Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Can a CAI damage Engine?

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2006, 05:33 PM
Racefiend
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: Can a CAI damage Engine?

ORIGINAL: Nadelle

DONT listen to the dealer, instead listen to a profesional aftermarket shop. the new 05-07 mustangs need a tune with just about evry mod,
Yes, instead listen to someone who makes extra money selling handheld tuners/dyno tunes [sm=rolleyes.gif]
Old 06-29-2006, 05:46 PM
Timmay!!!
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: travis_stl

The good thing about a tune is that it saves your current computer setup. If you take it to Ford for work, simply upload the factory tune back on the computer and could even remove the CAI and put the factory tube back on. No one would be the wiser.

I don’t have a CAI on my car yet but do on a truck. It puts out a deeper sound but hasn’t damage the motor that I’ve noticed. Im haven’t used tune for a while because of gas prices and I have been hauling things. Its been running strong a little over a year
The dealer can tell when the computer has been re-flashed. Every time you load a tune it trips a flag, "reflash date" I belive it is. Only thing you can hope is that they don't check it or turn a blind eye. The reason why airaid, K&N, MRT, etc can get away with not needing a tune is because they use a stock diameter inlet tube. The only thing that changes is the speed of the airflow. Now JLTand C&L use larger diameter inlet tubes changing the air/fuel ratio. Try to use these w/o a tune and you will be running severly lean. Personally I think a tuner is the only way to really unlock the power on these cars and they (Predator and SCT) offer so many other options, speedo re-cal, idle RPM adjustment, spark adjustment and thats only at the end-user(customer) level. Professional tuners can adjust and re-tune the entire motor. Not a bad deal for $400 IMO. Especially for something your going to need if your really going to dig into this car.
Old 06-29-2006, 06:09 PM
Rippin n Tarrin
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Timmay!!!

ORIGINAL: travis_stl

The good thing about a tune is that it saves your current computer setup. If you take it to Ford for work, simply upload the factory tune back on the computer and could even remove the CAI and put the factory tube back on. No one would be the wiser.

I don’t have a CAI on my car yet but do on a truck. It puts out a deeper sound but hasn’t damage the motor that I’ve noticed. Im haven’t used tune for a while because of gas prices and I have been hauling things. Its been running strong a little over a year
The dealer can tell when the computer has been re-flashed. Every time you load a tune it trips a flag, "reflash date" I belive it is. Only thing you can hope is that they don't check it or turn a blind eye. The reason why airaid, K&N, MRT, etc can get away with not needing a tune is because they use a stock diameter inlet tube. The only thing that changes is the speed of the airflow. Now JLTand C&L use larger diameter inlet tubes changing the air/fuel ratio. Try to use these w/o a tune and you will be running severly lean. Personally I think a tuner is the only way to really unlock the power on these cars and they (Predator and SCT) offer so many other options, speedo re-cal, idle RPM adjustment, spark adjustment and thats only at the end-user(customer) level. Professional tuners can adjust and re-tune the entire motor. Not a bad deal for $400 IMO. Especially for something your going to need if your really going to dig into this car.
1. If you tune an engine with a CAI do you need to run on 93 octane?

2. If you have a CAI that doesn't require a tune will a tune mess it up?
Old 06-29-2006, 06:20 PM
Timmay!!!
4th Gear Member

1. No you don't have to run 93. Just tell you tuner what octane you want to run and they will adjust it accordingly. I'm currently running a 89 octane tune from Fred at Evolution but he also gave me a 93 octane tune for when I have it available.
2. You can always have someone retune the computer to take into account the CAI. Airraid even says if you retune it and remove the venturi tube you should see another 10 hp on top of the 17hp you gain from their CAI alone.
Old 06-29-2006, 06:54 PM
Rippin n Tarrin
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Timmay!!!

1. No you don't have to run 93. Just tell you tuner what octane you want to run and they will adjust it accordingly. I'm currently running a 89 octane tune from Fred at Evolution but he also gave me a 93 octane tune for when I have it available.
2. You can always have someone retune the computer to take into account the CAI. Airraid even says if you retune it and remove the venturi tube you should see another 10 hp on top of the 17hp you gain from their CAI alone.

Wow an additional 10HP isn't bad, +27HP overall for a small Mod.

Right now I am happy with the way it is. I just don't want to ruin the engine doing something wrong.
Old 05-21-2007, 11:53 PM
2cokeman
5th Gear Member

Then why does the the Steeda need a tune when it uses the factory tube, all you change is the filter??
Old 05-22-2007, 01:00 AM
TheRebel
2nd Gear Member

New guy here. Glad to see this post. I have a CAI on my 06 GT and now the CEL is on. Codes PO174 and PO171. I'm running lean. I have a SCT Xcal 2 that I used on my pervious car (Lincoln LS). I guess I need to get a tune. My previous tuner said he could tune the Mustang for $100, but I was wondering who you all recommend for tunes in case there is someone better out there than my current tuner. Anybody know how long I can run the car with those codes before damage occurs? I am not hearing any pinging at WOT and the CEL only comes on after about an hour and a half of driving. I've been clearing the DTCs with the Xcal Guess I'll be putting the stock air box back in until I get a tune for the Mustang.
Old 05-22-2007, 02:51 AM
lldsandsll
4th Gear Member

u can always put the tune back to stock and remove the intake if u have to take it in. if ur car for some reason dies completely and u cant retune, put the components back to stock and play dumb. installing and uninstalling a CAI takes like 5 seconds. anything that doesnt require a tune isnt really doing anything for the car.
Old 05-22-2007, 03:28 AM
Bluestar
5th Gear Member

To answer the original question, I think the only danger you might face running a CAI without a tune is the possibility of the engine running too lean which could cause a problem. I bought the Airaid system before learningabout thisforum. I put it in and said to myself wow this is pretty cool, sounds good, no check engine light and I'm getting better gas mileage (not that that was a concern). After getting my tune from B-speed for the Airaid, which requires removal of the restrictor tube mentioned above, all I can say is WOW!!!!!!