Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Explain something to me...antennas

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2006, 07:47 PM
Juntech
3rd Gear Member

Default Explain something to me...antennas

Why does Ford not do away with that massive ugly antenna and integrate a built in strip on the back window? Why do they photoshop it out on all thier brochure pictures too?

The GT500's have it too [:@]
Old 07-04-2006, 10:44 PM
S.SubZero
1st Gear Member

Default RE: Explain something to me...antennas

That is a funny irony. They insist on putting on that ancient stalk antenna, but even THEY don't want to be caught with one.
Old 07-04-2006, 10:47 PM
hammeron
6th Gear Member

the placement and length are engineered for best
FM reception....looks are secondary to Ford
Old 07-04-2006, 11:28 PM
Britinastang
2nd Gear Member

I think I'm one of the few ppl who actually like it..can't explain it either...even my wife hates it, and her bloody father who has only ever seen my car on a webcam and he was like

"is that the antenna?" "whats it doing there; its huge"
Old 07-04-2006, 11:40 PM
W1ldcat
3rd Gear Member

You can go to most part stores and get one that is about a foot long that works fine if you don't like the stock one. That's what I did. It was $6.
Old 07-05-2006, 12:05 AM
ford4v429
3rd Gear Member

I still got a soft spot in my heart (or head) for the dual rear antennas...still think they should make antenna optional- and agree 100% with the 'in the window' suggestion...heck these days you dont need a big antenna...I can replace the 3 foot long wire on my RC helicopter with a 4" base loaded whip without losses- surely theres got to be a reason they dont do it (read- antenna whip=cheep).
Old 07-05-2006, 12:18 AM
olym4gery
1st Gear Member

I'm sure there a performance vs cost and ease of install equation in there somewhere.

I have had cars with windshield mounted antennas............

They are directional to some degree, and replacment cost is crazy, like windshield+embedded ant. cost. Way more expensive than a regular windshield.
Old 07-05-2006, 12:37 AM
bl1nk
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: olym4gery

I have had cars with windshield mounted antennas............

They are directional to some degree, and replacment cost is crazy, like windshield+embedded ant. cost. Way more expensive than a regular windshield.
Thats very true, friend of mine has a windshield mounted one and had a tint strip put across the top. well they screwed it up and had to take it off about a week later and the antenna came off with the tint, she had to have a whole new windshield put it in with a new antenna.
Old 07-05-2006, 12:40 AM
281GT
3rd Gear Member

It's all about function vs. fashion and what the "average consumer" will accept. The average consumer will moan and bitc* like crazy of the radio doesn't work properly so Ford uses and attenna that will work best. If they used a shorty antenna they would get far more complaints about poor reception than they do about the existing antenna.
With all due respect, why do you even bother to complain when a shorty antanna takes 30 seconds to change and is cheap and easy to get??? If you don't like it change it. I'd much rather do something simple like change an antenna than try and do something about poor weight distribution. Ford concentrated their efforts in the right areas and left the nit picky things to people like you.
Old 07-05-2006, 12:40 AM
bl1nk
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 281GT

It's all about function vs. fashion and what the "average consumer" will accept. The average consumer will moan and bitc* like crazy of the raido doesn't work properly so Ford uses and attenna that will work best. If they used a shorty antenna they would get far more complaints about poor reception than they do about the existing antenna.
With all due respect, why do you even bother to complain when a shorty antanna takes 30 seconds to change and is cheap and easy to get??? If you don't like it change it. I'd much rather do something simple like change an antenna than try and do something about poor weight distribution. Ford concentrated their efforts in the right areas and left the nit picky things to people like you.
Harsh but true...

Quick Reply: Explain something to me...antennas