Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

6000 miles on the odo, my impressions so far

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2006, 07:08 PM
torch red
4th Gear Member

Default RE: 6000 miles on the odo, my impressions so far

If any body knows---and most of us do---the IRS is a terrible idea..

just go ask 03-04 Cobra owners who switched it out for a solid axle..

My last Mustang was a 91 GT..this one feels like a Cadillac compared to that one...
Old 06-05-2006, 07:41 PM
ren274u
3rd Gear Member

no problems with mine so far
Old 06-05-2006, 07:42 PM
legend gt
1st Gear Member

racefiend: what the H do you think you were buyin? a Lexus?bmw? C'mon get real.A pony car is a pony car! I will tell you this,change the rear springs (lower) and it will ride much better on bumps ,potholes etc..The stock springs are junk.I do agree with the drive by wire set-up.,it's bad!......Just think ,you could have paid 38-40k for a GTO??? and as far as these"problems"....you do have a warranty ,right?
Old 06-05-2006, 08:32 PM
edlong

I've never had a car with a solid rear axel before. On some roads that I never considered 'bumpy', the back end is all over the place! I thought there may have been some new potholes, but I don't notice them with the 'other' car. I'm hoping the Eibach Pro-Springs help the ride out. I'm not complaining, I just want to keep the horsepower on the road!

Old 06-05-2006, 08:37 PM
bl1nk
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: AirborneCZ

only did 300 miles so far so I will let you know after next 2700

but I must dtto your statement about solid rear axle on bad roads already
Ford did this purposely to get rid of the HORRIBLE wheel hop problems the cobras had...
Old 06-05-2006, 08:45 PM
BLACK06GT4ME
2nd Gear Member

B1tch, B1tch, B1tch. Get some cheese to go with your whine. Didn't you test drive it. It's the same car you drove off the lot.
Old 06-05-2006, 08:50 PM
GM Supercar
1st Gear Member

Perfect panel gaps on my 06 GT too - but I only have 25.9 miles on mine.
Old 06-05-2006, 09:13 PM
gregt909
2nd Gear Member

Ok, I'm putting on my flame suit but here it is. I agree the Mustang could have been built with some more quality in mind. The cheap plastic, the clunking front end no one can fix, the marginal stock radio. But hey. it's a 300 HP car for 26+K. Not bad. Would I have done differently after 3K miles? Nope! I love the rumble, the acceleration, not to mention the looks of the car. JMO
Old 06-05-2006, 09:18 PM
Riven02
4th Gear Member

I have heard multiple people complain about the AC now and I dont understand. I live in Texas and it has been VERY hot lately and My stang has the best AC I have ever used in a car. No matter the temp or the speed it will freeze you............. Most of the other cars I have owned didnt really cool worth a damn untill you got them out on the highway.

I seem to have perfect panel gaps, and for a stock car......plenty of power. I could always use more but this car is one hell of a starting point.

The blinker noise is strange. Not sure why they wanted to change what has worked for 60+ years. Not a big deal though.
Old 06-05-2006, 11:25 PM
Racefiend
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: jt14894

No major issues to complain about here.
The gas tank filling problem only lasted about a few weeks after I first got the car. It has only done it a few times in the last 8 or 9 months, but all I do is turn the nozzle upside down and it fills up fine.
I've had mine since July 05 and it had 6800 miles just before I went on a road trip to Tennessee, a week ago. Now, it has just over 8500 miles and didn't have any issues during the trip.
It averaged just over 27 MPG throughout the whole trip.
Hmm, my tank continues to be a problem. I normally fill up upside down also, but I will randomly try it normally to see if it went away. No dice. 27mpg is pretty good! The best I got on my trip was 25. What average MPH did you drive?

ORIGINAL: rebelyell06

I've learned to only use real cd's in some slots and burned ones in others. I find that slots 4-6 don't like burnt cd's on mine, but 1-3 tend to play them a bit more decently. Other then these problems I absolutely love the car. Like what has already been mentioned, these problems can be fixed and its not that hard to do so.
Interesting. I will have to mess around with slot placement.
ORIGINAL: 05SDI

We have 13,000 miles on our '06 Yellow Vert GT. It's 8 months old today, and it's NOT our daily driver!

Likes;
Convertible in Alaska you ask! Yes and if this is how nice convertibles are I see no reason for our 'fun' car to ever not be a convertible. Drove it in -32 degrees (F) and was toasty warm with heater on a little over mid way on temp and #2 on fan. (on another note we have never turned the A/C on lol!)

Dislikes;
I don't like the antilock brakes and TCS defaulting and turning itself off when driving aggresively during the winter. (I have yet to have it happen during summer) TO reset and have anti-lock and TCS back it seems you have to stop and Shut off the car for about 10 mins or so.
You have got more ***** than I do driving that vert in -32!
TCS and ABS turning itself off on its own? Havent run into that one. Sounds like something might be wrong. You'd think in bad weather is when you would want them working.

ORIGINAL: Nadelle

AAAAAHHHHH STFU.....JESUS BUY A BMW YOU SPOILED BASTARD [sm=sorry.gif]

0-60 in 4.9 sec isnt fast enough for ya?

yeah...too bad i gues my focus is better than your stang !
I never said it was not fast. I guess fast is a relative term. If you go from a Lamborghini Diablo to a mustang, it would be slow. Go from a Hunday Scoupe to a Mustang, and it would be fast.

ORIGINAL: torch red

If any body knows---and most of us do---the IRS is a terrible idea..

just go ask 03-04 Cobra owners who switched it out for a solid axle..

My last Mustang was a 91 GT..this one feels like a Cadillac compared to that one...
Solid axle is great for drag racing. And that's what most of those Cobra owners care about. However, for most other motorsports and real world driving, you can't beat IRS.

ORIGINAL: legend gt

racefiend: what the H do you think you were buyin? a Lexus?bmw? C'mon get real.A pony car is a pony car! I will tell you this,change the rear springs (lower) and it will ride much better on bumps ,potholes etc..The stock springs are junk.I do agree with the drive by wire set-up.,it's bad!......Just think ,you could have paid 38-40k for a GTO??? and as far as these"problems"....you do have a warranty ,right?
No, I was thinking I was buying something like my old TBird (which was a helluva car), but 15 years more modernized. I hope new springs do alleviate the issue some. I plan on getting the Roush suspension for the car. And as far as warranty goes, there are no fixes for any of the actual problems (like telling me to go to a different gas station when I brought up the gas tank issue). The rest are just dislikes.
ORIGINAL: GM Supercar

Perfect panel gaps on my 06 GT too - but I only have 25.9 miles on mine.
Maybe it's 6000 miles of wind resistance that caused my out of whack seams LOL

And for those of you getting mad that there are things that I don't like, I'm sorry if I'm ruining the reputation of your mighty mustang. I'm only giving my thoughts on the car after 6000 miles of driving it. THere's going to be some good, and there's going to be some bad. Are you telling me you like EVERYTHING about your car? This may help someone deciding on a mustang to know it's strengths/weaknesses before buying. This doesn't mean I don't like my car. Quite the contrary. I knew of some of these problems getting into this, and I decided I could live with/fix them. When I bought this car I chose the lesser of the evils of what fit into the kind of car I wanted. I don't like new cars (but needed one) because of all of the intrusive "technology" built in to them, and the Mustang is the one I could live with the most.

Quick Reply: 6000 miles on the odo, my impressions so far