Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

6000 miles on the odo, my impressions so far

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2006, 11:48 PM
dtuna42
1st Gear Member

Default RE: 6000 miles on the odo, my impressions so far

Maybe that car was built on a Monday after the guys were out partying all weekend?

And the IRS was considered but left out due to: 1) Polls to past Mustang owners who by and large spoke out against it, 2) Cost. Your almost $30k car would be almost $35k with IRS, and 3) Live axle is MUCH better suited for a Pony Car / Muscle Car. IRS can only handle so many drop clutch launches, and people with muscle cars do a lot more drag racing than road racing. Besides, if you've ever owned any quad shocked old Mustangs, you'd really LOVE thi new live axle design.

But I have to agree, heated seats and mirrors would be worth any price in the Northeast, and yes, that stupid low fuel reminder is a pest. The throttle-by-wire really sucks, too. It should have been left in Lincolns with the IRS. But I can happily say that the Xcalibrator defeated most of the throttle problems.

Over all, this is our favorite car we've ever bought, and we've had a few good ones: 78 280ZX, 97 300ZX, 87 LX 5.0 Notchback, 93 SVT Cobra, 97 Subaru Legacy GT, 02 GT Convertible, 02 Lincoln LS V8 Sport, 04 SVT Focus, plus a full size Bronco and three Explorers. This is a great car overall. Don't nitpick it too much. If you look for things to complain about, you'll find them. If you just go ahead and have some fun, you'll catch yourself smiling more often than not.
Old 06-05-2006, 11:50 PM
olym4gery
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Riven02

I have heard multiple people complain about the AC now and I dont understand. I live in Texas and it has been VERY hot lately and My stang has the best AC I have ever used in a car. No matter the temp or the speed it will freeze you............. Most of the other cars I have owned didnt really cool worth a damn untill you got them out on the highway.

The blinker noise is strange. Not sure why they wanted to change what has worked for 60+ years. Not a big deal though.
I wonder if they aren't hitting the recirc, or Max A/C setting.....................

Blinkers are now computer controlled, they make no sound by themselves. The click-click is actually added to make people remember they are on. After about 50-60 clicks it will go "blink-HONK-blink-HONK". So few Mustangs should be signalling a turn around the world.
Old 06-06-2006, 01:07 AM
Riven02
4th Gear Member

I went out and turned my blinker on and let it run for about 10 min and it never honked at me. the sound never changed............Did you trick me into sitting in my garage for 15 min watching my blinker??????? lol
Old 06-06-2006, 01:51 AM
classj
4th Gear Member

I have had my 06 GT for about a month. Overall, damn nice car. A blast to drive. On the ride home from the dealership in the pouring rain I knew I was in love.

Throttle isnt too bad, could be sharper though. I have gotten used to the tach not dropping between shifts, I think that is more of a precaution to save the cats from being fouled by a rich mixture and overheating, maybe.

Is the throttle as nice as the carburated cars I have, no. But decent compared to others. Have you test driven a VW toureg or BMW X5. That is what a bad throttle lag is from drive by wire. Nasty.

Seats are great, seat belts could be height adjustable. Solid rear axel is simply best I have ever driven compared to 60's GM and mopar. Whenever you add stiff shocks/springs to a solid rear you get hop over bumps. They did a great job. Minimal wheel hop on launch, great handling. Remember how ford was trashed by every white glove car magazine to install a IRS in the last cobra. Then when they finally did, they bashed the hell out of them because the car did not launch like before and had wheel hop nightmares.

Car is fast, could be faster. Exhaust is what I consider perfect for a factory system that has to please everybody. Could be a touch louder for my taste.

AC froze my butt off the other day in 95 degree heat and 90% humidity. Interior to me is worlds better looking with the IUP and leather than the vette or any older mustang. As nice as a 50K dollar BMW or Porsche, no, but pretty damn nice.

As far as thickness of metal, the car is larger than a BMW M3 by quite a bit, and has a V8. And still manages to be the same weight. I aint complaining as long as it is safe which according to tests it is.

Panal gaps and paint finish are better than alot of other american cars I have seen latley. Near perfect.

Knock on wood, the shaker 500 has been fine. No problems but I havent played any MP3s or burnt disks. Could have slightly better midrange. If I paid 1200 for the shaker 1000 and it sounded like that I would be pissed. But considering I didnt, and speakers should help a bit, I am happy. Besides, there is always aftermarket. But the dash really looks nice and clean with the factory head.

Fueling problem only happened once. Now that I know how to fill it, I get it right to the top every time without spilling.

I would rather have guages with no numbers than idiot lights, but that is me. Numbers would be great, but some manufactures stopped doing that for a reason. They were sick of getting complaints and questions from people that throught they knew about cars and questioned why the guage was here, not there, or where should it be.

