Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Out of respect to greg97svt, "Does the GT 500 suck?"

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2006, 08:05 AM
Daniel60
5th Gear Member

Default Out of respect to greg97svt, "Does the GT 500 suck?"

Geezzzzzzzzzzzzzzz
Old 06-12-2006, 08:21 AM
6xStang
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: Out of respect to greg97svt, "Does the GT 500 suck?"

you need to add a selection that says:

"How the heck can anyone know since nobody has driven one?"

If enthusiasts could make such decisions just by reading pre-production reviews by biased journalists in an advertsing-based auto-publishing environment, wow, think of all the money and time we could save......
Old 06-12-2006, 08:33 AM
W1ldcat
3rd Gear Member

To drive the car must be awesome with all that power. It might not just take off stock, but all that wheel spinning power would be a blast.
Heck, I paid $35,870 for my vert with Auto and all options and I would have spent 10K more to get the 500 if it was available at sticker. Which it will be after a while.
Not a good idea to blast my dream car on my favorite forum. I didn't say anything except that I wanted one at the time he posted and now.
WC
Old 06-12-2006, 10:29 AM
McChicken
2nd Gear Member

Question for you guys:

There has been a lot of talk about the weight distrubution on the Shelby, and how it's 60 % front / 40 % back end because of the 5.4 L engine, and how this is so horrible. I am wondering....does this even matter?? And even if you could detect just a hair of a difference in handling, wouldn't you be willing to make that sacrifice for a jump of 200 horses?? I am not too familiar with technical aspects such as this, but it just seems like a dumb thing to complain about, and it's become one of the major talking points for mustang haters. I haven't been into cars for that long but I've never heard anyone say "duuuude check out the sweet weight distrubution on that mustang!!! totally sick!!!!" You want that kind of power, well it's not going to magically appear out of nowhere, right?
Old 06-12-2006, 10:49 AM
olym4gery
1st Gear Member

Yes you will notice the weight distribution, as soon as you turn. Or turn and punch the gas.

4,000 lbs isn't light, it's not really HEAVY. But the distribution is an issue.

I wish they had supercharged an aluminum 4.6, or made a special aluminum 5.4 supercharged motor.

Old 06-12-2006, 11:35 AM
Steve_05GT
1st Gear Member

flame away..........I lived (live? I still have my house there) in Flat Rock MI, 5 mins from the Mustang plant. Last Wednesday morning I met an exec. driving an 07 Shelby. I talked to him for about 20 mins, compared my 05 GT side by side and before he left I got to drive it about 3/4 of a mile up the road and then back. I loved it, better interior, better seats and it still had a pretty crappy feeling shifter. I love my Steeda again after driving the Shelby. Handling I really could not detect much difference at all, but then again I was not cornering or anything.

Would I pay 42-48k fofr tyhe car? Maybe, but I think my car will be faster, better handling and riding when I get my suspension parts ordered, and finally scrape enough $$$ for the supercharger. This WAS a convertable too, FWIW.

If I can figure out how to upload a pic from my phone to my computer I have a few interior/driving/outside shots of it.

Oh, and it pulled like a damn jet from a red light
Old 06-12-2006, 05:06 PM
Birdieman4
5th Gear Member

I drove one, my writeup on it is in the street/strip section. The car needs a diet and a better powerband, ie a better blower (twin screw, not roots) Then Ford would hit the mark with this car.
Old 06-12-2006, 06:16 PM
EmperorOfChicken
5th Gear Member

Not that I do but....I know some one pretty close to me who is buying a 500 for a very reasonable price (considering some are going way over list) Once it arrives, suposidly late july-late august I'll get my hands on it and see what it can do first hand (I'll put some pics up too) I cant wait. Look for future reviews! (FIRST HAND reviews) Like birdie I still believe that sucker needs a better blower but I bet that SOB still hauls some major ***. We will see.
Old 06-12-2006, 07:19 PM
Tres Wright
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Steve_05GT

Oh, and it pulled like a damn jet from a red light
You're supposed to wait until it turns GREEN
Old 06-12-2006, 07:27 PM
Daniel60
5th Gear Member

Birdman would you post a link please?
ORIGINAL: Birdieman4

I drove one, my writeup on it is in the street/strip section. The car needs a diet and a better powerband, ie a better blower (twin screw, not roots) Then Ford would hit the mark with this car.

Quick Reply: Out of respect to greg97svt, "Does the GT 500 suck?"