Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Speed limiter on new GT's?

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2006, 06:10 AM
C6 VETTE
5th Gear Member

Default Speed limiter on new GT's?

I went over to the nearby Ford dealership to take a peek at the new Shelby GT500 (unfortunately they did'nt have one yet). So I started chopping it up with a sales rep and he mentioned that the GT's have a speed limiter. My question is that correct? And if so , what is it governed at? I've seen governed trucks but should'nt they leave a performance car alone with that speed limiter crapp.
Old 06-22-2006, 09:03 AM
xzo6
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: Speed limiter on new GT's?

Ya I know Vettes do not have a speed governer.Had mine up to(my old 04 Zo6) on the 407 coming back from Toronto.I was at 155mph (Could not go faster,as you know, the front end of a C5 Vette lifts up at high speed.Had I not slowed down I may have got up to165mph)for about 10minutes before a OPP stopped me.I had slowed some so he could catch up to me and then stopped .No ticket because I was going too fast to clock.Nice Policeman,eh?He told me to be more careful with such a nice car.As for my S/C'd o6 Stage 3 Roush Mustang GT...I assume that it has the same retard electronic bumper stop(155mph),as the GT 500.I will go out and when I come back I will tell you how fast it will go,OkayHow do to like your Vette?
Old 06-22-2006, 09:24 AM
Timmay!!!
4th Gear Member

Rumor has it that GTs do, but I've never seen it published and I don't know anyone who has hit it. We do have a brick for a front end so maybe the drag is keeping us from hitting it. I don't picture ford letting us run 160+ with the stock tires we have. I know that the GT500 is limited to 157 though[:'(]
Old 06-22-2006, 10:04 AM
xzo6
2nd Gear Member

What tires are on your car?I didn't have runflats on my o4 Zo6.Had a set on the older Vert,and found they impeded the cars handling,overall.There wasn't even a spare in that Zo6.Just a portable pump for emergencies.The 06 GT came with a handling package(18'... ZR ,50 series on the front & rear ).I am thinking I'll take out my spare and get a small pump too.Thats about a 20 pound savings of dead wieght(It compensates for my obesity).According to GM,most Flats on high speed runs are likely to be slow leaks and not blowouts...
Old 06-22-2006, 11:21 AM
POWERS
2nd Gear Member

It's hard to tell what the GTs top speed is since the speedo only goes to 145mph. I've heard there is an electonrinc limiter but with a tune you can turn it off. The fastest ive gone was when i was up against an E46 M3 on alligator alley in South Florida. I know M3s or limted to 155mph and I was putting distance on him but since my speedo tops out at 145 I have no clue what the final number I hit was before I let off.
Old 06-22-2006, 11:32 AM
mail906
2nd Gear Member

Default Speed Limiters - Off topic but ....

This is a little off topic but ...

My biz vehicle used to be a 95 Cadillac STS, a very sweet car.

One day on US 94 from Chicago to Detroit (the road I own), I took it up to just under 145 and then the electronic governor kicked in. It was a weird feeling. The car just felt like it was "on." I knew it had plenty more, but it was limited. If you're not familiar with the Cadillac Northstar setup, they are very hot cars. Unfortunately its sad GM has never been able to communicate the message.

I now have a 07 GT 5 spd. vert on order. While it will never see 145, it will go one better. It will be a summer family/kids vehicle. We can't wait.
Old 06-22-2006, 11:59 AM
xzo6
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: Speed Limiters - Off topic but ....

Goodluck with your new car!
Old 06-22-2006, 12:06 PM
olym4gery
1st Gear Member

I'm assuming Mustang GT's, and not just GT.

Mustangs are drag limited to appx 147 mph.

When I SCT X-cal'ed my car I turned the limiter on.

SO the car has the capability to be limited, but I don't believe that feature is activated from the factory.
Old 06-22-2006, 12:31 PM
grasshopper
2nd Gear Member

If the GT has one it would be 168mph as limiters are usually seem to be set to the limit of the OE tire rating... W in the case of the OE 17s and 18s.
Old 06-22-2006, 12:42 PM
CarsandCigars
1st Gear Member

I do believe the Mustang GT has a speed limiter in the 140's. I had an Audi TT that was speed rated at 151. If you hit it, the spark was reduced and you would slow down. I never tested it.

Apparently when Audi first introduced the TT it didn't have a speed limiter and some German soccer star left the Autobahn at 160+. His family sued saying the car was unsafe at 160 MPH.

Quick Reply: Speed limiter on new GT's?