review:
http://www.sounddeadenershowdown.com/

This guy tested various brands of dampener and tells you which brands came out on top.

The moisture barrier in the doors is easily removed. Just get the electrical connectors out of the way and peel off the plastic sheet. It is very thick and won't tear. The adhesive will come off with the plastic and will stay tacky. You can just stick it back on when you're done.
Alright, I agree that Dynamat is overpriced... but I dont know, sometimes It just makes me feel better to pay a little more and get a product that I KNOW is going to work than to get something that is "supposed to be as good" and then do all that work to find out its total ****... just my opinion..
Old 06-05-2006, 10:11 AM
CrazyAl
5th Gear Member

I love the sound of the exhaust of my car. There's nothing like stomping on the pedal and feeling the motor push me back in the seat, accompanied by the roar of the pipes. But, when I'm taking a long trip or crusing around with the family, it's not such a good thing. For me, the ability to take non-fatiguing crusies was important, and the deadening helps that a lot.

I also enjoy listening to music while I drive, and music sounds 10X better with "road noise" removed. Like I said, I consider it the most important mod that you can do to enhance the sound of your stereo. It's not as "cool" as slapping in a box loaded with big subs, or buying a fancy new head unit. But it is the biggest "bang for your buck" in making the system sound good.

As for the Dynamat, I used to use it in my old installs. Yes, it works. I tried the SecondSkin stuff based on a magazine review and many on-line reviews, and the head-to-head tests documented on that website I linked earlier. I am more than satisfied. It cost me less money than Dynamat (by far), the customer service from the company was FANTASTIC. They even gave me some extra product becasue they weren't able to ship my order the same day I ordered it! I wasn't able to perform any scientific testing of which mat worked the best, but based on the "knock test", the SecondSkin Damplifier Pro seems to work better than Dynamat Xtreme (what I used to use). I will not be switching back to Dynamat.