Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Mysterious Shattering Window

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2006, 06:17 PM
Agleon
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: Mysterious Shattering Window

Someone might have thrown a pumpkin at you¿
Old 06-07-2006, 06:17 PM
Rippin n Tarrin
2nd Gear Member

Some Tractor trailers have straps, cables or chains or anything lose hanging from them. If there was it could have been whipping around and hit the window of your car. Just another possible thing that could have blown out a side window.
Old 06-07-2006, 06:32 PM
jtravisbayne

I was on the phone with my wife. I think my exact words were, "Holy sh&@t, my f@&cking window just blew out!"
Old 06-07-2006, 06:33 PM
jtravisbayne

So that's where the punkin' in the back seat came from. I thought I'd left it there by mistake...
Old 06-07-2006, 06:51 PM
jtravisbayne

Well, the dealership says there is no mention in Dearborn about windows shattering for no reason; however, there is one log in their database now... So my insurance is on deck for the glass repair. The glass folks found a Carlite (OEM) window at a dealership in Charlotte, so it should be here by tomorrow at lunch and I should be able to enjoy air conditioning once again by tomorrow evening. The scratches are minimal. The dealer said they could have their body guy take a look at them and likely work them out as a favor. The scratches are just on the clear coat, but I'm sure the folks in this forum can spot a scratch in their paint a mile away, so you can understand why I'd like to have them corrected.

I honestly hope that this was due to debris and not a faulty window. Odds are that it was, but I'll just be damned if I could find the projectile that did it. If it was, it was a one in a million shot and I'm lucky that I don't have some sizable dents in the body. But just to be on the safe side, I'm keeping a lane between me and any big rigs from now on. Cuz if it happens again I'm likely going to need a new pair of pants and driver's seat...[:@]

It does irritate me how the glass shattered though. I know that this type of glass is in every vehicle, but if a person had been sitting in the passenger seat, they would have been hurt pretty bad. This glass broke into pebble sized pieces (probably in case you find yourself under water and need to exit the vehicle) and they are as sharp as hell. I got a few nicks just vacuuming up. I can only imagine what that would have done to someone's eyes or face. On the other hand, I guess I'd prefer being blind in one eye to drowning...

Old 06-07-2006, 07:01 PM
RetiredGeneral
2nd Gear Member

My passenger window blew out last weekend. I wasn't there though... It was parked, and somehow the window exploded... mysteriously my CD's (in the center consel), sunglasses, and owners manual (from the glovebox) were gone. They must have been sucked out the window by a sudden blast of wind or something. I wonder if my dealership will buy my story and replace my window and items?
Probably not. Guess I'm out the $350 for a new window.
Old 06-07-2006, 07:05 PM
austijc
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: jtravisbayne
It does irritate me how the glass shattered though. I know that this type of glass is in every vehicle, but if a person had been sitting in the passenger seat, they would have been hurt pretty bad. This glass broke into pebble sized pieces (probably in case you find yourself under water and need to exit the vehicle) and they are as sharp as hell. I got a few nicks just vacuuming up. I can only imagine what that would have done to someone's eyes or face. On the other hand, I guess I'd prefer being blind in one eye to drowning...
Yea, but those are still a whole lot better than knife like shards. I'd rather get a few cuts and abrasions rather than deep stab wounds. The only other choice is laminated glass like in the windshield. I'm not sure why they don't normally use that in side windows.

Old 06-07-2006, 07:14 PM
LesteR723
5th Gear Member

My guess is either that the window is defective and the air pressure between the big fat non-aerodynamic semi, and your little non-aerodynamic car caused enoguh pressure to implode the deffective window.

More than likely, though, is that a piece of road debris, liek a rock or something of that sort was shot up from under a wheel of a vehicle (probably the semi) and ricochetted off of the glass before it imploded, but caused the damage and after the rock had hit and started to leave the window imploded on you.