Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

9's on a stock longblock?

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2006, 09:35 PM
QuickShortBus
I ♥ Acer

Default RE: 9's on a stock longblock?

ORIGINAL: kss3valve

Have you tried spinning that blower faster? It will make around 24 psi. I'd like to see what you can do with it at 20 psi. BTW, who is gonna drive this 9 sec ride? He'll need a racing license. O, and BTW, when you want the very best #'s out of it, let me drive it.
No way! at 16psi the car loses 20 hp because of heat. The factory intercooler will not keep up. If you can make 24psi efficiently with a Saleen t/s prove it.

Both my driver and I have NHRA licenses. This is nothing new to us, just the '05s are. Very best #'s, that is the best number buddy.
I am glad someone finally said this to birdieman, he thinks the Saleen is the greatest supercharger for the 3v motors.
Old 06-16-2006, 11:21 PM
kss3valve
1st Gear Member

am glad someone finally said this to birdieman, he thinks the Saleen is the greatest supercharger for the 3v motors.
Dont get me wrong, the Saleen blower is a great STREET blower but for what I am trying to do it just can't get the job done. Saleen wasn't thinking about 14-16psi when they designed the thing, they were thinking about being cost effective!

I respect everybody's opinions here as we are all (hopefully) professionals and everybody's opinion counts. There is no such thing as a stupid question, but don't insult me. I have been drag racing and road racing for years, I know the rules, and I know a little about driving too. I am not the best nor claim to be up their with them, that would be my own opinion which is meaningless. Just don't act stupid. 20+psi out of a Saleen? give me a break.
Old 06-17-2006, 12:17 AM
QuickShortBus
I ♥ Acer

am glad someone finally said this to birdieman, he thinks the Saleen is the greatest supercharger for the 3v motors.
Dont get me wrong, the Saleen blower is a great STREET blower but for what I am trying to do it just can't get the job done. Saleen wasn't thinking about 14-16psi when they designed the thing, they were thinking about being cost effective!

I respect everybody's opinions here as we are all (hopefully) professionals and everybody's opinion counts. There is no such thing as a stupid question, but don't insult me. I have been drag racing and road racing for years, I know the rules, and I know a little about driving too. I am not the best nor claim to be up their with them, that would be my own opinion which is meaningless. Just don't act stupid. 20+psi out of a Saleen? give me a break.
I agree completely it is a great street blower and I seriously considered it before turbo charging my car. He has just said multiple times it can support 24psi without any proof and you have found the point of diminishing returns due to the small intercooler. The KB and the Whipple (when it comes to market) are much better twin screws for high hp applications.

Edit: Good luck on your quest for the 9's with a stock long block.
Old 06-17-2006, 12:26 AM
kss3valve
1st Gear Member

I agree completely it is a great street blower and I seriously considered it before turbo charging my car. He has just said multiple times it can support 24psi without any proof and you have found the point of diminishing returns due to the small intercooler. The KB and the Whipple (when it comes to market) are much better twin screws for high hp applications.
I think you are using the wrong handle bro! I think Birdieman was the one that rode the short bus to school

Edit: Good luck on your quest for the 9's with a stock long block.
Thanks man! How bout we find you some sick power and lets go heads up? How sweet would that be?
Old 06-17-2006, 12:38 AM
QuickShortBus
I ♥ Acer

I think you are using the wrong handle bro! I think Birdieman was the one that rode the short bus to school

Thanks man! How bout we find you some sick power and lets go heads up? How sweet would that be?
I figured it would make for a humerous screen name considering my '06 is yellow.

I am at a serious disadvantage, you've got the full blown race car. But, I am planning on a forged short block soon so that I can make some serious power.

I actually talked to you on Wednesday about participating in the 3v Shootout you are putting on.
Old 06-17-2006, 12:53 AM
kss3valve
1st Gear Member

Gotcha, sorry bout that man! You don't even want to know how many e-mails I have to respond to regarding that! I have over 100 people that e-mailed me about that shootout........ most of them from wwwmodularfords.com . Everybody wants a piece of my car and pete's. I am still waiting with held breath on the date to be set by our good ol boys at the magazine's...... Frustrating as hell.

We'll be in touch, and thanks for being patient.
Old 06-17-2006, 01:04 AM
QuickShortBus
I ♥ Acer

That's alright, I knew you had to be getting a lot of emails about it. Good luck with getting everything nailed down.
Old 06-17-2006, 01:53 PM
Birdieman4
5th Gear Member

Both my driver and I have NHRA licenses. This is nothing new to us, just the '05s are. Very best #'s, that is the best number buddy.
I remember reading your first post concerning car and driver. I knew you had a capable licensed driver in there; i was joking and being sarcastic.
[quote]No way! at 16psi the car loses 20 hp because of heat. The factory intercooler will not keep up. If you can make 24psi efficiently with a Saleen t/s prove it.
[quote]
No doubt the blower gets less efficient as it's spun faster. I don't believe this blower will be efficient at 24 psi, but it shouldn't be unreasonable at 18. Especially if you added a water/meth injection system. I have a lot of experience Saleen's screw blowers, and tuned an S281E with a series 5 screw blower at 18 psi. At 18 psi, the blower was building some heat, but was not as inefficient as I thought it would be. And Saleen's new series 6 is more efficient, with its dual heat exchanger system. Did you guys ever try to tune it at a higher boost level than 16 psi?
I am glad someone finally said this to birdieman, he thinks the Saleen is the greatest supercharger for the 3v motors.
For a daily driver, I don't think it is, I KNOW it is.
Implying??

Either way, before I tore it apart, I'd throw a water/meth injection system on there and spin it at 18 psi. I do believe the results would surprise you.
Old 06-17-2006, 02:25 PM
kss3valve
1st Gear Member

Oh geez here we go..... yes I have spun to 16psi. I made no power. Remember this is an 05 #016 with a dealer installed blower. Low serial number with probably one of the first superchargers sold on it. They have made some changes but you still cant gobs of hp out of them. Water methanol makes some power yes......... But it is just this A BAND AID. I slowed my car's blower down to 14psi b/c that is where it made the most power.

You guys may think differently than me on this subject but that is fine. A dyno number is just that, a dyno number. The car will react differently when it is placed out on a 95 degree day. Is it worth 5 or 6 hp to go to 16psi on a stock motor? Hell no. You might be getting a couple of hp yes, but you are trying to move more volume of air that is insanely hot...... Not good.

Switch to a KB or Whipple.
Old 06-18-2006, 09:13 PM
Birdieman4
5th Gear Member

At least throw a little water/methanol mix in there first, before you tear it apart. Do you have any experience with these? I think you will find that the car performs quite well at 18-20 psi with the water/meth injection. I assume your biggest problem with not making hp at a bigger psi was heat. Right? Why wouldn't your try the water/meth mix prior to ripping it apart? Oh, and what was your total timing set at?

Quick Reply: 9's on a stock longblock?