Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Daddy bought your car? from a dad's perspective.

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2006, 01:11 PM
BLACK06GT4ME
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: Daddy bought your car? from a dad's perspective.

I obviously agree with you as should be evident in my signature (notice Dad has the GT, kids have the V6). I "helped" both my kids buy their firs cars, they put in their car savings and we made up the rest. They fully understand the responsibility that comes with owning a mustang. The car must be kept clean, well maintained and driven safely (notice my 18 year old son has the 96, lower HP engine), and if wrecked they fix it or if beyond repair they walk for a while. So far so good, daughter is 21 with no tickets or accidents, son maintains the same status. I'm happy to be able to privide a nice, safe, fun car for them to drive. They realize how fortunate they are and frequently let mom and I know that. I'm certain they will try to make a better life for their children and hopefully pass on the the desire to drive Mustangs.

My first car was a 1966 pontiac catalina (TANK). I got a loan from my dad and paid him back ASAP. The rules for my car was the same for me as I've laid down for my kids. I understand that working your butt off to acquire (earn) a nicer car is an important life lesson. My desire was to let the kids work toward completing their education with high standards and if they pulled it off the car was the reward. With daughter in third year of college and son left for the Army this morning, I believe they got the point.

Just my $.02 worth.
Old 06-20-2006, 01:18 PM
superiormirage
2nd Gear Member

Ben Wallace, I am a living example of what you are talking about. My folks bought me a newer Nissan Sentra. Now, they made me pay for all my own gas and part of my insurance. I knew how lucky I was, even back then. My folks did a good job of raising me and I appreciated everything they did for me.

Now, 5 years after that, I just bought my new baby

Two years ago, when my younger brother turned 16, they sat be down and ask if I would be upset if they bought him a new Toyota off the showroom floor. I laughed at them. They are in a MUCH better place financelly now and I told them to go get him a Subaru WRX. (They didn't, of course.)

I agree completely that it's the desire of parents to provide for their children, and there is nothing wrong with that as long as the parents teach them to appreciate what they have. When I have kids, I am going to do all I can for them, just as my folks did for me.
Old 06-20-2006, 02:28 PM
viking396
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: CrazyAl

I completely agree about working to better your (and your child's) life. I intend for my children to have things, and opportunities, that I did not have.

But part of what we "give" our children is the skills and the "outlook" needed to succeed in life.

For example, when I was a child I never given an "allowance" from my parents. However, if I wanted money (and what child doesn't), then they paid me to do chores. I will admit, they were very generous: $5 to wash their car, $10 to mow the lawn, and so on. In the end, I suppose it was little different than a child who had to do chores but got a weekly allowance. But, it taught me that things that I wanted were not beyond my reach--and that I should work for what I wanted. If I wanted money for toys or whatever else, I didn't sit and sulk about not having any money, and I didn't beg my parents for them. Instead, I thought to myself, "What work can I do to earn enough money to pay for what I want". And I've got to say, that was one of the best lessons that my parents ever taught me.

The same thing happened when I was in High School. As earlier posters have mentioned, yes, it pissed me off when people I knew in school were driving around in brand-new fancy cars. Here's what happened to me. When I turned 16 and got my license, my parents said that that if I wanted a car, they would help me with getting a loan and a down payment (if needed). They also gave me some money as a gift towards the car. (I think it was $1,000) But I would have to pay for my own gas, maintenance, repairs, and the car. I had a job at that time, and I was expected to earn the money to pay for everything. Needless to say I couldn't afford a brand new car. But I did end up with a good used car. No, it wasn't new, but it wasn't a junkheap either. You'd better belive that I took GOOD care of that car and was very careful when I drove it becasue it was my money that was on the line if something went wrong. I couldn't go back and say "daddy, I broke my car. Will you fix it?"

I think that it is irresponsible for a parent to go out and buy his or her child a "fast" car the day they get their license. I'm not saying that parents shouldn't buy their children "new" cars. If you have the money to buy Junior a shiny new (whatever) off the lot, and you want to spend that money on a car that is likely going to get banged up--then OK, it's your money. But it is just plain dangerous--to the child and to others--to equip an in-experienced driver with a fast car.
^^ Plus 1000 big time, well said.
Old 06-20-2006, 03:17 PM
Black06stang
4th Gear Member

I am paying half of the insurance, half of the car, half of the taxes, and half of the gas. I think my dad cut me a pretty fair deal.
Old 06-20-2006, 03:18 PM
Black06stang
4th Gear Member

O yeah, and a kid at my high school got a brand new supercharged saleen as a graduation present from his father-for graduating 11th grade!
Old 06-20-2006, 03:20 PM
Sleeper05
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: olym4gery

As a parent, you would have to be an idiot to give your child a high-performance car.

Get a "nice" car, that is safe, reliable, and SLOW.
buyin your kid a fast car as a first car is stupid. buying your kid a car is not
considering all 3 of my cars were bought by my parents, i am biased towards it not being a "sin" to do such a thing as many people seem to feel. we are well off but not rich by any means...my dad just chooses to drive a beat up minivan so i can have the mustang, because he never wanted me to have to go through the hardship he did as a kid. not partying til college, never doing drugs, getting straight A's and going to college on scholarship also "woo'ed" him towards an inclination to be generous as well. not to mention i had my own entrepreneurial sources of income all through hs and to this day to support all of my other many hobbies.
Old 06-20-2006, 03:44 PM
viking396
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Black06stang

I am paying half of the insurance, half of the car, half of the taxes, and half of the gas. I think my dad cut me a pretty fair deal.
11th grade??? What does he get when he graduates from High School? Good grief people are nuts.
Old 06-20-2006, 04:26 PM
BAMFstang
3rd Gear Member

Gulfstream maybe???
Old 06-20-2006, 05:15 PM
muze one

2 daughters...2 toyota 4-dr corollas for them...
Old 06-20-2006, 06:23 PM
jdback19
4th Gear Member

My first brand new car was purchased by my father it was an 04 nissan sentra ser spec v NOT A SLOW CAR!!! But its the one i wanted and i had to pay for it car note -100$, and all of the insurance. Now that i have an awesome job and can take on more financial responsibility i went out and purchased in my own name a 2006 GT and i have only been outta highschool 2 years and im 19!!

Quick Reply: Daddy bought your car? from a dad's perspective.