Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

WARNING! Rear Magnetic Blackout Panel Users

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2006, 08:42 PM
Skoshi42
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: WARNING! Rear Magnetic Blackout Panel Users

I figured it out, when water was behind it, i noticed some rust forming behind the magnet on mines... the culprit was actually rust... so every now and then ill take it off to let the magnet breathe and wipe off any rust that was forming...
Old 07-09-2006, 08:45 PM
Goldenpony
5th Gear Member

I bought a carbon fiber panel and had it painted black and it installed with double sided tape. I was not happy with the result after I installed it. I finally just took it off and had the rear painted black by a good body shop and now it looks terrific. I bought a new GT emblem and finished it off. Looks like it came from the factory.
Old 07-10-2006, 04:45 PM
JT_Moore05
2nd Gear Member

EEK! and to think that I was thinking about getting one of those.
Old 07-10-2006, 06:08 PM
GT Premi
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: RANDY SANDOW

I USED SHEET OF TIN FOIL. IT FIT OVER MOST OF THE PAINTED PANEL. DOES ANYONE SEE ANY PROBLEMS WITH THE TIN FOIL? IT HOLDS THE MAGNET GREAT AND PROTECTS THE PAINT.
The first problem with that is, aluminum is not magnetic. The panel won't stick to it and the magnetic charge more than likely won't go through it.[sm=nothatway.gif] The second thing is, if it would stick, the aluminum foil itself would ruin the paint job.
[sm=badidea.gif]
Old 07-11-2006, 01:30 AM
rhein
1st Gear Member

Well, I just put mine on.....

Here's what I did. I tried the T-shirt bit, and it (the magnet) didn't have enough stick to hold on to the car with the T-Shirt material there. So I took it off... Then I had to figure out how to the the double sided tape off I used.... Well I couldn't, so I had to come up with something else. Ended up using the brown paper that it was wrapped in when it showed up. It sticks fine and looks good. The magenet had enough stick to hold on, so it's staying on. I'll probably take it off this winter though, as I don't think the paper will hold up too well to the wet winters here.
Old 07-11-2006, 02:35 AM
Kriger
2nd Gear Member

It was put on the correct way, it's very easy to tell what side which. I also didn't get any pcitures.

I guess with the comments of it only being a v6 really leads to the fact that there are more ******** on here then decent concerned mustang owners. With some of the **** that is said here on these forums FORD should shut them down for using their name. True the mods are trying their best but even they have favorites.

Some of that **** in the o.t. section is a complete embarrassment to the community of these forums which tends to find its way into every other thread[:'(]

I guess everybodies a badass behind a monitor... I go by the concept of treating people how you would in real life & being kind... I guess alot of what you guys have to learn... Nothing I care to stick around forever for and see.
Old 07-11-2006, 11:27 AM
silverado
1st Gear Member

Maybe tape the back with that blue painters tape. Its real thin, will stay on the blackout and shouldnt scratch your stang. I went with the 3D Carbon blackout and had it painted glossy black.
Old 07-11-2006, 12:32 PM
svt2209

I have had mine for over 7 months and in a garage thats gets over 100 degrees in it. As per instructions I take it off every time I wash the car and wax that little area once a month and it still looks awesome with no problems.
Old 07-11-2006, 01:34 PM
rhein
1st Gear Member

Kriger,

Just wanted to say thanks for the heads up on what happened to your car. It sucks that you had to learn about the problem the hard way (V6 or not).

I'm sure others here also appreciate the heads up and the opportunity to address what might be a problem before it actually becomes an issue.

Thanks again.

Old 07-11-2006, 01:48 PM
Anomalus1
1st Gear Member

I've had my car for almost 4 months now, it sits outside everyday (work/home - gotta show it off [8D]), usually in direct sunlight - no shades, and i clean behind the magnet maybe once a month. Never had a problem with it other than it becoming rigid so that it conforms to the shape of the area, a little water fixes that.

Quick Reply: WARNING! Rear Magnetic Blackout Panel Users