Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
Old 10-22-2015, 07:09 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Ford Mustang Interior Guides
Print Wikipost

Active Anti theft system modification?

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2006, 03:47 PM
28HopUp
MF Administrator

Default RE: Active Anti theft system modification?

tdappleman Date 6/22/2006 11:17:36 AM
Thanks for all of the replies so far. I don't expect the Convertible to be secure with the top down (or really with the top up for that matter). As others have mentioned, it would be nice if someone reached in for the car to detect that motion so the alarm goes off. I don't leave much in the way of valuables in there - my wallet and sunglasses are usually with me - but that doesn't mean someone wont reach in and look through the console or glove compartment to see what you may have. Back in the day, I installed car security systems and used motion detectors on the inside which were adjustable for sensitivity and distance. If you left your windows/sunroof open and someone reached in it would set the alarm off. It would be nice to utilize the factory sensors for the exact same purpose with the top down since they are already there. I like the idea of finding where the top position sensor is and seeing what it would take to bypass or disable it. Anyone with a shop manual want to publish the diagram and I'll work to figure it out.

The alarms I used to install were Maxiguard and Black Widow. I did find this sensor on-line which shows what I'm talking about:
http://www.blackwidowsecurity.com/acc-MAS-6.htm
From my experience, those sensors are plenty sensitive with the top up. If they could be made to work with the top down, I bet they would go off all the time (unless they could be adjusted). I've had several occasions where they properly functioned when someone poked their head inside to look around (most only curious about the new car, but one was up to no good).

Convertible or not, I suggest that everyone lock their glove compartment with the key (all the time). It only takes seconds for someone to go into an unlocked car, open the glove box, and steal your registration card (or anything else of value). Don't make it easy for a thief to know where you live. Keep your valuables in the trunk.
Old 06-22-2006, 04:51 PM
tdappleman
1st Gear Member

Thanks for that picture, Newbreedgt05. I'll have to take a look at it and see what actually triggers the switch to see if it can be bypassed or disabled somehow. Hopefully I'll have time this weekend to poke around in there. What was the source of that picture and where could I get a book like that?
Old 06-23-2006, 10:58 AM
05SDI
3rd Gear Member

I think this is the first reason I have seen for For NOT to put a trunk button inside our cars!
05SDI

ORIGINAL: 28hopup

Convertible or not, I suggest that everyone lock their glove compartment with the key (all the time). It only takes seconds for someone to go into an unlocked car, open the glove box, and steal your registration card (or anything else of value). Don't make it easy for a thief to know where you live. Keep your valuables in the trunk.