Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2005 Mustang GT Front Sway Finally Out

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2006, 11:24 AM
GT John
3rd Gear Member

Default 2005 Mustang GT Front Sway Finally Out

Well, got tired of waiting for the shop guys to remove the front sway.

Had to go buy a floor jack, and the 18mm and 15mm deep well sockets (back when I worked on cars there wasnt any metric bolts on anything). pretty staight forward removal. Man, that things heavy. If I decide to reinstall the sway, it will be aluminum.

While looking around as to what the sway actually does was interesting. The ends attach to the upper shock body on each side, the bar going across attaches to the cars frame. With this setup the body of the car is allowed to rise up and down but is prohibited from moving sideways. Also I noticed that the sway also limits how high the body can actually rise, like when you punch it.

Also had the opportunity to clean the insides of the rims.

The only thing thats still got me a little baffled is how to remove the front "C" clamp bolts from the frame so I dont lose them. One actually came out with the "C" clamp, so I know they come out.

Took her out for a short drive afterwards, didnt notice any real difference in handling.
Old 06-18-2006, 11:26 AM
Black GT
4th Gear Member

Default RE: 2005 Mustang GT Front Sway Finally Out

What's the reason for removing it?
Old 06-18-2006, 11:41 AM
GT John
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Black GT

What's the reason for removing it?

Better weight transfer to the rear wheels. When you punch it, the front body of the car will rise up transferring more weight to the rear. I need all the help back there I can get running stock tires.

I havent had my car to the drags yet. Wanted to do it one time, just to say I did it. Now I've got to buy a helment ($250). Back in the ole days (60's) a helment wasnt required.

If your into road racing, dont remove the front sway bar. I'm an old guy and never take the GT above 80mph, but I get there real fast. Okay, pretty fast. 99% of my driving is highway.
Old 06-24-2006, 08:43 PM
Vcoat
3rd Gear Member

How is the handling effected?
Old 06-24-2006, 08:58 PM
Scott P
2nd Gear Member

The front sway bar is important to even regular street driving. Removing it benefits straight line acceleration at the drag strip only. I would hope you put it back on for normal driving.
Old 06-24-2006, 09:01 PM
austijc
2nd Gear Member

Doesn't that greatly increase rollover risk? (I'm not real up on suspension issues)
Old 06-24-2006, 09:35 PM
spyder7724
4th Gear Member

my sway bar has been off for months now and i've yet to turn it over. you just have to realize cornering isn't going to be your strength. of course with slicks and skinnies i'm not exactly carving canyons anymore...but i can run straight really quick.
Old 06-24-2006, 09:40 PM
classj
4th Gear Member

If this is not a track only car, you seriously neutered the saftey and handling of your car. That is a track only trick. Some guys disconnect the end links and saftey wire the bar out of the way on alot of cars when they go to the track. I would put it back in for the street. No real need to remove it.

Nearly every car built since the 60's has had a front bar. Rears are not as needed. But become important when looking for performance and turn in.
Old 06-24-2006, 11:41 PM
GT John
3rd Gear Member

Well, I've had the front sway bar out for a week now. No difference in handling here.

Keep in mind though, its my work car..........I drive up the highway 30mi to work and back down the highway 30mi to home.

I dont do any road racing are anything like that. I dont drive over 70mph (but I get there real fast) on the highway. The reason the sway was removed was because I plan on taking the car to the drags in a month or so. I wanted to get use to driving the car with no sway bar. Nothing really for me to get use too.

If your the type of driver that likes pushing the envelope I would suggest that you leave the sway in. Or replace it with an aluminum one. The stock sway is pretty darn heavy.

Have fun
Old 06-26-2006, 02:38 PM
nautiluscont
1st Gear Member

Im honestly not sure I have ever seen an aluminum sway bar.........

Quick Reply: 2005 Mustang GT Front Sway Finally Out