Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Old Timers Perspective (DRIVE THEM)

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2006, 10:29 AM
05Retro
3rd Gear Member

Default Old Timers Perspective (DRIVE THEM)

I'm going to be 56 in a couple of months. I have owned 3 mid 60's era Corvettes and a bunch of mostly GM muscle cars, my first new one was a 69 Chevelle SS 396-375 horse car. My last old car was a 69 base Camaro that was built up and took many trophies at shows and also was a nice street car that was DRIVEN over 40 thousand miles during my ownership of 15 years(sold it about 4 years ago). I bought most of these cars when they were reasonablly priced and I also DROVE them instead of putting them up on a pedestal. I'm glad I owned these cars when I did and cannot believe how the OLD CARS have esculated in price. Even if I had the money I would not buy the new Shelby, how many of these cars will be put up on pedestals hoping for big bucks down the road in resale. My point is I've always beleived if your going to own it Drive it and don't put it up on a pedestal. For now I own an 05 Mustang GT that is driven only in good weather, but it is driven and not stored away in a garage somewhere. These cars were BUILT TO BE DRIVEN , ENJOY THEM AND DON'T PUT THEM ON A PEDESTAL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

[IMG]local://upfiles/13839/641ADBD4196F427294D4F9AD99C63743.jpg[/IMG]
Old 07-02-2006, 12:40 PM
V8O6

Default RE: Old Timers Perspective (DRIVE THEM)

I coudn't agree more!

Eric
Old 07-02-2006, 01:28 PM
MalibuJerry350
1st Gear Member

I couldn't agree more! In 1970 I purchased a brand new Chevelle Malibu and, up until this past February, I drove that car everyday, rain or shine. I had restored it a number of times through the years, but, finally, with over 676,000 miles on the clock, I semi-retired it and bought a 2006 Mustang GT. I belong to Team Chevelle and many people on that board have been critical of me for driving a classic car everyday! However, THAT was the primary reason for buying it in the first place! I just turned 59 years old this past June, but I enjoy driving the Mustang every single day. I still take the Chevelle out, and, after I do another restoration, I will continue to drive it, although not as often. There can be no replacement for all of the memories associated with that car. Hopefully, new memories will be built around the new Mustang! Remember..."if it has wheels, drive it!"
Old 07-02-2006, 02:05 PM
Tres Wright
4th Gear Member

I drive my cars, but if someone can afford to buy one and make a garage queen out of it then more power to them. The ultimate resource when restoring a car is a similar car that is a "survivor" (unrestored, unmolested, all original equipment, hose clamps, etc. in place). Survivors climb in value exponentially compared to a restored example. I would love to have the money and space to buy a bunch of original vintage musclecars, store them in a climate-controlled garage and just take them for a joy ride every couple of weeks. What's wrong with that?
Old 07-02-2006, 04:07 PM
RICAKILLA
2nd Gear Member

A'Men
Old 07-02-2006, 05:20 PM
05ROUSHER
2nd Gear Member

I drive mine everyday. And I do put it through the paces every now and then.[sm=gears.gif]
Old 07-02-2006, 11:26 PM
rhein
1st Gear Member

I've put over 4k miles on mine in 4 months. I drive mine EVERY day (I have a short commute). When my collegues and I go to lunch, I'm the one who drives most often.. I'm taking a road trip to Vegas from Seattle in a little over 18 days..

The only time it will sit is probably in the Dec, Jan, Feb time frame when the roads are icy, other than that, I plan on enjoying this car as much as possible. Why spend so much money on something just to let it sit in the garage?

Of course it means more work keeping it nice, but oh well....

Old 07-02-2006, 11:32 PM
Newbreedgt05
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 05Retro

I'm going to be 56 in a couple of months. I have owned 3 mid 60's era Corvettes and a bunch of mostly GM muscle cars, my first new one was a 69 Chevelle SS 396-375 horse car. My last old car was a 69 base Camaro that was built up and took many trophies at shows and also was a nice street car that was DRIVEN over 40 thousand miles during my ownership of 15 years(sold it about 4 years ago). I bought most of these cars when they were reasonablly priced and I also DROVE them instead of putting them up on a pedestal. I'm glad I owned these cars when I did and cannot believe how the OLD CARS have esculated in price. Even if I had the money I would not buy the new Shelby, how many of these cars will be put up on pedestals hoping for big bucks down the road in resale. My point is I've always beleived if your going to own it Drive it and don't put it up on a pedestal. For now I own an 05 Mustang GT that is driven only in good weather, but it is driven and not stored away in a garage somewhere. These cars were BUILT TO BE DRIVEN , ENJOY THEM AND DON'T PUT THEM ON A PEDESTAL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

So how would you compare this new Mustang to the cars you've owned in the past? I drive mine everyday too and only put it in storage for the winter.
Old 07-03-2006, 12:14 AM
GT John
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 05Retro

Its interesting that I should run across this post.

I'm 59. Back when the Mustang fisrt came out I was 17.

37 years of marrage and four sons later, its just me and the wife at home now. Man, do I ever have a bunch of grand kids now........but thats a different story for a different time.

In my early years I always drove service vehicles as my profession aged I moved up the corporate ladder and always drove new corporate cars.

The corporation I work for now does not furnish cars. I bought my last corporate car a 2001 Chevy Malibu LS drove it for about 3 years. I casualy mentioned to the wife on day that I wanted to buy a new car (I've never owned a new car in my whole life, my wife would get a new car every 5 years).

So one day I get home late from work and my wife says "why ya late" and I say "sorry I'm late but I stopped off and bought a new car on the way home". I'm thinking, he we go! All she says to me is "what color is it" sheepishly I reply "yellow". I'm thinking "boy the screaming going to start any second and I'm getting braced for the on slaught of verbal abuse" All she says is "good, I like yellow". Man, you could have knocked me over with a feather.

The point of all of this is when your a kid you see a lot of nice things other folks have, one being a Mustang, thinking that one of these days, I'm going to have one.

It wasnt until 2004 Ford re-introduced the Mustang of my dreams. It was a wish come true for me. I dont have to tell you that this car is treated like one of the family.

My greatest thrill is to drive it to work every day.........rain......snow......sunshine.......doe snt realy matter, because to me........everyday I drive it to work........ I relive a childhood dream.
Old 07-03-2006, 12:15 AM
backinblack06
3rd Gear Member

I love living in Florida...NO WINTERS. YAY.

I agree, There built to be driven. When the day comes that these cars will be worth tons of money I'll kick myself for driving my baby everyday like she was built to, but I don't have the luxury of dropping 40g's in the car +mods to have her sit in the garage and never be driven. I wish I did but he it's not a perfect world.

Quick Reply: Old Timers Perspective (DRIVE THEM)