Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

XM Cable

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2006, 03:23 PM
RGMoose

Default RE: XM Cable

backinblack,Thanks,I have my antenna on the dash now and it cuts out alot. Any reception problems with your location? Thanks again for the info.
Old 06-13-2006, 03:31 PM
backinblack06
3rd Gear Member

no man, the only reception problem i have is that I dont have it hard wired into the headunit. But the unit itself has no problems or ever lost signal once. Just run the wire under the door sill than take the top plate and side panel off in the back where the speaker is and you will see a bundle of wires running back to the trunk. Don't take that one because those turn down under the seats. A little further to the back you will see 2 or 3 wires running upwards through a hole to the trunk. That's the one you want to use. If it stops raining here from alberto ill run outside and take that rear panel off so i can get some pics for you to make it easier to see what i'm talkin about
Old 06-13-2006, 03:58 PM
RGMoose

I know what you mean about wiring to the head unit. I have a hard time getting a clear FM channel sometimes. I think that once I get the antenna out to the rear deck that will solve my problems with the dead spots. I will work on this fix this weekend. Thanks again.
Old 06-13-2006, 10:45 PM
mlcrycc
5th Gear Member

Cowtown,
Thanks for the tip on the remote. I did not know it was IR. Back to the drawing board I guess....

GDZilla95,
No reception problems at all. Three bars all the time. Back window is tinted dark as well......

Mike

Old 06-14-2006, 12:03 AM
Red_Stallion
2nd Gear Member

Has anyone done a header mount for their receiver yet? I want to try this option instead so that everything can be kept clutter free yet you can still have good vision of the songlist.
Old 06-14-2006, 12:50 AM
Red_Stallion
2nd Gear Member

Here's an idea...painted antenna to match, if someone came out with one I'm sure they'd make a killing.
Old 06-14-2006, 02:38 AM
bchoice

I have XM in all my vehicles, can't stand FM. I used the PIE adapter to connect to the AUX port. Also used a switched RCA splitter so I could hook up the MP3 player in addition to the XM. The PIE adapter works great and is WAY better than the FM modulator. I got mine here: http://www.logjamelectronics.com/piefrd04aux.html and the RCA splitter: http://www.logjamelectronics.com/soundaux3.html

I was torn over which XM receiver to get. Too many have power, output, and antenna wires coming out of the units or the base and make for a messy install. I ended up going with the XM Commander from Terk. You can mount the control display unit (one wire) and have the receiver unit behind the dash or under the seat. I got everyting under and beside the Shaker radio (XM receiver, PIE, and RCA Splitter). After trying out many places I attached the display to the pod containing the overhead map lights (see pic). Doesn't mess up the dash or seating area, everyone can see it (my kids change the stations all the time via the remote), and it's hidden from the casual observer. I got it here: http://www.logjamelectronics.com/terkxmcommand.html

Hope this helps anyone thinking of an XM install.

Bill

[IMG]local://upfiles/39993/4CC165FADE8A4FF5910A6C4237F7C6FA.jpg[/IMG]
Old 06-14-2006, 04:17 AM
SDreyer

Sorry I don't have any pics right now, but I have my XM and my Navi in the front corners of my front windshield. You don't even know they are there and the I only have issues with the XM in very small pockets in my area. Overall I'm very happy with where they are.
Old 06-14-2006, 07:41 PM
Cowtown
2nd Gear Member

I'll have to do pics but the only thing I don't like about my XM install using the Pro-fit adapter is sometimes out of the corner of my eye I can see the Roady vibrating which can be a touch annoying. It sticks out a bit but isn't in the way and it is pretty easy to change channels where it's sitting so that's good. I wish there was a RF remote for the Roady though, I'd put it in the same spot as mlcrycc adn mount a cable switch in there and hide both my ipod and XM.
Old 06-14-2006, 09:49 PM
06ragtop
1st Gear Member

RGMoose and Back in Black: Even easier, there is a split in the middle of the seat that goes right into the trunk. It runs horizontally across the entire seat, I just brought my antenna wire through there and tucked it on the side of the seat, then down under the door scuff plated, to the dash (where I zip tied it to some other cables and ran it out to the radio. I posted my process here:

https://mustangforums.com/m_1238595/tm.htm

Quick Reply: XM Cable