Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How to make Garage Door opener work through your highbeams

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2006, 06:56 PM
Mustanger
1st Gear Member

Default How to make Garage Door opener work through your highbeams

Take your garage opener and make a jumper wire and solder the jumper wire from point A to point B shown in diagram. This will make the circuit always open. Now take some wire about 12 inches long, you will need two , one for the pos. connection and one for the neg. connection. Now connect one of the 12" wires to the neg. terminal on the remote, point C in diagram. And the other 12" wire to the pos. terminal on the remote, point D in diagram. I just threaded the wire through the prongs where the battery use to rest, twisted them and wraped in electrical tape. Now put the casing back on. You will have to notch out the plastic a little where the new wire comes out so that the case will close properly. Now go out to your car. Pop your hood. Disconnect the plug to the drivers side headlight. pull the electrical tape back a bit on the wires. splice the positve 12" wire from your remote into the purple/yellow wire which is the 12V source when you flash your highbeams and splice the negative 12" wire into the center black wire on the plug. Get some double sided tape and stick the remote to the side of the car right under the lip next to the airbox. now go flash your highs and your garage door should open. sorry for the crappy write up. I will update with pics later and clean it up a bit.Also this only works with remotes that use 12V current like genie remotes, that is what I have and I dont know what others are.
Old 07-04-2006, 08:53 PM
Redfire
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: How to make Garage Door opener work through your highbeams

Thats all well and good, but to open the door, you have to flash your high beams. Wouldnt it be just as easy to simply push the button on the remote?
Old 07-04-2006, 08:56 PM
XLeatherNeck
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Redfire

Thats all well and good, but to open the door, you have to flash your high beams. Wouldnt it be just as easy to simply push the button on the remote?
Yes, but you won't get as much "cool factor" with an ordinary button...lol
Old 07-04-2006, 09:03 PM
bodyputtyless
3rd Gear Member

Why stop there? Why not make your wiper washer switch activate your lawn sprinklers while you are at it? Is it cool? Yeah...until the double sided tape starts to degrade. Then you have a garage door opener that keeps falling apart whenever your leg hits it while getting out of the car.
Old 07-04-2006, 11:01 PM
Mustanger
1st Gear Member

The remote is in the engine compartment, I do not like having the garage door remote visible in the car, so I converted it to work with the highbeam flasher. If you dont think you would like it then dont do it. It is just a cleaner look for the inside of the car. So go sh*t on someone else's parade. Thanks guy.
Old 07-04-2006, 11:03 PM
Mustanger
1st Gear Member

And to be more specific you dont have to completely turn your highs on just pull the lever like if you were to use them to signal to someone you want to pass.
Old 07-04-2006, 11:09 PM
The Ghost
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: bodyputtyless

Why stop there? Why not make your wiper washer switch activate your lawn sprinklers while you are at it? Is it cool? Yeah...until the double sided tape starts to degrade. Then you have a garage door opener that keeps falling apart whenever your leg hits it while getting out of the car.
Actually, the window washer is WAY more effective if you route it under the dash and fill it with your favorite adult beverage. Then simply pull and pour. And dare them to bust you with an open container. [sm=alcoholic.gif]
Old 07-04-2006, 11:11 PM
lmmmmm
2nd Gear Member

interesting
Old 07-04-2006, 11:51 PM
bl1nk
5th Gear Member

Dunno why everyone is being such an *** about this, I actually thought it was a pretty sweet idea.... do I have a garage door opener? No... but if I did this definately sounds pretty cool.. I have always hated them damn big clunky garage openers hanging on my parents visors and swore if I had to have one, I would buy a vehicle with a compartment for it...just my luck, I dont have a vehicle like that or a garage door opener.
Old 07-05-2006, 12:48 AM
281GT
3rd Gear Member

I agree with bl1nkage. It's different and unique and what's wrong with that? I say thanks to Mustanger for his creative idea.

Quick Reply: How to make Garage Door opener work through your highbeams