Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Just did a GT test drive - interior holding me back!

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2006, 01:29 PM
TinPony
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: Just did a GT test drive - interior holding me back!

You should go spend 45K on a Lexus or something so you wont be embarrassed in front of your friends. !!
Old 07-03-2006, 01:47 PM
markus51
1st Gear Member

CurtX,

Half the fun of owning a Mustang is putting mods into her.. At first, I didn't care for the interior but after seeing all the "Plastic" on other cars including ones from the big Luxury companies, I jumpted on the Stang cuz she's a beast.. It'll grow on ya... Find a nice kit if you really don't like the inerior and enjoy putting it on the car...

And hey, if you'll feel embarrased about your friends being in your car with the interior the way it is... then maybe they don't deserve riding shotgun in a Mustang...

There's my 2 cents...

markus..
Old 07-03-2006, 03:57 PM
StangIt

I cannot think of a car in this price range that doesn't have a mostly plastic interior. So I am not sure what else you would really get that would be more impressive. Are you comparing the Mustang interior to another car in particular? IMO, with the upgrade package, the interior is probably one of the better in this price range. At least you can get some real aluminum on the dash and steering wheel, which is more than most vehicles.

Besides, the 'Stang is not a muscle car. Your paying for the exterior styling and powertrain, both are excellent in this price range.
Old 07-03-2006, 03:59 PM
Derf00
Gentleman's Relish

Even the Infinit G35 (7-10K more) has complaints from it's owners about a 'cheap plastic interior'

If you want a better interior, get ready to reach deep into your pockets and buy a Lexus, BMW, Mercedes, or Acura.
Old 07-03-2006, 03:59 PM
RED121572
4th Gear Member

Have you sat in a new Charger or Magnum? Talk about a cheap interior. As quoted in a magazine I read lately, "The dash is made out of the same plastic that the garbage can in my garage is made from."

Hmmmm. My reaction to the mustang interior was the quite opposite. I find so much more appealing that the past generation cars.
Old 07-03-2006, 04:15 PM
Black06stang
4th Gear Member

I think the interior upgrade package is real metal, because often it feels more cold or hot than the surrounding materials.
Old 07-03-2006, 04:40 PM
tightdogal
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Derf00

Even the Infinit G35 (7-10K more) has complaints from it's owners about a 'cheap plastic interior'

If you want a better interior, get ready to reach deep into your pockets and buy a Lexus, BMW, Mercedes, or Acura.
bah, even a lot of those makes have the same plasticey interior that the mustangs have, a majority of the cars use this now
Old 07-03-2006, 04:56 PM
jay00f4
2nd Gear Member

Yes it is all plastic. But what do you really expect? It is an inexpensive car. $28k by todays standards is not a lot of money for a car. I test drove a 06 and ordered a 07. The interior is lacking and not even close to my M3. But neither is the price tag.
Old 07-03-2006, 09:30 PM
classj
4th Gear Member

I think it is great for a mustang. I have been aorund the older gen mustangs and the interiors in those cars were REALLY bad compared to this one. With the interior upgrade package and leather, it looks very nice. Seats are very comfortable and stay cool.

The E46 M3 interior is nice with all the aluminum, etc. But I still think lexus and VW has most of them beat interior wise. But I wouldent want a lexus interior in a sports car anyway. Some of the new BMW interiors really feel cheap to me latley. I looked at an X3 with a friend and it was worse than the mustang by far IMO. The leather was terrible! Overgrained plastic everywhere.

Considering the X3 in question was 40K dollars. I think ford did pretty good with the fully dressed stang. Everytthing in a BMW, lexus, etc is still plastic. (even the actual Clutch pedal on the BMW believe it or not)

HOWEVER, it I had a wishlist and wanted to nitpick, my own pet peeves on the mustang include:

-No dead pedal plastic or aluminum pad to cover carpet.

-I dont like the handbrake treatment, needs improvment as far as the lack of boot and handle covering.

-Seat back adjustments are notchy and the seat back release to let people in the back is just stupidly executed as it doesent return to your preset adjustment.

-Seat belt height could be adjustable.

-Aluminum dash looks nice and is real. But sometimes I almost think that ford tried to make the aluminum dash look like plastic or something. I thought it was plastic at first, but it is aluminum.
Old 07-03-2006, 09:42 PM
BLACK06GT4ME
2nd Gear Member

If it is IUP it's not plastic. If that keeps you from getting a Mustang then you didn't really want a Mustang.

Quick Reply: Just did a GT test drive - interior holding me back!