Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

WARNING! Rear Magnetic Blackout Panel Users

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2006, 12:29 AM
Kriger
2nd Gear Member

Default WARNING! Rear Magnetic Blackout Panel Users

This is me sharing a very ugly experience, I do not mean to harm anyone in anyway. Consumers need to Know!

The Rear Magnetic Blackout panel that is sold on ebay "from one of the users here" has a major problem!

I attempted to remove the magnetic panel and discovered that it had delaminated and that the back half had melted onto the car.
Insane, I never saw anything like it... that were chunks of delaminated magnet melted to my rear trunk. The magnetic when coming off was very brittle and broke away giving me no other choice but to fully remove it, or what i could remove of it. It took two (2) painstakingly hours of picking away at it to remove the heavy debris left behind and then another half hour of trying to clean off the melt part and buff it out, the result, [:'(] not good, it even pulled some of the paint up... I touched up what I could but it's not perefect. I'm installing a regular one so it will hide the damage done by the magnetic one. I'm guessing the sun had melted to the car... This past winter it was fine, The car will live but if i were to leave it plain without the rear blackout panel... I'd have to get it painted... YES! it's that ****ed up!

I advise in regards to my recent experience that you think twice before deciding to use it and if you have it on... get it off before it's a problem if its not already!
Old 07-07-2006, 12:34 AM
hawgman
I ♥ Acer

Default RE: WARNING! Rear Magnetic Blackout Panel Users

I'm sure not all magnetic blackout panels are equal. Might want to post the brand or who it was purchased from for the benefit of others that own one.
Old 07-07-2006, 12:39 AM
AmericanMuscle4.6GT
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: hawgman

I'm sure not all magnetic blackout panels are equal. Might want to post the brand or who it was purchased from for the benefit of others that own one.

+1; sounds like a crappy brand to me. im sure theres plenty of non-defective ones out there. can someone point me in that direction? where to get a good one for cheap?
Old 07-07-2006, 01:38 AM
mlcrycc
5th Gear Member

AM Muscle,
This is the one I got at Moss Mustang;
http://www.mossmustang.com/Shop/View...eIndexID=48645

It's actually made to apply with 3M tape. I put magnetic tape over the 3M tape to make it magnetic. It's around the edges only, so it really was not secure enough for my taste. So, I also added 4 velcro strips that attach under the trunk lid. Came out great. Easy on, easy clean, or go without....

There are more detailed instructions, with photos, in another thread. Let me know and I will dig it up for you. Whole deal ended up costing about 60 bucks or so......

Mike
Old 07-07-2006, 01:53 AM
Kriger
2nd Gear Member

ok, heres the one from the exact same guy...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/2005-...spagenameZWDVW

The wife said she never seen that look on my face as to when I was standing there staring at this magnet **** melted to my stang... My rage meter overloaded and shorted out causing me to delay my anger until hours later. This is really messed up along with my trunk section... and now the stang is wounded...
Old 07-07-2006, 05:56 AM
Skoshi42
2nd Gear Member

I noticed the same thing too!! i wanted to use some 3M tape (for security purposes) and i didnt have it aligned right so i went to peel back the magnet and it ripped!!! i was like "oh *uck" i already know that its cheap *** magnet material... but if anything happens, ill just have that part of the trunk re-painted black.. or even better carbon fiber trunk!! LOL.. either way its a good excuse for me to do something about that trunk..
Old 07-07-2006, 01:52 PM
rhein
1st Gear Member

Well, CR@P.....

I just ordered one from that guy....... It's supposed to be here in a couple of days, AND I'm taking the car to Vegas shortly there after... Wonder if there is anything I can put under it to protect the paint and keep it from happening to me?

I suppose that stuff get's REALLY hot in the direct sun.

Thanks for the Heads up.

Old 07-07-2006, 02:03 PM
GT Premi
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Kriger
The wife said she never seen that look on my face as to when I was standing there staring at this magnet **** melted to my stang... My rage meter overloaded and shorted out causing me to delay my anger until hours later. This is really messed up along with my trunk section... and now the stang is wounded...
Calm down, guy. It's just a V6. No need to blow a gasket.

j/k
That's too bad what happened.

rhein, try using some plastic wrap (like for food) between the panel and the paint. That might work.
Old 07-07-2006, 02:23 PM
W1ldcat
3rd Gear Member

I got the honeycomb one and like it a lot. I used the 3M tape to put it on. I'm sure at this point it would be a Mother to get off. I almost kicked myself when I saw the one you got. Looked good and is cheaper. I kicked myself ..Till Now
Old 07-07-2006, 02:24 PM
rhein
1st Gear Member

GT Premi,

I thought about that.. But that would probably melt at a pretty low temp, and I wouldn't be supprise if under the Vegas sun if that blackout panel gets over 150 F....

BUT I do have a thought.. Some very thin T-Shirt material, or some very thin denim. Maybe even some butcher paper??

I'll be experementing when I get it.

Thanks for the thought though.

Quick Reply: WARNING! Rear Magnetic Blackout Panel Users