Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Those With A Supercharger, PLEASE Respond

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2006, 09:26 AM
zx9rpilot
2nd Gear Member

Default Those With A Supercharger, PLEASE Respond

OK...I am going to get a supercharger. I was going to wait for the Ford Racing/Whipple unit for two reasons.

1. I can get it at wholesale due to me being a Service Manager at an automotive service facility.
2. I've been told the twin screw is the safest, most reliable and most efficient supercharger.

I am sick of waiting for Whipple to find distributors for the parts. They keep pushing back the delivery date. My most recent contact provided me with, "The release date is now undetermined."

Finally to my questions...those with the Procharger: Have you had any issues? How noisy is the unit? What kind of power are you getting at what psi? Intercooled or not? How much did you pay?

My Shop Foreman has had several Prochargers on his vehicles and he had to carry around a couple of extra belts because it was a matter of when was it going to tear up the belt

Those with the Kenne Bell: Any issues? What kind of RWHP are you being told is safe? How much did you pay for the unit?

Thanks for all the help in advance. I want more power NOW....not in 2008!

WHIPPLE!!!!!!!! I want to give you money.....GET OFF YOUR A$$!!!!!!!!! [sm=smiley35.gif]
Old 06-15-2006, 11:25 AM
hawgman
I ♥ Acer

Default RE: Those With A Supercharger, PLEASE Respond

I thought the Whipple was a roots style, not a twin screw.

I would love to be able to address some of your questions but you didn't ask anything about the Saleen which is what I have. So anything I had to say would just be second hand knowledge. But I might suggest doing a couple of searches. Plenty of SC threads and "which is the best" threads, etc. that will probably answer your questions.
Old 06-15-2006, 12:43 PM
cortc
2nd Gear Member

Does FRPP have them yet? I also can get it at wholesale cost but did not think it was shipping yet...

ORIGINAL: zx9rpilot

OK...I am going to get a supercharger. I was going to wait for the Ford Racing/Whipple unit for two reasons.

1. I can get it at wholesale due to me being a Service Manager at an automotive service facility.
2. I've been told the twin screw is the safest, most reliable and most efficient supercharger.

I am sick of waiting for Whipple to find distributors for the parts. They keep pushing back the delivery date. My most recent contact provided me with, "The release date is now undetermined."

Finally to my questions...those with the Procharger: Have you had any issues? How noisy is the unit? What kind of power are you getting at what psi? Intercooled or not? How much did you pay?

My Shop Foreman has had several Prochargers on his vehicles and he had to carry around a couple of extra belts because it was a matter of when was it going to tear up the belt

Those with the Kenne Bell: Any issues? What kind of RWHP are you being told is safe? How much did you pay for the unit?

Thanks for all the help in advance. I want more power NOW....not in 2008!

WHIPPLE!!!!!!!! I want to give you money.....GET OFF YOUR A$$!!!!!!!!! [sm=smiley35.gif]
Old 06-15-2006, 01:39 PM
discofan
2nd Gear Member

GET THE SALEEN AND BE DONE WITH IT ALREADY...

I can't understand why guys love to complain about the Kenne Bell unit being "out of stock" or the Whipple "delivery in question"...

JUST GET THE DAM SALEEN SUPERCHARGER and stop your belly aching already...

D
Old 06-15-2006, 02:29 PM
zx9rpilot
2nd Gear Member

I am "belly aching" because I can get a SUBSTANTIAL amount of $$$ off the Ford unit.

If you could get me 25-35% off the Saleen, I would buy it right now.

Otherwise, the Saleen isn't that attractive to me.....especially for only 400 horsepower. Personally, if I'm spending $4000-$6000, I want as much bang for the buck.
Old 06-15-2006, 02:33 PM
hammeron
6th Gear Member

"I am sick of waiting for Whipple"

i say be patient, wait for the whipple....
Old 06-15-2006, 02:35 PM
QuickShortBus
I ♥ Acer

In that case go with a turbo, a much better torque curve than a centrifugal, more hp than any of the twin screws or roots with the same mods and near unlimited potential by changing a spring or turning a ****.
Old 06-15-2006, 02:42 PM
Birdieman4
5th Gear Member

First of all...
It is not the most efficient supercharger out there. The centrifugals like Procharger and Vortech are more efficient than positive displacment blowers. That said, the twin screws are the most efficient positive displacment blowers avalible. And to take it one step further, the Saleen unit is the most efficient positive displacment blower avalible (including the Whipple).
Please understand this...
Otherwise, the Saleen isn't that attractive to me.....especially for only 400 horsepower.
Saleens 'stock' upgrade kit is good for 400 hp @ 3-4 psi. Not happy with this output? Go with a smaller pulley on the blower and make whatever hp (within reason) you want. Whipple advertises more hp with their kit, but all they do is run a smaller pulley than the Saleen to do it. And being spun faster, it looses some of it's efficiency. Wanna make 500 hp with the Saleen blower? Piece of cake. The Saleen unit is the best screw on the market. (better than KB, better than Whipple) -Better because it's more efficient.
Old 06-15-2006, 03:18 PM
hawgman
I ♥ Acer

FWIW Per an email I got from Scott, Saleen now offers a 12lb pulley upgrade.

"The series VI blower is a very efficient twin screw blower. We have packages making 4.5, 6.5 and 12 psi boost available through our parts department.

Regards,

Scott Kennedy
Saleen Inc. "
Old 06-15-2006, 03:41 PM
W1ldcat
3rd Gear Member

Excuese me Hawgman, but who are "we". What company are you with?
Thanks,
WC

Quick Reply: Those With A Supercharger, PLEASE Respond