Blinker sound is a bit annoying, but minor and just different.

Heated seats would have been nice, but I havent had a car with them yet that didnt need them repaired after 4 years or so. Which requires pulling apart the seats.

A compass would have been nice, but not in the mirror. Can always add that mirror though I guess. Heated mirrors will be missed. I hope the washer jets are heated.

I can probably go on and nitpick all night, but why do it. The car is great, anything that annoys me enough will get addressed. And on other cars, I can probably find more things to not like in other more important areas.
Old 06-06-2006, 12:51 PM
dtuna42
1st Gear Member

Lots of cars come from the factory without aa complete AC charge. The new refrigerant auto makers are using (I forget the name / designation number) is not quite as cold as the old freon, but it works. You're about 10 degrees f. cooler with freon at the duct, like 45f to 55f, and they usually don't consider service necessary until about 60f. If you're blowing hotter than that, you probably just need a recharge. If that doesn't work, you need a pressure guage (just have the dealer service it, I'm just explaining what they do) to make sure the in & out pressures are the same. If the pressure is higher on the input, you may have a clogged screen (filter), whch is easily fixed by disconnecting the line and blowing out the screen, and then reconnect and recharge and you're good. If you just bought the car, the dealer should "fix" this free of charge. If you had the car last summer and this summer it stopped working, they may charge you for a recharge, but a repair would be covered under warranty.

And I like the blinker sound now. A friend got in my car and oddly enough the first compliment was when we made a turn and he said, "it's about time they finally fixed that stupid blinker sound". This is from a Lincoln LS V8 driver, so I guess that meant he was under the impression that thee new sound implied better quality and finish?
Old 06-06-2006, 01:51 PM
Shaybuttainbk
2nd Gear Member

i have 3500 miles on my 06 GT, i thought the car was outta controll fast in my first week of driving, but im used to it now.

shaker 500 sucks a$$, burned cd's skip or dont play and sometimes makes this earbleeding sound which i cant explain

another thing, when i drive sometimes i hear this squeening noise, sounds sorta like styrofoam

i have that weird uneven gap between the hood and the fender on the passenger side

but otherwise its a great car, i get alot of attention when driving in Brooklyn, people stop & stare, & question me at the light "is that a 06?"

i give it a 8 outta 10 because its FAST!!! but not too fast, it looks good on the outside, but..... not enough gadgets on the inside to keep you guessing, & people who dont know cars..... they dont know what it is, it just says GT all over the place dosent have a single Ford badge on it. I Like
Old 06-06-2006, 02:07 PM
LEJAY
I ♥ Acer

Look at the GT Emblem on the rear, do you see FORD ?
Granted there's no Blue Oval, but, indeed it says FORD.
Old 06-06-2006, 02:11 PM
Professor Wizard
MF Moderator

I have 12k on my car.

My issus are:

Coating on my Fog Light Reflectors - still fighting with Ford to replace - Ford says they meet factory specs!

My Drivers Mirror buzzes with the base of my radio and on bumps - I fixed myself, by sticking a piece of foam behind mirror.

AC Can't keep up when it is HOT... Ford says it meets Factory Specs.

Top Squeeks like a banchee when it is down - I'll probably fix myself with silicone when I get around to it. Ford says it meets factory specs.

Drivers rear window sometimes doesn't come all the way up - I found if you just grab it and PULL - it works fine until the next time. Ford Service could not duplicate the problem.

Fit and finish - -- it is "OK".. nothing to be proud of, but hey - it's a Ford, not a BMW. (Even I have learned to lower my standards for a Ford!)

Paint chips way too damn easily!

It is fast enough to get me a ticket without even trying!

Everything else on my car works great, no stereo, gas tank, wheel hop, rattle, pop issues.

I do wish they would make tires you could do burn outs for 100k miles before they are wore out!

Old 06-06-2006, 02:58 PM
Tres Wright
4th Gear Member

I've got 23k on mine. My biggest gripe is the rattles. A secondary gripe is I don't care for the cheapness of the fasteners used (Ford loves those plastic Christmas tree fasteners, don't they?) Other than that it's been a great car; it's very reliable, and great looking. It's made my kids the heroes of their school when their friends see them get out of it in the morning
Old 06-06-2006, 09:39 PM
Nadelle
3rd Gear Member

HA HA HA FU...your still a spoiled BASTERD. if you dont like it and you test drove the car and still bought it, your and idiot (or you have lots of money to waiste on cool toys) well if you hate it so much then you can sell it. sell it to me, but i wont ogive you more than 9k becouse i wanna rip you off.

have a nice day!

Quick Reply: 6000 miles on the odo, my impressions so far