Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Speed limiter on new GT's?

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2006, 08:06 PM
classj
4th Gear Member

Default RE: Speed Limiters - Off topic but ....

Looking at the preditor website it appears that the preditor has alot more features than the SCT. But I know that everyone seems to prefer the SCT for some reason. I do know that SCT provides better support or something.
Old 06-22-2006, 10:14 PM
cookieronster219

just so you know...

my friend has an E46 M3 with ESS software installed.

we went on a ride down the freeway and were able to max out his speedo..

around 175-185. before the car redlined

before the chip he could hit around 163 before the limiter kicked in, even though the car felt like it could go on for days and days.

i dont get that feeling in the mustang, im scared to take the engine passed 140'ish cause it feels like it would just give out or something. that and, i think i might ruin break in period.
Old 06-22-2006, 10:41 PM
classj
4th Gear Member

You are right about break in. But the engine is fine at high RPM's once run in. Would I want to do it all day, no. But on the street, how often (or ever) do you go 150+ for minutes on end.

I hit 130 in mine once. Quick blast up to 130 and back down to highway speed one night. Thing felt stable as a rock, and the car had plenty left in it.

In truth, while having no speed limiter would be a nice bragging feature I guess. Anyone that hits 150 on a public road in a populated area and still wishes to go faster should have their head examined. It is not you, the car, or the road thats unsafe, it is all the people around you.

If I had the ability I would like to disable it. Why? I have no friggin idea.
Old 06-22-2006, 11:34 PM
bl1nk
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: classj

You are right about break in. But the engine is fine at high RPM's once run in. Would I want to do it all day, no. But on the street, how often (or ever) do you go 150+ for minutes on end.

I hit 130 in mine once. Quick blast up to 130 and back down to highway speed one night. Thing felt stable as a rock, and the car had plenty left in it.

In truth, while having no speed limiter would be a nice bragging feature I guess. Anyone that hits 150 on a public road in a populated area and still wishes to go faster should have their head examined. It is not you, the car, or the road thats unsafe, it is all the people around you.

If I had the ability I would like to disable it. Why? I have no friggin idea.
+1. I have hit 141 and the car feels like I was going 60 (this was on a very deserted highway at 3 am). No rattling, no loose parts, extremely well handling for a stock car at 140 mph. My last car wouldnt even make it to 125 and at that point it was so squirly I would have questioned going faster. In the Mustang I was actually very surprised at how quiet the ride was, I could hear the wind somewhat but the road noise was very minimal. In my other car I could be going about 90 and hear the wind over my stereo at about half blast (and I had a 2 grand aftermarket sound system), no problems like this in the Stang.

I wish there was a positive confirmation as to whether we actually have a limiter and if we do.. a way to turn it off.
Old 06-23-2006, 12:17 AM
xzo6
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: Speed limiter on new GT's?

ORIGINAL: C6 VETTE

The runflats are OK. There is another runflat called the Supercar Run Flats found on the ZO6 and Z51 packaged Vettes that have a little better traction but less treadlife.I am told ypu can drive 55mph on the run flats for up to 100miles with 0psi. The performance is great since they added a new six speed auto with a paddle shift and acceleration feels great since they have debugged the torque management problem found in the '05's. I've gotten to 120mph for a couple seconds but let off . I guess having a commercial license puts the fear in me of wanting to go ***** out (alot of congestion here in the Bay Area) .

You have a very NICE Vette ,from the looks of it...
ORIGINAL: xzo6

Ya I know Vettes do not have a speed governer.Had mine up to(my old 04 Zo6) on the 407 coming back from Toronto.I was at 155mph (Could not go faster,as you know, the front end of a C5 Vette lifts up at high speed.Had I not slowed down I may have got up to165mph)for about 10minutes before a OPP stopped me.I had slowed some so he could catch up to me and then stopped .No ticket because I was going too fast to clock.Nice Policeman,eh?He told me to be more careful with such a nice car.As for my S/C'd o6 Stage 3 Roush Mustang GT...I assume that it has the same retard electronic bumper stop(155mph),as the GT 500.I will go out and when I come back I will tell you how fast it will go,OkayHow do to like your Vette?
Old 06-23-2006, 09:25 PM
Red_Stallion
2nd Gear Member

I had mine up to 145mph and that that seemed to be the max. If it is governed to that speed then it's a very soft govern because all the other vehicles I have owned give an incredible jolt when the limiter kicks in, feels really rough and unhealthy for the vehicle.

On a side note, the car was still quite wonderful at that speed, no rattling, no vibrations or the feeling of it wanting to come apart. Handling was still adequate as well, my only concern was the hood, it was shaking like crazy and I feared for it to come flying off.
Old 06-23-2006, 11:42 PM
classj
4th Gear Member

I noticed a bit of hood shake as well. Nothing major. I hear the gt-500 hood vents are actually just aerodynamic vents to let air pressure out from under the hood. I guess if I was tapping 130+ all the time I would look into it.
Old 06-25-2006, 11:14 PM
2006RedGT
2nd Gear Member

Fords do have very "good" speed limiters. On the one's i've hit the speed limiter on it's not a jolt.