Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

ordered my saleen+upgrade kit today

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2006, 10:51 PM
matto1975
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: ordered my saleen+upgrade kit today

I will get it dynoed probably around mid August...I want to break it in with at least a few hundred miles before I run it up too much. I will post the results when it is done
Old 07-01-2006, 01:36 AM
MikeVistaBlue06
I ♥ Acer

ORIGINAL: matto1975

I got the 10psi upgrade kit with 39lb injectors and other small modifications....it is 475 to the wheels. I actually asked if there was something in between because I am a little worried about that much hp. Saleen assured me it was safe so I am taking their word for it. Thanks for the info on the plugs though...I will remember that for sure
Wow, 10psi! That's definitely the reason why it is 475RWHP!! I've heard of 4psi and 8psi, but not 10psi.

I highly, highly recommend you have a custom dyno tune done the day it is put on! Don't wait!! At 10psi you will generate a lot of heat so a good tune is a must to prevent detonation! You want to be sure your A/F ratio is 11:1 from 4000rpm and up! Be sure you get those "0" plugs installed on the same day as well and before the tune!!

Hope this helps.

Mike
Old 07-01-2006, 05:07 AM
05SDI
3rd Gear Member

I too went with the Saleen S/C and also the upgrade kit through a group buy.

The thing that surprised me the most was there's an intercooler kit that come with this system. I (with acouple of friends) will be installing it once it shows up. I have read through the install instructions (64 page Adobe file downloaded from their site) and it seems pretty straight forward. I also was told 475 RWHP with this kit using their canned PCM reprograming. I was told the speed limiter is removed, red line is still 6200rpm, shift points are 6000rpm (automatic), About the only variables in their canned PMC upgrade is; the additional upgrade kit, tire size, rear end gears, and maunal or auto. I am told that local progammers can get in and change some settings to have a custom tune but Saleen doesn't recommend it. (imagine that! LOL) Our cars will go into their data base as having a Saleen S/C and upgrade, but will never be considered a Saleen car. Don't get me wrong those Saleen stangs are nice but can you say SLEEPER with no cosmetic change! Here little Vetty vetty! (excluding the mighty Z06!, but might even make them wonder for a few seconds.....)

Good luck in your install and keep up posted with picks as I will too.....
05SDI

Sorry this post in incorrect the HP figure of 475 is at the crank NOT at the wheels....
Old 07-01-2006, 12:34 PM
matto1975
2nd Gear Member

where did you find the instruction manual? I can't find it on their site. thx in advance
Old 07-01-2006, 12:49 PM
05SDI
3rd Gear Member

It's on the right just above the price! 05SDI
http://www.saleen.com/SC101_Services...0-1607-B11313*
Old 07-02-2006, 04:25 AM
05HOTROD
2nd Gear Member

are you sure it's 475rwhp, I could of sworn when I talk to the parts manager at saleen he told me the upgrade was 3.8 pulley, which is approximately 6psi, not 10psi which would be the 3.4 pulley. I'm confused now . I got a phone call also, but was debating if I should do it or not. I have the 3.6 pulley with the upgrades from another tuner, but if I can make 475 from saleen's tune and have an OEM appearance that would be great. I will have to confirm this on monday......
Old 07-02-2006, 11:32 AM
jaiasmit
3rd Gear Member

If you're interested at all in this upgrade package, you really should check out the group buy going right now with Haney Motorsports. They can save you some duckies on the upgrade kit (or the SC if you don't already have it, or what the hell get both). It's posted all over the place in the 05/06 Forums. Check it out.
Old 07-02-2006, 12:46 PM
demarcom
2nd Gear Member

my money's on that the upgrade is 475 at the crank, not the rear wheels. That's how Saleen rates all their cars, and 475 at the wheels would be at least 550 at the crank, which is crazy power on stock internals. But we'll see as someone clarifies. BUT 475 is some significant power at the crank.
Old 07-02-2006, 01:49 PM
matto1975
2nd Gear Member

actually I would prefer it to be around 475 at the crank. I want to limit the power until I can rebuild my internals. I asked specifically if it was at the wheels or the crank and he said wheels. I guess we will see but I can only repeat what I was told for now.
Old 07-02-2006, 03:21 PM
jbailer
3rd Gear Member

It's definitely NOT at the crank, that is 475 to the rear wheels @ 10psi. I spoke with the VP of Engineering at length. They have tons of hours on the dyno and feel very comfortable with the tune. Remember, they build these keeping in mind they need to pass emissions tests in 50 states and they need to stay together. I know they are pretty conservative with the timing. I didn't go that route because I wan the freedom to customize more. I bought mine with tune from JDM. With JDM, if I add something, I can get a new tune from them. I don't think you want to get the kit with tune from Saleen and then take it for a local re-tune. My understanding is a re-tune doesn't start from where the existing tune is, all of those tables need to be built. I would only trust that to a handful of people, Saleen and JDM being 2 of them. There are tons of tables in the new PCMs and it literally takes 100s of hours on the dyno to really do all of them justice. A few hours on the dyno will get you running but you could probably expect problem areas and joining the list of people rebuilding their engine if you do that at 10psi.

As for the install, I'll give you a couple tips.

1) When you are installing the small 3" rubber tube in the front of the valley in the engine, the instructions say to orient the clamps so the clips face the passenger. They REALLY mean the passenger, not the passenger compartment and that is ONLY the TOP clamp. This is VERY important, the BOTTOM clamp's clips must face the front towards the passenger's side a little. If you don't, the supercharger will not slide forward enough to align the holes to mount it.

2) With the alternator pulley. Saleen replaced the alternator pulley early this year but somehow some of us are still getting kits with the old pulley. The old pulley measures almost 1+1/8" from 1 side to the end of the boss on the other side. THAT pulley NEEDS a shim that is sometimes not with the kit (check first). The new pulley has a longer boss and doesn't need the shim. It measures about 1.25" from end to end. If you have trouble measuring it, here is a quick test. Put the pulley down on a hard flat surface with the boss down. If you can slide a quarter under the pulley, you're all set. If you can't look for that shim or you'll be waiting for Saleen to ship it. To Saleen's credit, they shipped IMMEDIATELY, no questions asked.

3) If you receive a kit with 4-5 sections stapled together of a photo copied manual, do yourself a favor and get the electronic version off their web site. The pictures in the photo copies are impossible to see and makes it very tough. I didn't know about the online manual until I was almost done. In general, the instructions are fantastic and if you have even the slightest bit of mechanical aptitude, you'll be fine. As far as tools, the only thing that threw me was crimpers for the alternator extension. You need some HUGE very expensive crimpers for that. Fortunately I was able to borrow crimpers for that. -Joe

Quick Reply: ordered my saleen+upgrade kit today