Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Jiffy Lube screwing people over

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2006, 01:28 AM
281GT
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: Jiffy Lube screwing people over

I got screwed once when I was 18 and I've done all my own work since with the only exception being warranty work. I sold auto parts for 13 years and I saw a lot of shops do a lot of very dishonest things. This made it really bad for the shops that were honest because the crooks were undercutting their prices all the time. The whole industry is really messed up and that's why I got out of if. I just do it as a hobby now and I am lot happier not being part of an industry that is so full of crooks.
Old 06-27-2006, 03:15 PM
richmod
4th Gear Member

Few years back, Jiffy Lube screwed the oil pan plug in crooked and ruined it and the oil pan. Nice.

Side question - do you have to follow the manufacturers recommended maintenance schedule to keep you warranty valid? Some people have said they don't take their cars in for anything except warranty repair work. So if you don't go in for scheduled maintenance (not oil changes, the other stuff - inspect this, inspect that, adjust this, etc.) doesn't that void your warranty?
Old 06-27-2006, 03:17 PM
Derf00
Gentleman's Relish

I never go to those places....

The dealership charges us only $18 bucks for an oil change...cheaper than anyone else around. Why go anywhere else? They screw it up, it's at the dealer in their hands, no question of 'did the service center screw it up' and 'oh it wasn't a ford dealership so you're sol on warranty'
Old 06-27-2006, 06:33 PM
Rolland
1st Gear Member

Man, that hurts to watch. Friggin crooks. Guess its time to learn how to do that kind of work myself.

[:@]
Old 06-27-2006, 07:04 PM
CrazyAl
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Derf00

I never go to those places....

The dealership charges us only $18 bucks for an oil change...cheaper than anyone else around. Why go anywhere else? They screw it up, it's at the dealer in their hands, no question of 'did the service center screw it up' and 'oh it wasn't a ford dealership so you're sol on warranty'

Exactly right! In my experience, the dealership tends to be on the pricey side. But in a situation like this, as long as your car is under warranty, it's great. Even if they screw up the work, who cares? You have a documented history of having the work done by Ford, and therefore if you have a problem they can't get out of it.
Old 07-02-2006, 01:34 AM
wmtheflash
3rd Gear Member

I'm not suprised by this posted, I've had many problems with Jiffy Lube in the past and at more than one location. I stopped using them years ago because of all the problems I was having. I've learned not to trust quick lube places like that.

Do your vehicle a favor and take it to an independent mechanic or dealer that is well known and has a good reputation in your town. Not all dealers do good work, so be careful.
Old 07-02-2006, 02:28 AM
Gone2
2nd Gear Member

My local Valvoline quick lube place brought in my air filter during my oil change. He said that it was completely clogged and I needed a new one. I told him to put my K&N back in and just finish the oil change.
Old 07-02-2006, 02:47 AM
Goldenpony
5th Gear Member

This is why I do it myself.
Old 07-02-2006, 07:00 AM
SPARTAN VI
4th Gear Member

Valvoline? Don't think I've seen any in southern california, although I'll look around.

I think I'll start marking my oil filter from now on.. either that, or buy all the supplies, sit down, and learn to do it myself.
Old 07-02-2006, 09:18 AM
W1ldcat
3rd Gear Member

The nice thing is our cars couldn't be easier to do.

Quick Reply: Jiffy Lube screwing people over