Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help! Ford TripTunes vs. PIE Adapter

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2006, 02:04 PM
v8Mike

Default Help! Ford TripTunes vs. PIE Adapter

Hi All,
I'm looking for an AUOX input mp3 connector for the shaker 500. does anyone have any experience with the Ford TripTunes? It is only $50 vs. the 90+ for the PIE adapter. I assume its essentially the same functionality, but no one at any of my local ford dealers knows anything about it, and one place didnt even know that it exists(duh). I'd much rtather spend half as much for the Ford unit if it does the same thing.
Thanks in advance!
Old 06-22-2006, 02:54 AM
bchoice

Default RE: Help! Ford TripTunes vs. PIE Adapter

Sounds like it does the same thing, but my local Ford parts department couldn't figure out how to order it. I got the PIE and it works great. Good luck!
Old 06-22-2006, 04:23 AM
brianm66

From what I have read, the Ford part is simply an FM modulator that goes inline with the antenna, it doesn't actually let you use the AUX input on the stereo.

Your audio quality will definitely be better with the PIE adapter for this reason. FM modulators have their place, but they'll never beat a direct input.
Old 06-22-2006, 06:01 PM
v8Mike

Those cheap bastards. I always thought FM modulators were silly, if I want it to sound like the radio I'll just listen to the radio for free. Thanks I'm getting the PIE.
Old 07-11-2006, 01:21 PM
TJs06GTStang

OK, I just picked up the Triptunes for my 2006 Mustang GT. I was told that it hooks directly to the AUX input on the back of my head unit. So I thought, "Hell, if it hooks directly into the back of the headunit and they are going to install it, I think I will pay the $50 for the part and $90 for the install" Well the Triptunes is in and glued to the inside of my glovebox but I still need another part to get it to work completely. I was happy till I read the instructions. Step one: Tune the radio to channel 85.3fm??? WHAT!!! So I just paid for a very expensive modulator. I feel like I was completely ripped off. Without this other part I can't even see how it works so I have no idea what the sound quality is. I am about to have them take the whole unit out. Does anyone have the unit and know what the sound quality is? If this sucks I am going to return the whole thing and purchase the PIE and install it myself. $140 for a modulator??? Come on!
Old 07-11-2006, 01:32 PM
bigboss

i haven't checked prices but i think this one is a bit more expensive, although i think it is the way to go.

http://peripheralelectronics.com/web/GEN2OEM.asp
Old 07-11-2006, 01:51 PM
topless05GT
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: bigboss

i haven't checked prices but i think this one is a bit more expensive, although i think it is the way to go.

+1

It's not cheap, after reading numerous posts, responses, and comments - if you have an iPod, it's the best way to go.
Old 07-11-2006, 03:55 PM
vicmeldrew
1st Gear Member

this is only for the ipod - i have one and you control the ipod thru the radio - expensive but effective - if you want an adapter that you can plug anything into then the PIE is the one you want.
Old 07-11-2006, 04:41 PM
bigboss

there is also one where you can plug in anything you want. check this link:

http://peripheralelectronics.com/web/aux2car.asp

ORIGINAL: vicmeldrew

this is only for the ipod - i have one and you control the ipod thru the radio - expensive but effective - if you want an adapter that you can plug anything into then the PIE is the one you want.
Old 08-04-2006, 07:31 PM
v8Mike

I know most of these threads have been quiet for a while, but thought I'd add something. I had the PIE for about 2 weeks and everything was working great. Right in the middle of a 6000 mile drive to the west coast, the damn thing just stopped working. So I had literally 2 CD's with me, and had to drive 30+ hours with no music. [:@]
So I talked to PIE, and the told me I have to talk to the retailer, so now I'm waiting to hear back from discountcarstereo.com. I'll post when I hear more info.

Quick Reply: Help! Ford TripTunes vs. PIE Adapter