Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Maximizing the HP you have

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2006, 02:43 PM
Virgule
2nd Gear Member

Default Maximizing the HP you have

One of the interesting philosophical approaches to "hot rodding" is the age old debate between lightening the load versus adding more horsepower. An example of the latter is a CAI, or a supercharger, or a new exhaust, which a lot of us are apt to do to make the 'stang go faster. This method "adds" horsepower by modifying the engine to output more umph.

Another method however, is to use what you have in terms of engine output, and maximizing utility of your basic 300 crank horsepower on your average GT. This is done by things like swapping out the flywheel, driveshaft, wheels and tires and other inertial loads that hamper performance because of the weight they add and the rotational physics they impact.

So that is the question. I personally favor maximizing what I have BEFORE embarking on generating more HP with engine mods. Which approach do you favor.
Old 06-26-2006, 05:18 PM
viking396
5th Gear Member

Default RE: Maximizing the HP you have

ORIGINAL: Virgule

One of the interesting philosophical approaches to "hot rodding" is the age old debate between lightening the load versus adding more horsepower. An example of the latter is a CAI, or a supercharger, or a new exhaust, which a lot of us are apt to do to make the 'stang go faster. This method "adds" horsepower by modifying the engine to output more umph.

Another method however, is to use what you have in terms of engine output, and maximizing utility of your basic 300 crank horsepower on your average GT. This is done by things like swapping out the flywheel, driveshaft, wheels and tires and other inertial loads that hamper performance because of the weight they add and the rotational physics they impact.

So that is the question. I personally favor maximizing what I have BEFORE embarking on generating more HP with engine mods. Which approach do you favor.
I think it's a great idea but the CAI is essential because it only allows the engine to breath the way it was meant to, the craptastic box that comes stock should be ****-canned from the get go no matter what else is done to the car. As for rotational mass like driveshaft, flywheel etc.... you're talking about adding cost for very little benefit unless of course money is an issue. I see no reason why you can't do both at the same time unless you have loads of time to spare.

I am however waiting on the SC approach and installing CAM's first, UDP's, LT's, electric water pump, new driveshaft and 4.10 gears with DR's, when I can make up my mind and stick to it that plan that is. I feel the car would be a solid 12 second performer setup like that and it would be a solid reliable setup. Perhaps then the LCA's would be swapped out as well.

Forgive the grammar, too damn lazy today to pay much attention.
Old 06-26-2006, 05:25 PM
jdback19
4th Gear Member

Tru dat^^^
Old 06-26-2006, 05:47 PM
StartMeUp
1st Gear Member

I think it's just a whole lot more practical/cheaper to add more HP to these cars than to start shedding pounds. I rather add a CAI and tune then spend a fortune on lightweight racing wheels and driveshaft. My opinion, unless you're building a race car, stick to adding power.