Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How fun is 2009 going to be?

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2006, 08:19 PM
bl1nk
5th Gear Member

Default RE: How fun is 2009 going to be?

ORIGINAL: Sleeper05

ORIGINAL: bl1nkage

ORIGINAL: GT06GT

-Camaro- I believe its a detuned version of the LS2 although it is still claimin 400hp, this is the one that scares me as I think its possibly going to (dont really wanna say it) hand me my ***?

What are your guys thoughts?
The Camaro has 400 HP as a CONCEPT car. The Mustang CONCEPT had 500. Just remember that the HP rating ALWAYS comes down from concept to production.
vette gets lt1...camaro/firebird gets lt1
vette gets ls1...camaro/firebird gets ls1
vette gets ls2...you see the pattern yet? there is no reason whatsoever the new maro won't get the ls2. granted, it MIGHT come in a "385hp" detuned form (reminiscent of the 325hp ls1 vs the vette's 345hp identical motor). it would actually be STRANGE for the camaro NOT to get the 400hp ls2 in some form or another, esp given R&D prices and production numbers of said motor...

what ford needs to do is put out a freaking boss/gt350/mach1 with an NA aluminum block 5.4 3v with 375hp (completely reasonable given the 300-->500 gap right now), which will be just as fast as the maro
I see your point of the pattern but still, EVERY car has ALWAYS dropped alot from concept to production, you cant deny it. Go back and look at any car and the concepts always have tons more hp than the production car. Fact is the concept cars are nice and all but theyre simply too expensive for production so they cut the engine. If they dont cut the engine on the Camaro theres no way it will be in the Mustang price range, especially with the same engine as the vette... theres no doubt about that.

And about Ford coming out with a Boss or Mach 1... what good would that do us? Lol.. we already bought our GT's...
Old 07-07-2006, 08:38 PM
2005MustangGtGuy
2nd Gear Member

I was reading in motor trend that the camaro weights over 4000 pounds as built and they were trying to reduce weight on the car. I guess a lot can happen before the car is released in a few years though
Old 07-08-2006, 01:49 AM
GT06GT
2nd Gear Member

well, the only thing i dont mind being beaten by is an 06 vette or better so im gonna S/C it within the next 2 years I finally got my excuse to S/C it

Oh and for all of you following Imports, I forgot to add the new Skyline GT-R comin to america in spring of 2008. 450 HP AWD and sexy looks to back it up, thank god around 75K or those imports would be rockin us all day long
Old 07-08-2006, 02:47 AM
ThisBlood147
5th Gear Member

All I know is that all the info I'm lookin at right now points to the LS2 Camaro and 6.1 Challenger being heavier and more expensive than the Mustang is right now. The Challenger is supposedly being built on the same platform as the Charger and Chrysler 300, so I'm guessing that 425hp will be pulling the same duty that the current SRT8's are dealing with. And supposedly the new Camaro will feature IRS.......another weight adding feature that will play havoc with anyone who wants to consistantly put down those 400 ponies at the track. And sorry, but there's no way a 400hp LS2 powered car is gonna price in the same MSRP range as the current Mustang GT.

But, if Ford wants the Mustang to compete in this soon to come war.....the mustang will have to be given some added kick under the hood. If the GT500 stays a limited production car, then something in the 30-33K range that falls in between the GT's 300hp and GT500's 500hp needs to be added to the mustang line.......be it a new Mach 1, Boss, or some totally new badge. If this happens, then we could well see a properly matched up second musclecar war.
Old 07-08-2006, 03:16 AM
bl1nk
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: ThisBlood147

But, if Ford wants the Mustang to compete in this soon to come war.....the mustang will have to be given some added kick under the hood. If the GT500 stays a limited production car, then something in the 30-33K range that falls in between the GT's 300hp and GT500's 500hp needs to be added to the mustang line.......be it a new Mach 1, Boss, or some totally new badge. If this happens, then we could well see a properly matched up second musclecar war.
Like I mentioned above though, what good would this do us? We have already bought our GT's...
Old 07-08-2006, 03:26 AM
deezelnut
I ♥ Acer

ORIGINAL: SaleenBuyer

I find it ironic that this is occuring given our current economy and how poorly the automakers are doing. Other than that I love it.
except the economy is not as bad as most people belive
Old 07-08-2006, 04:07 AM
ThisBlood147
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: bl1nkage
Like I mentioned above though, what good would this do us? We have already bought our GT's...
lol Just speaking from a manufacturer's view of the upcoming musclecar wars. But I gotta tell ya.........if a sweet enough new Boss or Mach 1 surfaces for 08 or 09, I'm gonna have a hard time convincing myself not to trade in my 05[:-]
Make a new Boss with an aluminum block 5.4 pushing out 385-400hp NA......with some decent exterior trim changes from the current GT's.......and that whole decision will become academic for me.
Old 07-08-2006, 11:43 AM
SPOOK R/T
2nd Gear Member

Ma Mopar has a 6.4 - 392 cid Hemi rated at 510 hp that is slated to go into the Challenger SRT 8.
Old 07-08-2006, 01:20 PM
ThisBlood147
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: SPOOK R/T

Ma Mopar has a 6.4 - 392 cid Hemi rated at 510 hp that is slated to go into the Challenger SRT 8.
If that's true, it will keep the GT500 company ET-wise.[8D]
Old 07-08-2006, 01:44 PM
Tres Wright
4th Gear Member

It is far too easy for these other manufacturers to talk about how their new hot rod is going to tromp all over the Mustang. Because their hot rods don't exist yet! They can talk about big motors, excellent handling, light weight, hell might as well throw insane gas mileage into the mix as well. I remember the Dodge Daytona was going to be a Mustang killer, but when it finally came out it was a lot heavier and a lot slower than advertised. It's certainly not a bad car, but it's far from a Mustang killer. The SRT8 is better competition; but it's heavy, uses premium only and gets horrible mileage.

The Challenger is supposed to be build on the 500/ Charger chassis. I saw it at the Dallas Auto Show and it is BIG! Don't get too worried about it just yet, it's probably going to have the same motor lineup as the Charger and will probably weigh about the same. Sure they'll no doubt put the SRT8 motor in some version of the Challenger, but if it's as heavy as the Charger it will barely hang with a Mustang even with the big motor in it.

With all the hot vette motors available, the Camaro could be a serious contender. But still there are only rumors about the Camaro going into production, GM is so cash-strapped right now that they're going to have a rough time investing in all the new tooling the Camaro will require.

I would love to see the musclecar wars heat back up again. But I don't see it happening. The Mustang is in its 3rd year of production and there has been no response from the other manufacturers other than a couple of show cars. Pathetic.

Quick Reply: How fun is 2009 going to be?